fritosaregood

audiopulse axis not playing

I just built a box for two audiopulse axis's sealed, with one ive used for a while and a brand new one. They are both dual 2 ohm, I got the box all finished and wired all the coils in series for an 8 ohm load for my home amp for testing, and nothin came one. I checked the final resistance of the box and it read invalid.

I pulled the new sub out and checked each coil and they showed the right resistance, i pulled my older one out and it showed resistance in one coil but in the other it was invalid.

I pulled the older sub out of its old box two days ago and it had a thin layer of saw dust on parts of it, i guess i didnt clean out the box all the way. I used one of the microfiber clothes to wipe off all the saw dust i could see, inner and outer parts of the basket, under cone, magnet.

Also while it was in it box before, (a month ago) i wired it down to 4 ohms to test in my house and it work, after that i had the coil in parallel for a 1 ohm load and it ran fine,

so could the saw dust have messed something up?

or ( as I've been typing this I thought maybe it messed it up this way) when i was cleanin it could i have ripped a wire out some where?

This sub says it can easily be taken apart to do recones, it just has 4 allen bolt holding it on. But is it really that easy. and puttin it back together, is it hard, do i have to get it exactly centered to the mm or anything? ive never taken a sub apart yet.

Edited by fritosaregood

Ok. thinking back a bit ago, i might have messed the sub up a while ago.

Could I have been playing the sub on just one coil if it was wired in parallel and one coil was blown.

What happened was my battery in my trunk slipped and touched the pos and neg speaker terminals, and shut off my amp, leaving me with a thumpin noise when i turned my amp off after that, so maybe this blew one of the coils, here is a link to the topic about what happened: http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...showtopic=22081

Because you're wiring it to an 8-ohm impedance, everything is in series on the two dual 2-ohm subs. So when one coil lets go, everything stops. (similar to old christmas lights, when one bulb burns out the whole strand turns off)

At any rate, as you probably are aware, that one coil which reads open (or invalid) is your problem. There's a chance you snapped the tinsel lead off where the speaker terminal connects to the cone, but you would probably know it. Chances are it's an open coil, a break somewhere in the windings which will need to be reconed.

Being a dual voice coil sub, there's a chance it was already broken before in your old setup and you didn't realize it if you were running the coils in parallel. So yes you could very well have damaged it long ago and are just now realizing it by wiring it differently.

Edited by creyc

Because you're wiring it to an 8-ohm impedance, everything is in series on the two dual 2-ohm subs. So when one coil lets go, everything stops. (similar to old christmas lights, when one bulb burns out the whole strand turns off)

At any rate, as you probably are aware, that one coil which reads open (or invalid) is your problem. There's a chance you snapped the tinsel lead off where the speaker terminal connects to the cone, but you would probably know it. Chances are it's an open coil, a break somewhere in the windings which will need to be reconed.

Being a dual voice coil sub, there's a chance it was already broken before in your old setup and you didn't realize it if you were running the coils in parallel. So yes you could very well have damaged it long ago and are just now realizing it by wiring it differently.

exactly, in series, there is only one path for current to flow, which is why it didn't work. In parallel, there is more than one path for current to flow.While it still worked, yet at a reduced level, and you didn't notice it.

exactly, in series, there is only one path for current to flow, which is why it didn't work. In parallel, there is more than one path for current to flow.While it still worked, yet at a reduced level, and you didn't notice it.

it was with a new box so i guess i just didnt notice...but it still did a 144.1 at a comp a week after i blew the coil,

but yea, i figured thats why it did play while in series, open circuit. I just took the sub apart, and there is a burn spot on the magnet. where it blew.. ill have some pics up soon. there was also some metal shavings in the magnet?

Edited by fritosaregood

it was with a new box so i guess i just didnt notice...but it still did a 144.1 at a comp a week after i blew the coil,

but yea, i knew thats why it did play while in series. I just took the sub apart, and there is a burn spot on the magnet. where it blew.. ill have some pics up soon. there was also some metal shavings in the magnet?

Probably pieces of coil.

but yea, i knew thats why it did play while in series. I just took the sub apart, and there is a burn spot on the magnet. where it blew.. ill have some pics up soon. there was also some metal shavings in the magnet?

Probably pieces of coil.

it doesnt look like copper?

this makes me sad :(

on the other hand, if you were happy with the way it performed off of a single coil with probably only half the power you though it was getting, there is only room for improvement!

this makes me sad :(

on the other hand, if you were happy with the way it performed off of a single coil with probably only half the power you though it was getting, there is only room for improvement!

im sad now too,

but as for improvement. i was at a comp a few weeks back (this is after i blew the coil), i forgot to turn my eq back to my comp setting, and it did a 144.1 so i figured id do a few dbs higher with it on the eq on the comp setting (which used all 3000watts the sundown can put out), but now i find that it was only on 1 coil too. thats makin me think this is one beast of a subwoofer.. good thing i just got the another for half off.

And with my new axis, they all come with a sheet of the specific t/s parameters for each driver, and the new one, is just a little better in all of the parameters than my old one..

im goin to miss the thought of having two 15 though.

Will they recone your old one?

I emailed them about it earlier.

but Ive never done one and I'm not sure exactly what it consists of. Will i get a new basket, cone, coil. ect. assembly. or will i just get a cone and coil and have to glue it to the existing basket?

Just soft parts- cone and coil. Have to glue the surround and spider to the basket.

Oh man...

So you did a 144.1 with the wrong eq settings and 800 watts. not bad at all!

yea and at 41 hz. i also did a 140 is at 25 hz.. but im gonna be puttin my new axis in the old ported box for now, itll hold me down till i get a recone done.