jonbearsmt

a few E8 questions.

ok well im getting all my stuff togather to start glassing the doors......

i got my mdf rings in today.... i pulled out a E8 to check the fit... it is perfect!

but!

see here....... a

e8

Picture155.jpg

its all free and open right near the gasket....

1 MDF ring......Picture156.jpg

see how it closes off some of the free area near the gasket.....

lets see two rings.

Picture157.jpg

it seems to close it all off..... am i gonna have a problem with choking the sub???

thats my first question...

my second is....

im gonna be running these 2 8's for mid bass...... what amp should i use to really power these big boys?

i currently own a 100.4..... but if you feel i should pic up another amp i sure will jacob thanks!

I wouldn't worry about choking it. How do you think the quadruple baffled subwoofer guys get away with it lol.

As far as power, are you running active up front yet? You could bridge the 100.4 you have now for the E8's, then pick up a 100.4D for running your front stage active.

i did think about the multi baffle guys... but i just wanted to be sure!

i am not active at this point....... putting these in the doors is gonna be my first step!

now heres where i start over thinking powering issues......

i can run this 100.4 at 4 ohms and use it only for the 8's

or i can pick up another amp...(125,100, or the 1000) use the new amp for the 8's.... and use 2 channels of the 100.4 for tweets and then say fuck it go 3 way active........

tell me john tell me

If you don't mind doing a lot of tuning, and have access to the amps for the tuning I say go for it.

If you want to do all the processing from the HU it gets expensive, if you don't mind that, go for it!

i hate tuning..... and this is what has stoped me in the past from going even 2 way active... now im thinking 3 way active!!! im really making my own nightmare!

I was weary about 2-way active but after doing it, i absolutely love the tweaking! When you have a lot of control over your setup you can really get spot on with your sound, its fantastic. Gives me a reason to own a Pioneer 880 with L/R 16 band eq

see thats another issue i may have.... i have a avh-p5700dvd

its a older deck but it has a bit of control over... i donno if its enough

i hate tuning..... and this is what has stoped me in the past from going even 2 way active... now im thinking 3 way active!!! im really making my own nightmare!

I may be making the same nightmare :) I'm putting together my first system in 18 years and its going to be 3 way active. I'm both excited and cautious at the same time. I'm going to use the crossovers on my 100.4D's, we will see how that goes !!

I'd like to see how your doors come out. I'm putting E8's in mine as well. Tomorrow I'm going to check how much clearance they will have between the magnet and the window. I'm hoping that with a single spacer I'll have enough room because I'll still be able to fit the stock speaker grills on if I only use one spacer.

that is gonna be my big problem... i would LOVE it to look factory still... but i dont have pop in OEM grills or covers... mine is a whole friggin door panel

keep a log of your build im very intrested in how you can help me! hahaha

that is gonna be my big problem... i would LOVE it to look factory still... but i dont have pop in OEM grills or covers... mine is a whole friggin door panel

keep a log of your build im very intrested in how you can help me! hahaha

I sure will. Once I start building, I'll create a build log thread. Tomorrow my Seas tweets should come in and I'll have all my drivers. I just might have to wait till after the new year to start building, I'll see if I can squeeze some in before then. All that family stuff keeps getting in the way :)

With the new 100.4D, you'll have everything you need. Run the front output from the HU to the D, and run the rear to the old bridged 100.4. Highpass the old 100.4, and put a lowpass on it at around 400hz.

The rest I can't tell you now because I forgot what front speakers you were getting.

......subscribed

what are you using for the rear fill? still the nightshades?

mind PM me how you find them compared to the BTL's on all aspects?

......subscribed

what are you using for the rear fill? still the nightshades?

mind PM me how you find them compared to the BTL's on all aspects?

He had BL's, and he said the Nightshades are louder :)

john im glad you bring that up... i have no clue what else im gonna use...... im open!

i figured i would try to tackle what i think is gonna be the hard part.... puttin 8s in the doors.

no rear fill.... front stage only... so its gotta be strong.

still the nightshades, and i only owned the BLs never the btls

If you hate tuning I would not recommend going active. What components will make up your front stage? I would run the E8's Band Pass and a set of comps passive. (Midbass, Main Tweet on axis and an image Tweet). This could be done with just one 100.4 but if you want the extra power add another or a 125.2.

CDT has some killer Passive crossover networks. The EX-560i's are amazing. They can handle just about any amount of power without cutting any frequencies.

Edited by P-Dizzle

An SAX-125.2 + SAX-100.4 can handle a fully active 3-way with no external crossovers.

Without a doubt... The question is weather or not you want to do the tuning....

Those who run active that don't like to tune tend to blow chit... And yes Jacob, your amps have some of the best crossover configurations there are.

An SAX-125.2 + SAX-100.4 can handle a fully active 3-way with no external crossovers.

Well, the new ones will, but he has an older 100.4 iirc.

Well, the new ones will, but he has an older 100.4 iirc.

The previous 100.4 can handle it as well.

Yes, indeed.

The newer one adds even more functionality - but you can still handle all the duties of the top 2 parts of a 3-way with the older ones :)

so i should pick up a 125 or a 100?

im not even sure if going three way is what i should do...

i may be biting more then i can chew, ill need to run my 8's down far below and my arm level and my tweets even higher huh?

i have not picked out anything other then the 8's i have and the 100.4 i have.

I wasn't aware that you could band-pass with the old one too

Yep! Just not effectively when bridged if you were using it for big midbass drivers.

Also could not band-pass with the old 100.2 - but you can with the 125.2

I say add a 125.2 for the E8's. The 125.2's is one of my most favorite amps. Front stage, Rear fill, Sub stage, this amp has the answer. Power and control.