gldnbuddy

2-12's or 1-12?

Would it sound better to have 1 $300 sub or 2 $150 subs ( 12" powered by 1 950Wrms amp)?

Or maybe 2 $150 subs powered by 2 650Wrms amps?

What are you goals,which subs are you talking about, what amp are you talking about, what kind of music do you listen to, what kind of box will you be using.

Those are some questions that will help us help you decide better.

What are you goals,which subs are you talking about, what amp are you talking about, what kind of music do you listen to, what kind of box will you be using.

Can't forget the vehicle it's going in!

That should be a univerrsal post for everyone that asks haha

I don't have any goals and this is an entry-level system that I want to be better than entry level. I know enough about electronics to be dangerous and that's it. I have money to spend but don't want to get out of control ( this is not for competition ).

I'm trying to tweak this plan ( but everyone tells me the stuff I'm thinking about buying is crap!) -

vehicle : '01 Tahoe

head: Alpine CDE 9874 45X4 already in ( has setable crossovers)

door spkrs: Mid price range Alpine (forgot model) already in

4-channel amp: Alpine RP F300 75X4 purchased but not in

Mono amp: Hifonics Brutus 2000W not purchased

Subs: 2 Power Acoustik MOFO-12 1200W not purchased (wired parallel at 1ohm)

enclosure: Sonic ported 3.0^3ft not purchased

I listen to old school country (Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Willie) LOL No really-Rock,Pop some Eminem/Nelly type rap

Cross the MOFO's and that Prefabricated box off your list right now.

Take the money you were going to spend on both of those items and give us a budget.

The next thing to think about is how you're going to power that "2kW" amplifier. What electrical upgrades have you planned out?

OK! How about 2 Kicker CVX12D2 subs 750W. They're $179 new $149 refurb. Thats tops for my budget on subs. Whats wrong with the pre-fab box? I know I'll have to upgrade the alt. I have a Monster 300series 1000W power kit. What size cap should I get. Do I need separate cap for 300W 4ch Alpine amp?

What else needs upgraded besides alt?

Edited by buttmonkey

OK! How about 2 Kicker CVX12D2 subs 750W. They're $179 new $149 refurb. Thats tops for my budget on subs. Whats wrong with the pre-fab box? I know I'll have to upgrade the alt. I have a Monster 300series 1000W power kit. What size cap should I get. Do I need separate cap for 300W 4ch Alpine amp?

What else needs upgraded besides alt?

1. Set your budget higher for subs, you get what you pay for.

2. Pre-fabricated boxes are poor quality and aren't made for a certain woofer. Not very musical either.

3.Yes get a new alt, you need batteries as well.

4. DO NOT GET A POWER CAPACITOR

135 would do you good but 200 is even better.

He means extra batteries, to help keep the juice flowing to the amps.

And don't waste the money on a capacitor.

Whats your budget for subs?

$175 tops for subs. IA Lethal Injections are on sale for $162 I think I'll go with those.

Where would I put another battery? Inside my truck!? (Tahoe) Isn't that what the caps are for? Why does it show caps in every car audio diagram then?

$175 tops for subs. IA Lethal Injections are on sale for $162 I think I'll go with those.

Where would I put another battery? Inside my truck!? (Tahoe) Isn't that what the caps are for? Why does it show caps in every car audio diagram then?

DO NOT USE A POWER CAPACITOR! A Battery or two will be much better for you.

the IA Lethal injection are 152 right now for the black and blue sale... I would go with those

Dont waste money on a pre-fab enclosure too!

capacitors suck

^ I agree

Yes the battery will go inside of your truck.

If I get a 200A alternator why do I need a battery? How would it be wired?

^ I agree

you need the extra batteries to store that energy. Wiring the battery: connect it in parallel with you other battery, + to + & - to -. also it would good to have a fuse at both batteries. for wiring the alternator, a run of 0 gauge from the alternators positive post to the battery's positive (use a fuse). then also use 0 gauge to ground the alt too.

^ I agree

you need the extra batteries to store that energy. Wiring the battery: connect it in parallel with you other battery, + to + & - to -. also it would good to have a fuse at both batteries. for wiring the alternator, a run of 0 gauge from the alternators positive post to the battery's positive (use a fuse). then also use 0 gauge to ground the alt too.

Dont wire it like that! just run 1]0 AWG from the front positive terminal, to the positive of the other battery and ground the battery to the chassis. fuses in between.

do it like this:

chassis ground -----(neg-) front battery +------fuse--------------------------------------------fuse-----+back battery (neg-) -------ground to chassis

^ I agree

Dont wire it like that! just run 1]0 AWG from the front positive terminal, to the positive of the other battery and ground the battery to the chassis. fuses in between.

do it like this:

chassis ground -----(neg-) front battery +------fuse--------------------------------------------fuse-----+back battery (neg-) -------ground to chassis

yea. i was just bein general about how to wire parallel.

Okay.

^ I agree

do it like this:

yea. i was just bein general about how to wire parallel.

You have 2 fuses in between the batteries? That doesn't make any sense. The current will not change in between the batteries. By Ohms law a 2300W(peak) system will draw 191A, wouldn't I need 1 200A fuse?

You have 2 fuses in between the batteries? That doesn't make any sense. The current will not change in between the batteries. By Ohms law a 2300W(peak) system will draw 191A, wouldn't I need 1 200A fuse?

The first fuse between the batteries is before the wire passes through your firewall, then the second fuse is after the firewall, both within 18" of their respective batteries. Prevents a dead short should you ever get into an accident, or accidentally drill through or pinch through the casing on your wire.

Comprende'?