Derrick824

Testing all the SAZ amps

We did some comparative testing between all the Sundown Audio SAZ series amplifiers today.

The saz-1000d, saz-1500d, saz-2000d, and the saz-3000d.

100_1922.jpg

100_1923.jpg

100_1924.jpg

100_1921.jpg

100_1925.jpg

Guts of the new saz-1000d. This thing is a lil powerhouse.

100_1929.jpg

100_1930.jpg

100_1931.jpg

100_1932.jpg

All testing was done in my '93 Explorer Sport on a single stock Sundown NightShade 15". The weather was very cold today down in the 30s. My peak frquency was off cause of the cold and overall I was down 0.8db with all amps but this test was only for comparison purposes anyways just to show the difference on the TL from one to the other.

Up first the lil saz-1000d. It's so cute!

100_1917.jpg

100_1916.jpg

100_1928.jpg

Then the saz-1500d. 1.5db gain in a direct swap.

100_1927.jpg

Next is the saz-2000d. Another 0.8db gain with it.

100_1935.jpg

100_1933.jpg

Last up was the saz-3000d. 0.7db up from there.

100_1937.jpg

100_1936.jpg

All scores were done with the vehicle sealed & the mic on the windshield.

Nice work Derrick :)

SAZ-1000D to SAZ-1500D seems to be totally linear from the rated power increase... add 50% more power and you should gain 1.5 dB and you did.

With the SAZ-1500D to SAZ-2000D you are adding 33% more power which should result in around 1 dB - it was close with 0.8 dB.

With the SAZ-2000D to SAZ-3000D you are adding 33% more power again - and it was still pretty close at 0.7 dB.

That is fudging awesome... I wish I had time to still do ish like this like back in the ol' days.

Just curious - how were the gains adjusted?

I adjust all my settings the old school way completely by ear. Even though I'm a total basshead I really do have a pretty good ear for tuning.

IMO the saz-1500d and the saz-2000d are right in the sweet spot for powering this sub since it's stock. I wouldn't dare try to power it with the saz-3000d at full power daily. Now I need to do some testing with my custom built NightShade 18"s. They have the cooling option & longer coil plus the stiffer spider to handle the saz-3000d daily.

Just curious - how were the gains adjusted?

I adjust all my settings the old school way completely by ear. Even though I'm a total basshead I really do have a pretty good ear for tuning.

By ear is the best way in my book. Even when I tune with a scope or a DMM I still usually make the final adjustments by ear.

I guess we could redo this same test in bangin's Altima for the trunk guys. So far in testing with his pair of T1 15s he's done almost identical #s (within 0.2db) as I did above using the saz-1500d and saz-2000d. We have yet to test the saz-1000d or saz-3000d in his car though.

I guess we could redo this same test in bangin's Altima for the trunk guys. So far in testing with his pair of T1 15s he's done almost identical #s (within 0.2db) as I did above using the saz-1500d and saz-2000d. We have yet to test the saz-1000d or saz-3000d in his car though.

I think that is worth taking a day off of work to do....

When does the SAZ2000D Come out?

Late spring...

UGHHHHHH!!! SO FAR....

SAZ-1000D to SAZ-1500D seems to be totally linear from the rated power increase... add 50% more power and you should gain 1.5 dB and you did.

With the SAZ-1500D to SAZ-2000D you are adding 33% more power which should result in around 1 dB - it was close with 0.8 dB.

With the SAZ-2000D to SAZ-3000D you are adding 33% more power again - and it was still pretty close at 0.7 dB.

I would also assume, that, by the time you get to the 2kd, the rise in coil temp has created some added resistance causing a slight drop in output, am I correct with saying that? Therefore, would probably be linear just like the 1kd to 1.5kd test.

Also, when the 3k is in use, power compression might also play a part in this role, would it not? Thus, making the end results even more impressive to behold imo.

I would also assume, that, by the time you get to the 2kd, the rise in coil temp has created some added resistance causing a slight drop in output, am I correct with saying that? Therefore, would probably be linear just like the 1kd to 1.5kd test.

Also, when the 3k is in use, power compression might also play a part in this role, would it not? Thus, making the end results even more impressive to behold imo.

There was a good bit of time between each test. (It pretty much took about 4 hours) It wasn't a swap and play, swap and play deal.

Edited by banginAltima

man i want that 2000d i'll be on the look out for the presale even if it's months away :(

Edited by clouduz

There was a good bit of time between each test. (It pretty much took about 4 hours) It wasn't a swap and play, swap and play deal.

That and the fact that temp was in the 30s. The sub never got warm at all. I do believe power compression did come into play with the 3000d. This sub is an original stock NightShade and doesn't take a lot of power to get moving well.

Awesome information. It's hard to come across such simple, scientific data showing the difference of one variable in a real world setting. It's quite helpful to us tinkers, kudos!

I got some more testing done today since the weather was a bit better. Temperature was in the upper 40*s. Everything else was identical to the previous testing on Saturday.

saz-1500d

100_1947.jpg

saz-2000d

100_1944.jpg

saz-3000d

100_1946.jpg

Much better scores today. :22) Even though I didn't get to test the saz-1000d I think it's a safe guess to say that it would also be somewhere between 0.9-1.1db louder hitting around 147.5db.

You must have used a Probox grill.

Huh? :huh::blink::huh::blink:

Thats a joke. Probox has a grill they say will increase SPL by 3 dB.