CadillacMatt

Got me a Chevy hot rod

Well, sorta.

My friend told me about a '70 Chevy C10 pickup that a buddy of his was selling for $500, so I figured while I had a little extra money I'd pick it up and have something to play with :)

It's got an Olds 455 big block motor in it, rebuilt Holley 600 carb, new water pump, new distributor/wiring, new fan.

She's not very pretty to look at right now but that'll change once I get it running well... I'm having trouble getting the engine to start for one, the guy told me it ran fine but I can't get the thing to run for more than a few seconds before it dies. Also, the entire brake system needs to be replaced (master cylinder, lines, shoes, wheel cylinders) as do the transmission fluid lines. The speedo is not hooked up due to it being a different transmission than what was originally in the truck... there is no bottom to the bed, most of the knobs/levers are rusty and temperamental, the wiring is finicky... yeah it's going to be a project.

But on the plus side, the motor makes upwards of 330HP stock so it's gonna be a beast once it runs properly. Some redneck who had it before the previous owner got ahold of some spray paint and did some custom two tone on the hood there :suicide-santa:

DCP_0055-1.jpg

DCP_0056-1.jpg

DCP_0057-1.jpg

sweet truck... need ALOT of work tho...

so your sayin it starts up but shuts down right away?

Cool buy, i don't know if i would have lol but thats just because i wouldn't have the money to fix it all up.

But if you do thats gunna be a clean truck.

cool thing about these trucks is that they are clean slates......

you can do just about what ever you want in them.

the breaks, is gonna be the bitch part,.

sweet truck... need ALOT of work tho...

so your sayin it starts up but shuts down right away?

Yeah, the dude had it running yesterday so I am going to take the plugs out tomorrow and make sure they aren't fouled by fuel, maybe get some starting fluid to help it along.

Cool buy, i don't know if i would have lol but thats just because i wouldn't have the money to fix it all up.

But if you do thats gunna be a clean truck.

I look at it as getting a sweet deal on a badass big block/tranny, with a free Chevy body attached ;)

Most of what you see is cosmetic... Once I get it physically running, me and my buddy plan to sand the truck down, get it in one solid color of primer (black or gray), sandblast the wheels and spray them, lay down a new bed bottom, and replace the windshield (eventually cut the top off and fabricate a removeable soft top :ohsnap: )

Other than that, I can sand down the rusty floor and cover it with carpet, and I'm thinking vinyl wrapping on most of the unsightly metal.

Since we are going to do most of the labor ourselves that should keep the costs down quite a bit... eventually I'd like to see this bad boy slammed on air bags :attempt:

Just a little different from driving the Lac ;) But now I have Beauty and the Beast :)

Edited by CadillacMatt

Good luck, that is a ton of work!

Whoa..

Cud slap a huge motor under the hood..

lol it is a big motor.

those trucks move my bro in law has one i loved driving it.. YOU couldn't use 1 gear thought the front tires would come off the ground lol :nightrider:

damn, nice find, wish i could get my hands on one, as well as some cash too! hahah, good luck with it

Whoa..

Cud slap a huge motor under the hood..

lol it is a big motor.

lol

Thanks for the comments guys I found out she's been sitting for a few years so the gas is bad and the carb probably needs to be cleaned, still haven't been able to get her running yet. The Caddy needs an Idle Speed Control motor and a new fuel sending unit (about $400 all together with labor and parts) so the Chevy will probably be sitting for a short while longer...

bigjon I got those pods done and I will try and make a trip up there soon man

hell yes....

say i sold my old school....

sold my rims.

sold my buick,

sold another towncar i had,

and im building a new box and getting ready for this show in late march!

i cant wait to hear those pods.

hell yes....

say i sold my old school....

sold my rims.

sold my buick,

sold another towncar i had,

and im building a new box and getting ready for this show in late march!

i cant wait to hear those pods.

What?? You sold your rims? :bull:

You sold all that stuff? You must be planning something big

i shit you not.

Picture231.jpg

stupid me.. i got the big breaks on my car any 15 inch rims wont even fit it now... cause of the caliper.....

so i cant even drive it now :))

Hey CadillacMatt, nice '70 u picked up there. W/that big block in there, it should be a beast if you can get it running right. If you go to Chevy Truck Forum you can find any and all info you'll ever need on fixing that thing up. I have a '67 SWB and a '71 Burb that I've been working on myself.