Has anyone ever done this? I'm going to be making custom door panels and would like to incorporate the HU into the drivers side door. I am looking for a unit that will be compatible with this mounting scheme.

Have I done it? No

Have I played with a friends showcar which had a near vertical mount before? Yes.

Which unit is good? IIRC, he used a Kenwood Excelon ('01).

A few years ago my buddy did this in his Eclipse. Except, he installed it (at nearly 90*) in a custom center console to be hidden under the 'armrest'.

Clearance was an issue, but I'm sure that you're aware of that. Heat build up also. Otherwise, with the design of decks know, I believe that almost any unit should be safe to go vertical with.

Take a deck you have laying around, wire it up (in house) free air. Play a disc and then hold it vertical, sideways, 230*, whatever. You should be good until you start getting to the point of upside down.

Oh, mounting, Jay had a female dog of a time with mounting. Originally his mount was to rigid and the fudgeer skipped on often enough. After modding to a mount that "floated" more, he had no problems whatsoever.

$0.02

Nick

Thanks! I had planned on some sort of isolation, but not yet sure. I don't think heat will be too much of an issue being as how I won't be using the internal power of the HU, if the model I get even has internal amplification.

I believe it's Land Rovers( older ones) that have the H/U on a 75* angle in the center console, so its been done before

This will be between 80 and 90 degrees. A second option I have would be to mount on the headliner directly above and in front of me. Only thing bothering me about that is loss of vision. I have no real idea on how low it may hang. Guess it's time to play.

thats where they put em in semi trucks.

Shaq has his in his headliner