Duke

TLine for 15" lvl 2.

Almost done. Its going in a Durango. The first TLine I've designed and built myself.

P2090001.jpg

P2090005.jpg

P2090006.jpg

P2090016.jpg

P2090017.jpg

P2100020.jpg

P2100022.jpg

P2100023.jpg

P2100024.jpg

P2110009.jpg

P2110011.jpg

P2120002.jpg

Nice!! I remeber those ones with the silver baskets

looking good hope it works out great .. can u say LOWWWWWWWSSSSS

i don't know much about T-line enclosure design, but i find that looking more like a very low tuned ported enclosure, than a true T-line design..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_transmission_lines

1354_MLTQWT.gif

^this tapered design is one i know..

another design is where the entire inside of the enclosure has the same 'port' area throughout.. (like if a sub is placed in an open ended long pipe, where the pipe has the same area as the SD of the sub) i think it is called a 1/4 wave design or something...

-------------------------------

P2120002.jpg

^ from my experience, i'm seeing a ported enclosure with a really long port..

if i'm wrong, please let me know...

Edited by 3stagevtec

Kind of looks like a dog...

Fox.jpg

Its really not though. Point being:

Yes, this is not going to be a true TL. I still have alot of learning to do, but this enclosure was not designed as a ported enclosure. I calculated the parameters (chamber volume, line length and "port" surface area") myself and decided on the off axis loading because that is what seems to work best in a Durango from my experience. Those TLs you show above are for a home. They are probably TQWPs. Yes, my box has a port, but it is not a ported box. You could probably model it up as a ported box in many different box modeling programs that simply show a cheap velocity profile in an anechoic environment, and you'd probably end up with a very different graph than what is actually going to happen... even in the room of a home.

Here is what WinIsd says about it as a ported box.

sadlkfjioerjgo34jtnhj34njknk.jpg

Transmission lines and horns come in many different shapes and forms, one of which can be a perfectly straight line/port with a square compression chamber, which would make it look just like a ported box. I have no idea what this box is going to do once hooked up, but I do have high hopes for it, especially below 35 hz. :) Also, 1/4 wave designs probably don't work too well in vehicles... although I'm sure it can be done. The taper in box designing is something I'm not comfortable with exploring just yet until I have a better understanding of how certain air masses interact in various environments. Pics now. :)

P2130002.jpg

P2130004.jpg

P2130008.jpg

P2130009.jpg

P2130010.jpg

P2130011.jpg

P2130014.jpg

P2130015.jpg

P2130012.jpg

I think he approves.

P2130016.jpg

P2130020.jpg

P2130021.jpg

i'm curious to see how this would compare to a regular, low tuned ported enclosure..

------------------------------------------------

a friend of mine built this 1/4 wave T Line..

re.jpg

it sounded pretty good and did hit some nice lows... but i wasn't convinced enough to try one..

Nice job on the box. :)

chambered t-line...I have a chambered t-line designs I wanting to try out also...but for single 10 and 12 inch subs.

so that's what you call it...

I'm interested to see how it sounds.

I just finnished a 1/4 wave T-line for a single Sundown e8 and I can't wait to get it installed.

BTW is that particle board?

Yeah, its particle board. This box sounds awesome and gets quite loud between 35 and 50 hz. It needs a better EQ to boost the low end of things. The excursion gets less and less the farther down in frequency we go, yet the output is still extremely loud. Box is a total success. I'm going to hook it up to my 40.1 in my truck sometime to see if a power upgrade would be worth it. I can't really video it right now... with sound that is. I'll also get an installed pic soon. The box isn't going to be painted or anything for a while. As for how this compares to a low tuned ported enclosure... I'm sure they would have comparable output, but I don't think a ported enclosure would exhibit the bandwidth that this box can do... especially since ported enclosures love to start unloading like crazy below the tuning frequency, whereas, this one has insanely awesome excursion control at the lowest of lows in most music.

How much power do you have on it right now?

What did you "tune" the line to?

Edited by SPY

I don't know how much power its actually getting. It claims 1500 on 14.4v and 2 ohm, but that is overrated. The amp has fusing of 80 amps, and there aren't a whole lot of internals. Its also a class A/B. :( As for the "line tuning", I'll have to reverse crunch some of my numbers as I can't give a straight answer on that one. Give me a bit... I'm working out and screwing around on here in between sets.

Physical line tuning is somewhere between 47 and 55. The resonant frequency of the Durango is somewhere around 52 by my experience. I also factored in a small amount of "port" throat length to driver's head rest as well as the rough amount of height and width of the vehicle. This box is a total success though!!!!!!!

I made a box similar to this for a 15, a chamber and a very long port it was the length of a 33 hz wave, but it really does end up being a low tuned box with cone control. It loves the lows.

PA050137.jpg

i had one of these in it

PB080171.jpg

I made a box similar to this for a 15, a chamber and a very long port it was the length of a 33 hz wave, but it really does end up being a low tuned box with cone control. It loves the lows.

Neat. I'm assuming you don't mean the full wave... that doesn't look 30+ feet long.

Neat. I'm assuming you don't mean the full wave... that doesn't look 30+ feet long.

oh yea. it was quarter wave

in those boxes, does the port contribute alot to the overall output of the system? (does the port itself get loud, like a regular ported box)

i have 1 of these lvl 2 15 also ported @ 30hz...i have it running on 1000watts....this thing bumps...cant wait to get 2 more...but anyways it looks great.!

None of the boxes in this thread are remotely close to a T-line...

thats why i posted my pic, of wat i first thought would make a tline but ended up being a low tuned ported box.

fritos yours is not a chambered t-line....dukes is actually a chambered t-line...not a straight up 1/4 wave resonator like you usually see. Still is a t-line though...iirc its called a MLTL in the diy home audio crowd. (mass loaded transmission line)

Edited by aznboi3644

We're talking just regular chambered or straight T Lines here... how do these not resemble a T-Line? I think you're exaggerating your statement a bit.

fritos yours is not a chambered t-line....dukes is actually a chambered t-line...not a straight up 1/4 wave resonator like you usually see. Still is a t-line though...iirc its called a MLTL in the diy home audio crowd. (mass loaded transmission line)

Word.

Edited by Duke