clifford3030

My Q puked out a metal chunk

So I bought my Fi Q 15" a little over a year ago but due to a DUI its only gotten about 4 months if that of playing time. I just got my license back so i was excited to finally get to hear it again. After only a couple of days it shot out a large cylindrical metal piece through the dustcap. The dust cap is fractured but the the insides of the sub look fine(coils and whatever else i can see). I've never seen this happen before in person or online.

I have it in about a 4 cubic foot box tuned to 32 hz. Its on a USAmps XT2000D and definately not recieving full power for the sub and the gains are turned down. I didn't change anything in the setup since i last drove it a year ago so I don't understand what happened.

Has this happened to anyone else? Also, curious about getting it fixed. Will try to get pix up tomorrow or thursday just can't stop thinkin about it so lookin for answers.

wow, i cant wait to see this

Oh ya and to add.... surprisingly this brought a huge smile to my face for awhile after.... it still plays and doesn't sound to off since its in the trunk of a diamante

wow, i cant wait to see this

Oh ya and to add.... surprisingly this brought a huge smile to my face for awhile after.... it still plays and doesn't sound to off since its in the trunk of a diamante

playing a sub without a dustcap, and it just shot a piece out of itself... hmmm... :Doh:

picture whores are waiting....

not saying it was something you did, but that amp on that woofer, i'm sure you were stressing it out, even if the gains are lowered, if the signal is still strong and you turn up the volume on your deck enough, it will clip.

I guess your looking for a recone...email me your info.

Send it into us, we'll get it taken care of and back out to you.

Damn, the cone cam unglued from the coil from the looks of it.

ya thats what i was thinkin? Does this happen often?

Edited by clifford3030

Damn, the cone cam unglued from the coil from the looks of it.

ya thats what i was thinkin? Does this happen often?

No.

if that happened to mine, it would destroy my car :lol:

i'm pretty sure it is a cooling option. it plugs the pole vent and changes the way the air flows. looks like it came lose and pushed its way up, breaking the dust cap :)

Nick/Scott correct me if i'm wrong

-Drew

yeah i'm no woofer designer (yet) but when the pole vent is plugged at the top i think it forces are into the gap and across the coil instead of right out the bottom. Just some brainstorming :)

-Drew

Playing below tuning, slammed the coil into the back plate..

Definately wasn't playin below tuning as 32 hz is an estimate but its actually a bit lower, plus the cd's i've been playin over the weekend(which is all the playing time its got in the past year) don't have any low notes around my tuning. I'm no expert or even close but I do know what has been played on it.

Its been a fun experience so time for a recone and back to business. And this finally will force me to build a new box like i've been trying to do for over a year.

No he has one of the first BP Power optioned subs.

We've only had it happen to 2 subs out of thousands that have been built...

I'll take that as an acceptable issue rate for all hand built in house subs :).

We'll get him taken care of, no worries.

Thanks,

Nick