bobonit

97 Maxima Build Log

Awesome project. If I might throw in my $.02 on your sub box. The bracing looks really good and the joints in those braces are seamless. My concern is that you have glued the end grain of the dowels to the sides of the box. The end grain never forms a good glue bond because it soaks up the glue, so typically you would want to reinforce those joints. This issue is made even more critical in this application because those huge subs are going to be pushing the sides of your box outwards when they hit, potentially pulling those joints apart. I think you've done the right thing by reinforcing with fiberglass, but you may want to get creative with using some L-brackets and screws or something. At the very least, I'd recommend a few more coats of FG at all dowel intersections.

I'm not pro on bracing at all. I run an infinite baffle setup in my system. But I do a lot of woodworking and I've had a lot of end-grain butt joints fail on me! I'd hate for you to have to pull your setup out and redo all of that fancy bracing because your subs pushed those joints apart.

Again, great looking project. I love the baltic birch. You should stain it and do a gloss finish with some edge-banding where the plywood end grain shows. Maybe a dark gray stain with a high gloss finish?? :)

Edited by Bigpete123

Awesome project. If I might throw in my $.02 on your sub box. The bracing looks really good and the joints in those braces are seamless. My concern is that you have glued the end grain of the dowels to the sides of the box. The end grain never forms a good glue bond because it soaks up the glue, so typically you would want to reinforce those joints. This issue is made even more critical in this application because those huge subs are going to be pushing the sides of your box outwards when they hit, potentially pulling those joints apart. I think you've done the right thing by reinforcing with fiberglass, but you may want to get creative with using some L-brackets and screws or something. At the very least, I'd recommend a few more coats of FG at all dowel intersections.

I'm not pro on bracing at all. I run an infinite baffle setup in my system. But I do a lot of woodworking and I've had a lot of end-grain butt joints fail on me! I'd hate for you to have to pull your setup out and redo all of that fancy bracing because your subs pushed those joints apart.

Again, great looking project. I love the baltic birch. You should stain it and do a gloss finish with some edge-banding where the plywood end grain shows. Maybe a dark gray stain with a high gloss finish?? :)

I'm always in the market for some helpful advice, thank you. I will put more glass where the dowels attach to the walls. Its the same scenario for all of them, the ends are glued to the walls (top, bottom, front, back and sides). I'll chop up some mat and try to mash it all around the joint.

Damn man!

This is looking sick!

I can't wait till you get those pods done!

Just a little input on the sub box bracing with the dowels.

I believe that you could avoid some of the separation by putting a screw through the side of the box into the dowel.

I would pre-drill first, and counter sink the screw.

Just my .02 just throwing ideas out there

Damn man!

This is looking sick!

I can't wait till you get those pods done!

Just a little input on the sub box bracing with the dowels.

I believe that you could avoid some of the separation by putting a screw through the side of the box into the dowel.

I would pre-drill first, and counter sink the screw.

Just my .02 just throwing ideas out there

I thought about doing that as well, but I'd kick myself if I was off on my measurments and missed the mark !!! We will see, it is an option.

And thanks for the compliments !!!

Did some cutting, grinding and sanding on the forms. Then I layed some mat to fill in the holes I ground out, tomorrow I'll lay a final layer of mat for the forms. Hopefully after I do that tomorrow I'll have time to cut speaker rings. After I get the rings mounted in the forms, I'll do a final trim on the form then attempting wrapping :)

dsc01108.jpg

dsc01109.jpg

dsc01110.jpg

dsc01111.jpg

Well, time for the speaker trim rings. I followed Steve's How To on making Trim Rings, man was that helpful. Only thing I wish I did better was leave a wider lip on the outside of the 6.5" rings, but I think they will be ok once they are glassed, and they will be more efficient on space.

I drew up some plans so I knew what cuts to make.

Ghetto drawing FTW !!

dsc01112.jpg

Jasper Jig FTMFW !!

Man I love these things, it feels like I'm cheating or something.

dsc01113.jpg

I did one ring by itself as a test since this is my first time.

dsc01115.jpg

Perfect fit, it actually snaps on to the speaker and stays there.

dsc01114.jpg

Porter Cable Shop Vac Attachment, no dust bunnies up my nose !!! I had my respirator handy, but I didn't need it at all.

dsc01116.jpg

Here it is on the speaker, a Tang Band W6-1721 Midbass/Midrange driver.

dsc01117.jpg

dsc01118.jpg

dsc01119.jpg

The mids, tweets and their new rings.

dsc01121.jpg

The mids and tweets.

dsc01122.jpg

Seas Neo Tweets with their new mounts

dsc01123.jpg

Backs of the tweeter rings

dsc01124.jpg

The aftermath.

dsc01126.jpg

looking good

Thanks !!

Although the fit perfectly, the rings for the 6.5's came out too thin. The tweeter rings are fine, but I'm going to make new rings for the mids tomorrow, put the kick forms in the car and then get the rings aimed and glued in.

Ok, very small update. Got the trim rings for the Mids installed into the kick forms and started glassing them on for support. The passenger kick I need to just aim it a little higher, so I'm pulling that one right now and will glass it on again today. Once I like the aim, I'll attach the tweeter rings to the mids rings and get ready to wrap them.

dsc01131.jpg

Also, ordered 4 Powermaster d925 batteries for the spare tire well. :)

u upgrading the suspension as well?

i know personally,

my ass end is quiet a bit lower now :(

Ok, very small update. Got the trim rings for the Mids installed into the kick forms and started glassing them on for support. The passenger kick I need to just aim it a little higher, so I'm pulling that one right now and will glass it on again today. Once I like the aim, I'll attach the tweeter rings to the mids rings and get ready to wrap them.

dsc01131.jpg

looking good i want to learn how to do kick pods one of these days

u upgrading the suspension as well?

i know personally,

my ass end is quiet a bit lower now :(

Yea, I've thought about it. Maybe even putting the front down a bit to match the back.

dsc01131.jpg

looking good i want to learn how to do kick pods one of these days

check out www.fiberglassforums.com there are great how-to's there. Between this site and that site, I've pretty much learned how to do them.

Well, spent the day aiming the tweeter and attaching it to the midrange ring. Then broke out the Ponte and started wrapping it little by little. I'll do some more on it tomorrow.

dsc01132.jpg

Today I ordered RCA's, speaker wire, power and ground cables from Knukoncepts to wire up my trunk. I also ordered some laminating brushes from Bodico for laying the mat on the kicks.

How do you like wrapping with the ponte? Build looks awesome!

I haven't wrapped with anything else so I can't compare it to fleece or anything, but I like how thin it is. I'll have a better answer tomorrow as I should be finished with it, I'm only like 1/4 done. It took me awhile to get the hang of hot glueing the ponte to the base. But it seems to stretch pretty smooth.

o wow man you are going all the way out on this build! loooks very good and high quality! nice job!!

Got some new toys...

Some D925s for the trunk.

dsc01137.jpg

dsc01138.jpg

After putting them in the tire well, it looks like I can fit 2 more. If I still get voltage drop, I'll add them, if not I'll leave it like this. I just have to make some braces to hold them in place.

dsc01139.jpg

And some more stuff from Knukoncepts... Some 1/0 power, 4awg power and 12awg speaker wire.

dsc01140.jpg

RCA's...

dsc01141.jpg

Some more 12awg speaker wire and 8awg speaker wire.

dsc01142.jpg

Finally made some progress with the kicks today. I had wrapped them but didn't like how they turned out so I broke out the dremel and cut off the resin'd ponte and rewrapped them today and applied resin to both and had time to put a layer of mat on one of them...

dsc01143.jpg

dsc01144.jpg

dsc01147.jpg

Also had a new toy show up today...

dsc01146.jpg

Looks great so far.

You have a very nice set up taking place.

Thank you.

that poor trunk!

i know its going to be scraping the ground lol

lookin good man!

o wow those kicker panels look like they are coming along nicely!! very nice work!

the only issue i see you having is with your speaker wire! lol! maybe i was doing it wrong but i had a whore of time working with that wire!! and if you need some more let me know i got a bunch left over! lol!!

Made some more progress on the kicks...

Got 4 layers of 1.5oz mat on them now

DSC01148.jpg

DSC01149.jpg

DSC01150.jpg

Spread on some Everglass. I'll sand them tomorrow after they cure overnight.

DSC01151.jpg

DSC01152.jpg

Also got some new goodies from McMaster Carr.

3/8" x 1 1/2" Copper Bars

DSC01154.jpg

5/16" Brass Threaded Rod, Brass nuts and washers for the speaker wires on the sub box.

DSC01155.jpg

Don't let it cure overnight, it is MUCH easier to sand before it gets rock hard.