Doctor Q

Box For 15" Fi Q

Okay so i went to Freemans Audio today to give the guy my idea of what i wanted to do with the box. I arrived with the intention of sealing off the trunk and having the sub faced towards the cabin....

the guy said that it would be better to have it in the trunk facing the trunk becuase it would resonant off the trunk, if it fired into the cabin, i would be the first thing it hit...

For "my way" wouldnt there be less trunk rattle and it be louder to there ear? versus "his way" would have more trunk rattle and some of the sound would be sealed in the trunk???

I dont have to long before i have to tell them my final plan... tommorow they will most likely start working on it and they are waiting for my final approval.

thanx guys,

alex

tell them to wait. you don't have to start anything you don't want to start yet if you're paying for it. I have been wondering this for my own trunk set-up. someone will chime in soon.

"I" would have them seal it off.

n00bstatic's XL 18" sealed off from trunk

so your saying have it so that when i open my trunk there is a wall with the sub in the middle and then if i go inside my car and flip my seats down it will be the back side of the box... and maybe but the amp there or i could also put it in the trunk

Sorry for being possibly the most indecisive person haha but i am going to go with a ported enclosure...

i know these are the farthest from comparable subs but i heard 2 12" xplods ported and want to be atleast that loud and a single 15" Q sealed i was wondering how close would that be? 2 12"s get louder then 1 15" if they are all ported so 2 12"s ported will for sure get louder than 1 15" sealed, but then again the 15 is a Fi Q and the 12"s are xplods...

also the 12"s are in a Nissan Xterra and the 15" is in a Volvo S70.....

Any suggestions?? After hearing his setup i want to be atleast that loud and i have heard from people that have ported Q's that they have still retained most of the SQ but the gain in SPL was superb.

If i get it sealed, its 2.6 cu. ft. but idk how to setup the box yet, and

If i get it ported, its 3.5 cu. ft. w/ 42 sq. in of port and tuned @ 32hz.

I need to know ASAP because my equipment is at the shop and they are waiting on me to give them the "ok" but i dont want to regret anything.

I'd face it forward and seal it off behind the front baffle. That way you don't have to pressurize the air in the trunk. and I'd personally do the ported box, if that 3.5 cubes is after port and sub displacement.

Well the problem I had with my enclosure was that the bass was getting sealed off with the subs facing backwards... the trunk was taking a beating but hardly any sound was reaching the cabin. I solved this by turning the box around to face the cabin, and I've been planning to seal it off somehow but I haven't had the time to try that...

Oh, and for the record... put the Q in a ported box you will be very happy... I am running 2 15"s and the sheer output is amazing, and they sound great on music... let em breathe! I should have some vids up soon.

If I were you I would upgrade your speaker wire. I would find some 8 gage Oxygen free speaker wire I bet you would go up a DB and clean up the signel

Well the problem I had with my enclosure was that the bass was getting sealed off with the subs facing backwards... the trunk was taking a beating but hardly any sound was reaching the cabin. I solved this by turning the box around to face the cabin, and I've been planning to seal it off somehow but I haven't had the time to try that...

Oh, and for the record... put the Q in a ported box you will be very happy... I am running 2 15"s and the sheer output is amazing, and they sound great on music... let em breathe! I should have some vids up soon.

so you are saying you had the sub facing the trunk and now u turned it around and it is facing the backseats? so im thinkin maybe seal the trunk off then have the sub right up next to the backseats facing into the cabin and have the port slot right where the skipass thing is??

sound good?

any better ideas?

so you are saying you had the sub facing the trunk and now u turned it around and it is facing the backseats? so im thinkin maybe seal the trunk off then have the sub right up next to the backseats facing into the cabin and have the port slot right where the skipass thing is??

Right. I ported my rear deck as well though and it made a HUGE difference. I was going to put pics in the first post but I forgot:

This is how big the box is...

DCP_0001-2.jpg

The port I cut in the rear deck

DCP_0037-1.jpg

This is how I originally had it.. you can clearly see the bass doesn't have much room to escape = bad output

DCP_0021.jpg

DCP_0024-1.jpg

matts lac sounds great. deep low and quick.. a great musical sub....

i have ported back... subs back.. it seems to work for me.. but i never tryed anything else...

our trunks are nothing alike tho...

i have ported back... subs back.. it seems to work for me.. but i never tryed anything else...

Very true Jon's trunk is a little bigger and he has sort of a shelf near the back of it and mine just kinda chokes down from the wheel wells! Every car is different... sorry if I missed that but what kind of car is this going in Dr. Q?

Very true Jon's trunk is a little bigger and he has sort of a shelf near the back of it and mine just kinda chokes down from the wheel wells! Every car is different... sorry if I missed that but what kind of car is this going in Dr. Q?

1999 volvo s70...

so i have like a ski-ass hole.. can i just but the port vent next to that instead of cut that thing in the reardeck? or should i put the sub next to the ski-ass hole? the guy making the box said the port and sub have to be on the same plane? idk why but i guess that means id put the port thru the ski-pass and have the sub so that if i fold the seats down its chillin right there lookin into the cabin :)

If I were you I would upgrade your speaker wire. I would find some 8 gage Oxygen free speaker wire I bet you would go up a DB and clean up the signel

Please ignore everything that this guy recommends, the more posts I see from him the more misled I know he is.

Wire clean up signal, LOL.

I will add though, since you are asking for louder perhaps a Q isn't for you.

port the box to specifications tuned to around 33@hz or what ever you like but face towards the trunk. have you evr thought of the subs one one side facing the trunk and the port facing the seats. haven't seen that yet.

i actually just got of the phone with the installer... hes building a box made to max. width and max height and then see what the depth is that way i will save more spac.... it will be around 4 cu. ft. (not sure if thats before or after displacement) and then its tuned at 32hz. i will try to post pics up when i get it back later tommorrw.

im so excited. :)

or do u think my 1 15" sealed Q could get louder than those 2 12" Xplods ported?

my LG sound theather would sound louder than 3 12'' sony xplod.. :Doh:

or do u think my 1 15" sealed Q could get louder than those 2 12" Xplods ported?

hahahahaha okay. well i think that my ported 15 Q will rape his xplods then.. one more day and i should have it all. they didnt work monday because of the snow and the guy working on my box is off tommmorw so if he finishes tonight he can leave it and i can pick it up tomrw... if not then friday afternoon ill have it

woooot wooot!

hahahahaha okay. well i think that my ported 15 Q will rape his xplods then.. one more day and i should have it all. they didnt work monday because of the snow and the guy working on my box is off tommmorw so if he finishes tonight he can leave it and i can pick it up tomrw... if not then friday afternoon ill have it

woooot wooot!

yeah well.. you wont be dissapointed.. those are really a beasts.. even tho they arent made for SPL, they could give a hard time to a RE SX.. i got a q15d2 and its really making me a hard time breathing, besides, im really proud cuz im like.. one of the few ppl in my country that has an fi sub, it took me some really hard work to get one, ill be posting my instalation real soon.

well hope you enjoy your new sub

woooot wooot!

yeah well.. you wont be dissapointed.. those are really a beasts.. even tho they arent made for SPL, they could give a hard time to a RE SX.. i got a q15d2 and its really making me a hard time breathing, besides, im really proud cuz im like.. one of the few ppl in my country that has an fi sub, it took me some really hard work to get one, ill be posting my instalation real soon.

well hope you enjoy your new sub

yeah i cant wait... what kind of car/truck do u have yours in?

its a grand prix se 2000, it has such a big o trunk..

a 4cuft enclosure and it has still plenty of space to keep my weekend beer in there..

ooh man.. but when i get a flat tire.. daaaaamn..

out in the middle of the street 110 degrees and lifting a 100lbs box..

thats something i wouldnt recommend..

i just took a ride with my bro and went to my house for my spare tire..

wait till the night and then do the work..