chad y

help me choose

I am trying to put together a 1st system for my little brother. He just turned 16 and has a 95 ford ranger reg. cab. This is his first system and I wanna make it pound for him. For front stage he has 6.5 components powered off a 50 x 2 amp, pioneer head unit. He listens to most everything but mainly rap and heavy metal.

I have a eclipse Xa 1000d 300 x 1 @ 4 ohm and 480 @ 2 ohms.

SO here is my problem.

1. limited budget 150.00 for sub

2. limited space reg cab ford ranger

3. I would like max output while sounding decent

I appreciate any and all suggestions

Chad

How about a DD 1508 ported. That 300-480 will just be tickling it, but ported it could sound real nice. Good for for the kick drums, and good for output with bass. It would fit well behind the seat.

I thought about that. I was also looking at 2 E8's( a little over budget) or a 10" IA 187.

just not sure.

Ya the 187 would be nice too. I brought the 1508, only cause to can add so much more power to it later on if you wanted too, LOL.

how do you like the 1508? still a option.....lol

I do have a 1200 watt I could let him use.

Chad

In the right ported box with 1200, that 1508 would be awsome!!!!! I had 4 of them with the C/F cone running off a AQ2200. That was no where near enough power for them, but they sounded great. I had them in 1.2. Cubes ported to 36Hz. Right now you can find them for about $120-$150 shipped used.

I just picked up a 10" audioque sdc2.5 the other day and its loud as hell in my reg cab sonoma. Sounds decent also.

Edited by Bobaflob

I just picked up a 10" audioque sdc2.5 the other day and its loud as hell in my reg cab sonoma. Sounds decent also.

I had thought about this one as well, looks solid and would match up well with the xa1000

Chad

I like the E8 idea myself!!

I like the E8 idea myself!!

I would jump on this in a heartbeat but 2 are $178.90 shipped to me, and 150.00 is at the high end of his budget.

Chad

Does he have bucket seats in the Ranger? If so, build a custom center console between them, stretching from under the dash, contouring down to a height the same as the armrests. The top of it would most likely be about 7-9" wide, but you could flare out the bottom pretty easily.

A buddy of mine competed about 12 years ago with a '93 Ranger Splash, went to the Worlds for SQ. But, he still hit something like 145dB with ONE 12" sub firing down at the floor, pushed by a 1000watt amp. Think he had just under 3 cu ft for the net enclosure volume. I'm thinking a DCON 12 would suit your/his needs quite nicely, and the existing amp (480watts @ 2ohms) would be perfect.

He has a bench seat. however I like the Dcon but out of the budget $181.89 shipped.

Chad

He has a bench seat. however I like the Dcon but out of the budget $181.89 shipped.

Chad

Find some bucket seats that match the color of the interior, can be from pretty much any make or model, and fab up some brackets to put buckets in.

I had an S-10 Blazer, I put some Grand Am bucket seats in, modified the brackets to fit. They sat about 2-3" lower than the stock seats, and went back further too.

Whatever sub you get, building an enclosure to spec is key. A $50 sub can sound very good in a well-built enclosure, while a $500 sub can sound like ass in an enclosure off-spec.

quote]

Find some bucket seats that match the color of the interior, can be from pretty much any make or model, and fab up some brackets to put buckets in.

I had an S-10 Blazer, I put some Grand Am bucket seats in, modified the brackets to fit. They sat about 2-3" lower than the stock seats, and went back further too.

I understand what your saying. But the main goal here is to keep to his budget.

quote]

Whatever sub you get, building an enclosure to spec is key. A $50 sub can sound very good in a well-built enclosure, while a $500 sub can sound like ass in an enclosure off-spec.

This is far from my first build. I do however app. your suggestions.

Chad

I thought about that. I was also looking at 2 E8's( a little over budget) or a 10" IA 187.

just not sure.

go for the IA 187 ... its D4 .. and a great match with the amp :drink40:

Just to update. I am going with a Mach 5 IXL 12. Going to run it off of a Phoenix gold tantrum 1200.1 I will start a new build log when I start the install.

Thanks for all of your opinions and help.

One of the main reasons for picking the IXL was price, A friend (Darin) of mine was upgrading and sold it to me for a unbeatable price.

Chad

This is going to be sealed right? I've done quite a few ported boxes in my ranger if you need some dimensions, just let me know.