Sign in to follow this  
viper_04649

Ported Box help

Right now i am rocking out the mid-sized sealed. But, i was looking to upgrade to a ported.

can someone give me some help with a design,

max dementions: W-35" x H-19" x D-25"

it would be mdf. i built my last one and it came out great. I can do most stuff with the material (perfer it to be simple, so i don't have to spend weeks after school on it)

I want to keep a lot of sq, but bump up the spl, i know that i will loose some of the tightness, but this would just be a second box anyway, you know, just to have, and for a project. if you needed to know, i have a Viper 1200d.

-Travis

Anyone know where to get some good black box capetting?

Hey, I did something like what your trying to do. I did it in about 6 hours built and installed, and it sounds great. build the box 32W x 13.5T x 23D, with a 3" by 31.5" slot port. I didnt know about winsID then, i just kinda made it as big as i could and put a huge port in it. IT sounds Great!!!

STeve

Hey, I did something like what your trying to do. I did it in about 6 hours built and installed, and it sounds great. build the box 32W x 13.5T x 23D, with a 3" by 31.5" slot port. I didnt know about winsID then, i just kinda made it as big as i could and put a huge port in it. IT sounds Great!!!

Can you(or who ever) send me like a pic that shows the design,i guess sorta like the "floor layout"

not sure if it matters, but i have a saab 9000, which is a hatchback and there is about a foot (x the width of the trunk) of opening from the trunk to the cabin (which i can close if need be.

-Travis

RIght now with those dims, you're looking at a gross volume of 7.97 cubes. Right about what you want for a pair of 15s vented. Only problem here is, when you add the vent and the driver displacement, you'll lose about 1.4-1.5 cubes. That'll bring the NET volume down to about 6.5. It may work well for you, but I have had a 15 in 3 cubes vented and was not pleased with the results.

Nick recommends 4 cubes each when venting and I would agree with him. I think your space is better suited for a pair of 12s. However, you could just go ahead and build it and see if you like it. Worst case, you're only out $30 for supplies and a couple hours construction time.

I think your space is better suited for a pair of 12s.  .

so anyone want to trade my 15" for 2 12"s, I will pay the differnce. my 15" has only been set up for like 4-6 months, and i take super care of it.

I think your space is better suited for a pair of 12s.

The 15 vented will WANG. Two 12s vented will WNAG slightly more, but also take up more space. If you're concerned with space, stick with the single 15 vented.

I agree with ryan, try it in a new box and see how you like it

:+1:

You could max out the space and give the 15" room to be efficient.... You'll be happy!

-Nick

Great, but like can someone email me some plans, i have never built a ported box bofore. i mean all i would need would be a quick drawing with dimensions.

Travis

If you have a local pepboys or autozone they sell some fairly nice black carpet. I used it on 2 enclosures i made

Great, but like can someone email me some plans, i have never built a ported box bofore. i mean all i would need would be a quick drawing with dimensions.

Travis

I'll post everything you need here later tonight.

You want to use a slot vent or conventional round vent?

Nothing. Slot ports are easier to integrate in some applications, but displace more.

Slotted is easier to implement. My box's port is almost 45" long, good luck fitting a piece of PVC that long in there.

Slotted is easier to implement. My box's port is almost 45" long, good luck fitting a piece of PVC that long in there.

90 degree bends and it can be done. ;) But seriously, by the time it's all said and done you basically spend the same amount of time making PVC ports as you do making slot ports and I prefer slotted also. You can make the port as big or small as you desire. All it takes is a little planning so you cut the port runners when you cut the rest of the box out.

tirefryr, Slotted is prob the best with me.

Okay, I'll have some stuff up for ya tomorrow.

come on guys, i am just a poor high school kid that wants some bass from a new box :lol:

PM me with max dimensions, link to sub specs, and desired sound and I'll try and get something ready for ya tonight. (I know you have already stated this stuff, but I'd prefer the PM ;) )