tripslipfall

Can I use 12 gauge wire instead of 4 gauge?

4guage would help better than a cap for voltage drops.

Yeah but I've already figured out that a bunch of 12 gauge will equal 4 gauge, if not more, so if I still have voltage problems after that, I'll just get a cheap cap, but I'm not sure what size cap to get.

I'm thinking around 2 farad, the manual on Rockford's site says 1.5 farad, but I wanna get a cheap off brand one, like Boss or something.

Buy the 4guage and reuse it later?

Yeah but I've already figured out that a bunch of 12 gauge will equal 4 gauge, if not more, so if I still have voltage problems after that, I'll just get a cheap cap, but I'm not sure what size cap to get.

I'm thinking around 2 farad, the manual on Rockford's site says 1.5 farad, but I wanna get a cheap off brand one, like Boss or something.

NO

Ok ok, jeez... :faintthud:

Well there is your problem right there!! lol

try borrowing some 4awg from some one, and THEN testing voltage at the amp. Will be higher!!! i promise

Buy the 4guage and reuse it later?

You're missing the fact that I don't have money for 4 gauge.

Then again, I don't have money for a capacitor either. :Doh:

Well there is your problem right there!! lol

try borrowing some 4awg from some one, and THEN testing voltage at the amp. Will be higher!!! i promise

I don't know anyone, or I would.

I've already decided to go ahead and take the risk of just using 4-6 runs of 12 gauge since it equals about the same, and like someone said previously, electricity is stupid, it's not gonna know the difference between a crap load of 12 gauge and a single 4 gauge.

how much 4awg would you need? i have some short runs (>5') that i could probably give you to save you the risk of burning down your vehicle lol....

and dont buy the capacitor. also, DONT max out the gains... its not a matter of "whether the subs can handle it". It may cause damage to the sub either way. where do you live? i may be able to send you some 4awg

NO

lol sorry it's so blunt but the lasagna finished cooking.

Really, you'd be wasting your money to go this route. In the money it takes to buy a cheap cap, you could get all the used 4g you need.

how much 4awg would you need? i have some short runs (>5') that i could probably give you to save you the risk of burning down your vehicle lol....

and dont buy the capacitor. also, DONT max out the gains... its not a matter of "whether the subs can handle it". It may cause damage to the sub either way. where do you live? i may be able to send you some 4awg

I live in Portland Oregon, and I'm not sure how much I would need, enough to get from the battery to the 2nd row seat in a 93 suburban.

NO

lol sorry it's so blunt but the lasagna finished cooking.

Really, you'd be wasting your money to go this route. In the money it takes to buy a cheap cap, you could get all the used 4g you need.

Yeah, but would it really be worth it to buy 4 gauge when the alternator probably can't handle it?

It's only a 75 amp alternator, the amplifier draws around 100 amps on music according to the manual.

What's the amp?

Yeah, but would it really be worth it to buy 4 gauge when the alternator probably can't handle it?

It's only a 75 amp alternator, the amplifier draws around 100 amps on music according to the manual.

So a cap and 12 gauge wire is going to make the alternator put out more power?

So a cap and 12 gauge wire is going to make the alternator put out more power?

No, but a capacitor is supposed to give you some of that extra power that you need and help with voltage problems.

And enough 12 gauge should equal 4 gauge or more, we've already figured that one out, I'm just trying to plan ahead in case that doesn't help with some of the voltage problems.

NO a capacitor does NOT do that. GOD

People say it stores power, but the SECOND you drain it, it is just another strain on the alt.

NO a capacitor does NOT do that. GOD

People say it stores power, but the SECOND you drain it, it is just another strain on the alt.

Ok, then I guess I'm stuck running a bunch of 12 gauge for now, unless 01 S 10 actually has some 4 gauge he can send me.:bigclap:

This thread = FAIL.

:worthless:

This thread = FAIL.

No this thread = learning.

trip, I know you want to get this up and running asap but let me tell you that it's worth the wait financially speaking. I rushed into my first stereo 2 years ago and 6 months later I became disappointed with it. Even now I'm not finished buying and installing all the stuff I want but I know I'll be much happier because I took my time on this one... well actually slow income made me take more time.

Do it right.

Your telling me your that broke to where your putting it in your moms whip and not yours to where you cant even save up for maybe a while to buy you some 4 gauge..

On ebay they have cheap chit going like 20$ shipped..

I mean walk around and ask for cans or something.

Its 20$ or so..

This thread = FAIL.

Yep.

Oh well, time for some trial and error, maybe fire and explosion too. :clap:

This thread = FAIL.

Yep.

Shoot vids plz!!

then post on Youtube and become famous. :captain:

Your telling me your that broke to where your putting it in your moms whip and not yours to where you cant even save up for maybe a while to buy you some 4 gauge..

On ebay they have cheap chit going like 20$ shipped..

I mean walk around and ask for cans or something.

Its 20$ or so..

Doesn't matter that much, I'm only 16 (17 in May), not in school, no job yet, just went to 21 places the other day looking for one, I'm a very quick learner though, I may seem like a total noob in this thread, but believe me, I'm not, I just have a hard time explaining things the way I see them in my mind.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

And, as a reply to blue fury, when I do get a job, I will be getting my own car and doing everything right, and as clean as possible.

This thread = FAIL.

Yep.

Shoot vids plz!!

then post on Youtube and become famous. :captain:

IF I live.

Try a welding supply store, at a local place I get 1/0 gauge for $1.88/ foot.

I work at a shop and I refuse to pay my dealer cost of $4/ foot of 1/0.

Try a welding supply store, at a local place I get 1/0 gauge for $1.88/ foot.

I work at a shop and I refuse to pay my dealer cost of $4/ foot of 1/0.

I'll see if I can find a place.

Thanks.