Sign in to follow this  
Miles

So.... WTF happened to my DP?!

Well, I bought a DP 12 while SSA was having the Black and Blue sale in december. I've only had it installed and playing for a month and a half though. Well, the other day I noticed that there was a crease all the way around the sub on the inside portion of the surround. I've only had about 1100 rms running to it (it's a 1500 rms amp, but with voltage drop I know it's less). It's not even close to hitting the back of my passenger seat, and I've never put it into overexcursion. I emailed Nick today, so hopefully he'll get back to me either monday or tuesday. I'm a little pissed, because I haven't done anything wrong with this sub, and it's practically brand new, so I don't understand why it did this. And also, the big "scratch" that's in the last picture was there when I first opened the box, but I didn't think about it too much at the time since it wasn't all the way through.... Onto the pictures....

P3210889.jpg

P3210890.jpg

P3210891.jpg

P3210896.jpg

P3210897.jpg

P3210898.jpg

Man that doesn't look good. Was it affecting how it sounded at all?

Very much so. It just sounds really nasty, and sounds like there is a rattle in my box, even though it's jus the surround in that one spot popping on and off the cone. Once I found out about it, I haven't turned it up at all. HOwever, I noticed a little bit before I discovered it that it wasn't near as loud as it had been, and that seemed a little odd to me.. It's just a little frustrating that a new sub would do this..

there was a cut in the surround when you got it?

Yes. As you notice in the last picture there's a really nasty looking cut that's about 2 inches long. I doesn't go all the way through so I wasn't that worried about it at the time when I first took the sub out of the shipping box.

u should have contacted nick then and not after u beat the hell out of it

looks like over excursion or it's been hitting the back of the seat...

if it had a cut in it to start you should have called right away...

u should have contacted nick then and not after u beat the hell out of it

You must not be able to read very good. If I didn't already say it, i'll say it again just for you. I noticed a change in sound 2 days ago. I emailed him today. The scratch was not a big deal to me when I first got the sub, and it still hasn't went through the surround right there so I don't care about that part. The surround just resently split all the way around the sub, and actually split all the way through in that one other spot 2 days ago. So after I noticed a change in sound and discovered that it was toar, I have not played it since. Do you really think I would spend this kind of money on high end/excellent quality equipment and beat the hell out of it after I realize there is a major problem? The scratch that was in the sub when I got it has had no effect on the sub, and is still not toar all the way through, so therefore, I'm not at all concerned about the scratch... Just the actual hole in the surround that is effecting the sub.

Edited by Miles

looks like over excursion or it's been hitting the back of the seat...

if it had a cut in it to start you should have called right away...

I've already stated that it isn't anywhere close to hitting the back of the seat, and it's never been into overexcursion.. And read my responce above for your other statement.

im not flaming u or calling u a noob by any means...but if u wanted it to last u should have had the patience and taken the time to ship the sub back for a new one..

what is done is done .... but u should have noticed Nick about the cut or even a scratch when u got it ... its always good to check the stuff u get (somtimes the delivery service fails and other things can go wrong) <--- iam sure that the folks @ IA check their products when they send them out

almost forgot ...

most of the time its the PEOPLE that FAIL @ installing and using equipment

Edited by Tyan

im not flaming u or calling u a noob by any means...but if u wanted it to last u should have had the patience and taken the time to ship the sub back for a new one..

Well, I called it a "scratch" with parenthesis for a reason. It actually just looked like a hard rub mark on the surround. It doesn't go very deep at all, it just looks really nasty. Sending it back would be like getting a sub with a pinhead sized dent in the dustcap. Yes, it's irritating that it's there, but it's not hurting anything, and plays just fine with it, so why wait another month or two to ship it back and get another one, with a slight possibility of the same problem?

Dude, first advice I can give you is to calm down. Stuff happens. Whether its IA's fault, your fault, shipping company's fault, or just a defective part, it will get taken care of. Just wait for Nick to reply and you guys will figure it out. Im sorry this happened but no reason to be pissed off.

i had some JL audios do that to me.

i thought it was dry rot

Looks like UPS might have did some work on it for you and that might have caused the issue. Once a hole or area on the surround is damaged that is a good starting point for it to continue tearing. I wish you would have gave me time in the email to reply before you posted it on the net! :)

No worries IA for the win! :) I will reply to you soon and we will get you a recone on the way!

Thanks,

Nick

No worries IA for the win! :)

:djparty:

That kind of a tear gets there from being played and moving. So whether it started with the "rubbed" part or whatever when you first opened the box, or if it happened after you installed it, that's the cause. So I suggest not being defensive when asked questions about how it started and if the scratch it had when you got it caused it. It appears that the "big scratch" is at the end of the crease, right? If so, that's where it started from and it just promulgated out from there, around the sub.

I'm not getting pissed about anything, I'm just stating my point. By the looks of the hole in the surround, it did not start and the "rubbed" place, but if that's what you think that's fine. I 100% agree with KU40. If any of you guys could be around me you would know I am very careful with everything I own, and I wouldn't be stupid enough to put my sub over the limits of it's suspension. It looks to me like it was just a bad surround, and there was nothing I could have done about it.

And thanks Nick for responding to this. I can get a little impatient sometimes and can't wait for an answer. Haha. I've never done a recone before, so I hope I can get some help from on here. It kinda sucks since there really isn't anything wrong with the sub, yet I'm going to be ripping everything out of it... :( But it'll probably be easier to recone the whole thing than try to replace just the surround...

Well since your being rude, i guess i can be rude too. When you get a sub with noticable marks, i would contact the seller. Its like buying a car wth a small engine knock, you might not think its something major. But a month or so later, your engine locks up, why, because you assumed nothing was wrong.