JazzScreamer

New Sub System for the Home

I currently have an 8" ORB Audio sub in my home theater. My living room is about 20' X 12' and opens up to the kitchen that is about a 1/3 of the size of the living room. I currently have 2 10" AA arsenals that are sitting in my garage. I want a bigger sub stage. Something that will extend into the 20hz range. Can I use these subs for Home use? Or should I sell the pair and buy something geared toward my home theater. I really like the idea of an IB system, but I'm open to a box system in the living room. FYI, I have some building skills, so I can build an enclosure for any box design. I'm just a virgin when it comes to the home theater side of things. All suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

-Bob

Acoustic Elegance has been getting a lot of love lately, but build an LLT box for going deep and loud, although it won't be small, that is a big area to fill.

Otherwise, IB and a couple Fi IB3 18"s.

Bob, I vote to try with the drivers you have currently. They have plenty of bottom end and excursion to be used for home audio. Have you looked into Sonotubes? They are fairly cheap from what I have seen and have some excellent results if done right. I hope to go that route after I buy a new reciever/amplifer.

I will look into that. I just sold my PE amp a few weeks ago. I'll need to get a new one if I go this route. Thanks for the advice.

You reference theater, is that the primary purpose or will these be used for music as well?

I will look into that. I just sold my PE amp a few weeks ago. I'll need to get a new one if I go this route. Thanks for the advice.

I'll never buy another PE Bash amp again. I'm sticking to O Audio for my plate amps from now on.

You reference theater, is that the primary purpose or will these be used for music as well?

This will be mostly for theater purpose (80%). I'm gonna work on my home studio this summer since I will have a bit more time off with most of my students on summer break.

I say go with the arsenals. They should work great. My favorite place for home theater related things is Home Theater Shack. There is a lot of GREAT knowledge on that board. I suggest you take a look around. There are many, many sonotube builds on that site, so it could give you another idea.

I say go with the arsenals. They should work great. My favorite place for home theater related things is Home Theater Shack. There is a lot of GREAT knowledge on that board. I suggest you take a look around. There are many, many sonotube builds on that site, so it could give you another idea.

We were going to team up with them, but choose not to.

We were going to team up with them, but choose not to.

Dang...that would have been an unstoppable forum of awesome and knowledge.

I say port the Arsenals to 16 hz.

I have 2 MJ18 8ohm if interesed. They would go great on a 1000w dayton amp or a behringer. They do IB or you can put them in big ported boxes tuned low. That would be plenty for a room that size. PM me if interested.

I have 4.5- 5cu ft. to work with for each box not including bracing and displacement of the driver for each sub. Does anyone have plans or can help me get a nice low tune on these (maybe in the low twenties).

Edited by JazzScreamer

Im really new to all this home audio. How does a port tuned to 20hz sound? I really wanna try now and hear that now

That would do well. It really is a combination of things. How big are your front speakers?

I have a pair each of Orb audio speakers for my left and right channel. They are great little 3" speakers but lack a bit of mid-bass (below 80hz). I will soon be building the AA Arbiter TM or MTM to install as front L and R as soon as I get my crossover parts build and the cabinet built.

P1020041.jpg

Edited by JazzScreamer

Acoustic Elegance has been getting a lot of love lately, but build an LLT box for going deep and loud, although it won't be small, that is a big area to fill.

Otherwise, IB and a couple Fi IB3 18"s.

I've finished my HT sub project. I had lots of help from Chad K on this setup. This was actually one of the proto-type models for his now discontinued Conquest design (although mine is in three seperate enclosures). Sub platform consists of 3- 10"Arsenals and a custom Bash 1000W amp (6ohm load). Enclosures are 3.5 cuft tuned to 21hz. My mains are AA Arbiter MTM that I also built a few months ago. The three seperate enclosures allow me to really even out the sub response in the room. They have extreme SPL capabilities for HT and are extremely clean sounding. Music is also extremely good with this setup. I am convinced that multiple smaller subs is the way to go.

P8260455.jpg

P8260442.jpg

P8280461.jpg

P8300505.jpg

P8300506.jpg

P8300529-1.jpg

P9010531.jpg

P9010527.jpg

P9010528.jpg

WOW! Those boxes look awesome. Nice work on them. What kinda wood is that?

I've finished my HT sub project. I had lots of help from Chad K on this setup. This was actually one of the proto-type models for his now discontinued Conquest design (although mine is in three seperate enclosures). Sub platform consists of 3- 10"Arsenals and a custom Bash 1000W amp (6ohm load). Enclosures are 3.5 cuft tuned to 21hz. My mains are AA Arbiter MTM that I also built a few months ago. The three seperate enclosures allow me to really even out the sub response in the room. They have extreme SPL capabilities for HT and are extremely clean sounding. Music is also extremely good with this setup. I am convinced that multiple smaller subs is the way to go.

P8260455.jpg

P8260442.jpg

P8280461.jpg

P8300505.jpg

P8300506.jpg

P8300529-1.jpg

P9010531.jpg

P9010527.jpg

P9010528.jpg

I would love to sit in that living room and listen to this setup, good job.