my_first_account

Building a Subwoofer

if you build it sub down and port out one side then you can spin it around to find which way works best for your room

So, with the sub facing down is the best way to go? And, does anyone else have something hopefully good also to say about Dayton subs? I just really want to make sure that it will have what I want...not that I don't trust you, rushnrun cause I do.

Does it matter that the Dayton woofers are not in the sub section? I will also have my current sub (front-firing, side port) in a corner. I think this is where it sounds the best.

Thanks

enough said, now start building. your next question should be on box design. Sounds like you want a do it all setup..as mentioned by some of the other dudes... tune in the region of 30 hz and call it the day.

Lol. And your bottom line in your sig is funny.

Anyways... for my room size (13x13) should I just go for one 12", or two 10's? Just trying to save money and space, if possible.

Edit: Should I go for ported or sealed enclosure? Also, should I get any kind of crossover, even though there is a adjustment for one on my receiver and probably one on the amp?

Edit#2: Would this sub

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.c...tnumber=295-550

be better than two of these ones?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.c...tnumber=295-315

With all of those being powered by the Dayton SA240 240 watt amp?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl....tnumber=300-804

Thanks for all the help. I know I ask a lot of questions, I just want to know what to get.

Edited by my_first_account

you need to have crossover, whether or not it is in the receiver, amp or stand alone unit doesn't matter. i would go ported. have a single 10" ported (tuned to about 27Hz) in my dorm room, which is probably a similar size. it gets plenty loud to overpower my bookshelf speakers. you will probably be fine with a single 12, but two 10's will give you more output and power handling

better depends on what you want. the quatro will sound better and take more power than the other 10's. but 2 of the other 10's will probably get louder. If space isnt an issue, you could do 2 of these 12's for the same price as the quatro 10, which would get louder (assuming that you are going for loud)

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.c...tnumber=295-320

better depends on what you want. the quatro will sound better and take more power than the other 10's. but 2 of the other 10's will probably get louder. If space isnt an issue, you could do 2 of these 12's for the same price as the quatro 10, which would get louder (assuming that you are going for loud)

I was actually just looking at those 12's. But. space isn't really a problem, I can just hopefully split them up, and place one on each side of my bookshelf that has my tv and other things in it. Will those 2 12's be able to handle the lows without bottoming out easily like my Yamaha sub? I would really like these subs to be able to handle the lows like the ones in the song Down 4 THE Krown by Kottonmouth Kings. Song is supposed to be Down 4 T h a Krown (without the spaces in t h a) instead of THE but it wouldn't allow it. Do you think that they could handle it?

And what kind of crossover should I get?

Thanks

What do you mean by the quatro will sound better? As in clearer sound, or something else? Would it sound better than 2 12's? I don't want something that will sound muddled while playing, which I don't think that 2 12's will, but just want to make sure.

Thanks

What do you mean by the quatro will sound better? As in clearer sound, or something else? Would it sound better than 2 12's? I don't want something that will sound muddled while playing, which I don't think that 2 12's will, but just want to make sure.

Thanks

Sorry for the double post, wouldn't let me edit it. I meant 2 10" instead of 2 12".

Thanks

front fire a pair of the cheaper 12's and down-fire a 6" areo port ;) just make a tall box with a small foot print... something like a 16x16x36" box (this isn't something exact just to get an idea of size) The quatro is a little better woofer but sounds like your a bass head... so for the little extra money you'll have a bunch more output by running the 12's and they sound good so don't worry about them.. I wish a vid could show how good my parents' sounds.

My first,

I think you should give us a solid budget for the build, how much do you want to spend total? You will have to factor in wood, and other things too.

HT. What you need to consider is what you want out of this. Would you rather have an AMAZING movie experience, or would you rather have extremely accurate musical reproduction. I would assume since you mention KMKings earlier, that you are looking for an experience rather that to reproduce recordings exactly as they were recorded.

If so the basics are all the same. Large woofer or multiple woofer is what you need. Usualy the large size wins as it's easier to design ported, the cost is lower as it's less drivers, and it's usualy lower Fs and higher sensitivity.

People have given you great advice, the dayton 15" with a decent amp will be pretty awesome. I would tune it into the high teens probably, and then you will get more from movies. I'm not so sure on tuning really low, I never have done it. There are many who have though and it works out great for them.

My first,

I think you should give us a solid budget for the build, how much do you want to spend total? You will have to factor in wood, and other things too.

HT. What you need to consider is what you want out of this. Would you rather have an AMAZING movie experience, or would you rather have extremely accurate musical reproduction. I would assume since you mention KMKings earlier, that you are looking for an experience rather that to reproduce recordings exactly as they were recorded.

If so the basics are all the same. Large woofer or multiple woofer is what you need. Usualy the large size wins as it's easier to design ported, the cost is lower as it's less drivers, and it's usualy lower Fs and higher sensitivity.

People have given you great advice, the dayton 15" with a decent amp will be pretty awesome. I would tune it into the high teens probably, and then you will get more from movies. I'm not so sure on tuning really low, I never have done it. There are many who have though and it works out great for them.

Well, since the 15" is a woofer and not a sub woofer, won't in not be able to hit the lows properly? Or is that just becuase the amp is set wrong? I'm looking to spend $250-$350 or so. But, I might just ask for the O Audio amp for Christmas and just get the Dayton 240w amp whenever I can.

Thanks

Edit: Well, I mostly listen to music, not only KMK, but other stuff also like Hatebreed, Mudvayne, Slipknot, hard rock bands like that. But I would watch more movies once I do get a new sub though. So, KMK would be like movies, instead of musical production, or whatever it would be called?

Here's your cheap Good choices for woofers... all of these are a 4 ohm load (the 12 is dual 8) I'm still a big fan of the 15.. great price.. great performance... the 15 will handle just as much power as the 2-12's.. all this looking is making me wanna build a new HT sub :)

DVC 12 if you want to run a single...

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl....amp;ctab=2#Tabs

the 15 that I'm still a big fan of..

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.c...tnumber=295-470

the 18 if you wanna get crazy...

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.c...tnumber=295-475

****I didn't notice the 12 that the other person posted is actually a component woofer and not a subwoofer... I wouldnt reccomend that woofer for your application.. not sure how it would sound (I haven't tried it so I dunno)

I linked the wrong 15 the 1st time sorry... the last post has the right one..

I linked the wrong 15 the 1st time sorry... the last post has the right one..

Ok, I see. Now it sounds better. Thanks for all the links. Great Help.

with the 15 the amp and box materials you should be right at the 250 range..

with the 15 the amp and box materials you should be right at the 250 range..

I have had a few people recommend the Shiva-x, and the GR Research sub, GR found here:

http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageA...&ProdID=131

Would one of these sound better than 2 12's Dayton, or the 15?

Thanks

looks like an ok woofer, never heard of them.. aweful low sensitivity for a home sub... plus it's 8 ohm... so it'd see less power (on the same amp) than the 4 ohm drivers..

You can't beat the Shiva-x for that price! Never heard of the GR.

You can't beat the Shiva-x for that price! Never heard of the GR.

Man, I wish I had like $200 right now...I would get it. Oh well. Why can't I find any videos if the Shiva-x anywhere?

Thanks

shiva wins that one... it's in a whole different class than the daytons... twice the price too...

shiva wins that one... it's in a whole different class than the daytons... twice the price too...

So, would two Daytons be comparable then? Again, just trying to save money where I can...if possible.

Thanks

based on your questions id go with a single 12 in a sealed box simply because it is the easiest to get right. why a 12'' well seeing that you mention 2 12's somewhere before you can always get another one should you require it but a single 12 can make plenty off boom when corner loaded.

If you can swing the Shiva, do it.

It will blow your mind. Othe wise, pick up the cheeper dayton.

You should look for a ~500w pro audio amp if you pick up the shiva. Check a local guitar shot or something of that nature.

If you get the dayton 15 inch, you could get 2 and similarly pic up a pro amp to power them both.

The shiva is a much better driver. So if you can stretch your budget to pick it up, go for it. You will not be dissapointed. I went with 2 Maelstrom-x woofers from the same place. Really great guy with great service.

I agree that the MJ ios a good choice also, but it's out of stock.

If you can swing the Shiva, do it.

It will blow your mind. Othe wise, pick up the cheeper dayton.

You should look for a ~500w pro audio amp if you pick up the shiva. Check a local guitar shot or something of that nature.

If you get the dayton 15 inch, you could get 2 and similarly pic up a pro amp to power them both.

The shiva is a much better driver. So if you can stretch your budget to pick it up, go for it. You will not be dissapointed. I went with 2 Maelstrom-x woofers from the same place. Really great guy with great service.

I agree that the MJ ios a good choice also, but it's out of stock.

Ok, I will try to get the Shiva. Is this sub almost as good as the Shiva?

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/zencart...;products_id=54

Thanks

Edit: Would the Exodus DPL-15 sound better in my room over the Shiva-x 12"? I know that bigger isn't always better, but I was just wondering.

Thanks

The Shiva will work better for HT. Period. When looking for HT needs, I would never use less than a 15 really. Unless you have a really good handle on what your doing, or plan on buying several subs. What makes you interested in the IXL? Great sub, but now what you want to look for I think.

I wouldn't look at anything else from DIY cable but the Shiva unless you want to up your budget a good deal.