kilcrease92

covering my box

hey i am tryin to get a mirror like finish with paint how can i do that ? what kinda paint do i need ? any suggestions :shrug: im starting with mdf

Edited by kilcrease92

Spend a lot of time sanding. If you can feel a ridge with your hands it is WAY too big.

What material are you starting with? It will involve sealing the base material, sanding, primer, sanding, color, sanding, more color, sanding, color, and probably more sanding. A true mirror finish is something that takes quite a bit of time to accomplish.

I just did this a few months ago.

DSC01279.jpg

DSC01280.jpg

DSCF5734.jpg

The first thing is that there is NO room for error. If you feel ANY type of bump, it will mess it up. It took 10 coats of primer on this before the edges of the MDF were paintable. I had my paint guy use an automotive grade paint and a clearcoat on it. It looks damn good in person, but even with all of the HOURS of sanding and fine tuning there are still a few barely noticeable blemishes.

Does it look good? Absolutely! Amazing!

Would I do it again? Well I would charge a hell of a lot more than just price of supplies this time around...

Now, I've never really done to much with getting a mirror finish myself, just haven't cared too. This is quoted from a member (shinOBIWAN) on diyaudio.com and his method for getting a mirror finish. It will give you a good idea as to what you have to do to accomplish what you are looking for.

Some notes:

You have to use good quality sand paper, otherwise you are going to beat your head against the wall.

Take your time, if you can feel something with your hand, you will notice it in the finish, no way around it.

Don't rush.

Originally posted by ShinOBIWAN

Paint Finishing Technique

I've had a few emails about the finish technique I used on the Percieves so I've decided to try and capture the finishing process again and also add some useful commentary on what I do throughout. The last time I tried this it was on a silver basecoat and you could hardly tell the difference between each step. This time its on a black basecoat and the differences are very apparent.

What I use:

You don't need hundreds of pounds worth of kit and product to get a very nice looking finish. I use a Makita palm sander which cost around

Look's good abxx, is that a 15?

Yeah, 15" MAG. It's so nice...too bad it's my roommates..