What Do You Do And Are Currently Doing?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What Do You Do And Are Currently Doing?

• Wire a small component amp and a subwoofer amp to my single REM wire on the head unit.
    • Use a relay to wire my multiple amplifiers and other 12v accesories.
    • My amplifiers and/or accesories are on a switch.

personally, im going to have this;

viper 1200.1

viper 550.6

crossfire CFX3.24

crossfire CFQ31m

crossfire CFQ31m

all off the same rem wire- im going to inline the rem under the dash, and relay it in the trunk.

I currently have the remote off the HU run behind seat, split into two wires. One to the Orion the other to te Memphis.

I'm the only one who votes relay? Lol

I would, but under this circumstance, no.

I currently have the remote off the HU run behind seat, split into two wires.  One to the Orion the other to te Memphis.

i did.

its ALWAYS good to have a relay, what if you wanted to hook up somthin that needs 12v?

If a relay then which one? And is there any diff between them other than branding?

Get a Bosch, don't mess with anything else. May cost a dollar or two more, but well worth it. Cheap Overseas ones suck!

If the amp should somehow get damaged, they've been known to draw huge amounts of current (Up to 4 amperes) from the remote line, which in turn kills the HU's remote out.

How big the amp is has nothing to do with current draw on the REM line. I heard someone say that.

The REM line should have nothing to do with the output quality of an amp, unless it's so erratic that your amp likes to randomly shut off. I heard someone say that, too.

I'd say you're fine now, but relay it later on. You will be happy you did, should something go wrong.

This thread inspired me to fuse and relay my remote line. Cost over $20 in parts at Radio Shack. =( That's like half of the funds needed for a new box. On top of that it was mid 90s here and almost 110 in my car when I was working on it. I hope it's worth it. =p

I'll also put the SQ myth to rest. Added 6 new terminals, one relay, and 8" of wire with no audible loss of quality.

$20 sounds like too much.....

What it cost me:

SPDT Relay - $4.00

40 ft. 12awg Primary wire - $6.00

TOTAL: $10.00

Thats what you get for shopping at Radio Shack.

I would fuse your REM just to protect my HU...but other than that the HU's will blow before the REM wire carries enough current to melt the caseing...it is probably fused internally anyway.

and the draw and amp had on an REM wire is slim, very slim...the REM's capasity should be able to handle a good number og amps before a relay is needed.