Anyone here ever tried to bypass, defeat, or remove the on-board x-over on an amp(class D specifically). My head unit can take care of this function. It would be nice to have up front control.

You can just run them both. It won't hurt anything. Turn the one on the amp up all the way, then (if it is low pass), it won't really do a whole lot. Unless you want your low pass at 250 Hz O_o

Anyone here ever tried to bypass, defeat, or remove the on-board x-over on an amp(class D specifically). My head unit can take care of this function. It would be nice to have up front control.

U dont have to mod the amp to use the controls up front. On a class D just turn the xover knob toward the high frequencies and then set the headunit xover.

To me it seems like a major pain in the behind and I've worked on some pretty ugly stuff.

To me it seems like a major pain in the behind and I've worked on some pretty ugly stuff.

I figured as much. Why is that manufactures only make products for dummies?

nick19 and sqjeep I see a problem with running two crossovers. I'd be willing to bet that it will effect phase.

Edited by marshallb

nick19 and sqjeep I see a problem with running two crossovers. I'd be willing to bet that it will effect phase.

You could see with an O-scope maybe. I don't know.. I just use the xover on the amp, but I can tell no difference when I turn the one on my headunit on... No affect in TermLab score either... :ughdunno:

I don't have an O-scope yet. I will test it on TL and report back. I am thinking ahead for an SQ build thats why I worry about phase.

I'd be more worried on the phase effect on a front stage amp. And before that I'd be more concerned of the actual install part.

You can't measure the phase difference if you don't have a 2 channel o-scope. You need to see both signals (input and output before the x-over stage) to determine the phase difference.

I wouldn't be worried too much about phase on subwoofers either. Plus, I don't know what amplifier you have, but some have adjustable phase from 0 to 180* (not just a switch between the two). You could use that to even it back out.

Buy an amp without one or that is defeatable, there is always a way but it isn't worth it.

I wouldn't ever recommend stacking crossovers, the phase probably won't "kill you" on a sub but it won't be friendly either.

Personally I'd much rather have amps just be gain blocks, IMO all processing should be done well before it hits the gain stage and preferably in a separate piece of hardware/software.