ambi

FI BTl spider ripped

Hi there i have an 18" BTL the older style one with the tripple magnet and while taking out the whole system so i could design a new box i pulled out the sub from the old box and spotted that the spider on the btl was ripped in about 2-3 places 1 of them being a noticeable rip and the other 2 look like there about to rip and also i found out that where the spider is glued to the cone the spider was coming unglued in a few places. I wanted to know does this mean that i need a re-cone or is it salvageable, pictures are below, the pictures below are of the major rip one

Thanks

DSC_0007.jpg

P180609_14180001.jpg

P180609_14190001.jpg

Edited by ambi

I think your safest bet is a recone, I could be wrong.

RECONE! I had the same thing happen (smaller tears) to my BL that was about a year old. I believe that going below my tuning and over extending my sub was the cause. I noticed significant output loss after I heard it bottom out. Once I removed the sub and saw the tears I put two and two together.

Looks like you either don't have your subsonic filter on or it isn't in the right place.

That only happens if your playing very very low frequencies below tuning of your enclosure.

It needs a recone, and you need to adjust your settings.

Thanks!

i have a t30001bd which powered the btl and the infrasonic filter was set to on so i would of thought that would protect the sub from playing below tuning . the box was tuned to 32hz

what size box and where did you set the subsonic filter at?

the box was dead on 5cft and on the t30001bd theres just a switch on or off on the infrasonic filter and it was switched on and i think thats set on about 27hz i think, thats what it says in the maneul

Thanks

the box was dead on 5cft and on the t30001bd theres just a switch on or off on the infrasonic filter and it was switched on and i think thats set on about 27hz i think, thats what it says in the maneul

Thanks

That's Why, Plus Over Extension.

Thanks

that sub should be able to take that if not then they need to do something about it 5ft is small for a 18"

and this is the 3 btl with a ripped spider I have seen this week maybe they got a batch of bad spiders

5 ft^3 for a 18" btl is on the low end of what is recommended and he also has his subsonic filter on 27hz. I don't think that was the problem.

Edit: Was this sub reconed recently?

Edited by phi

Thanks

that sub should be able to take that if not then they need to do something about it 5ft is small for a 18"

and this is the 3 btl with a ripped spider I have seen this week maybe they got a batch of bad spiders

No it isn't.

We don't have problems with spiders...we have problems with people who do not understand what a subsonic filter is, or what one needs to be. 25-27Hz is too low for a subsonic filter to be useful in a car. You can make an un-bendable iron wedge and somebody in this world will figure out how to bend it.

Sure we could use a very short coil like other people do and put 34 spiders on it and mechanically limit the excursion that way. But the bottom end is going to die...and we're not going to do that.

People need to listen, read, and learn. There is enough coil there for it to yank the suspension and it will pop like a potato chip over time if you play them for prolonged periods below tuning with no subsonic filter. Imagine the spider is like an aluminum tab on a Coke can. You can bend it back and forth within its mechanical limits from now until time ends. Once you start stressing the mechanical limits (stress and strain) and heat begins to build up in the aluminum it fatigues and fails. Exact same scenario with the spiders.

It's not the spiders, it's not the manufacturing process, and it is not the product. It is the loose nuts behind the controls who simply do not understand until something breaks and/or goes wrong. Then they run to us pointing fingers saying it's our problem and our fault, when it isn't. Then they learn the hard way and have to pay for a recone when they could have taken 30 minutes and read what a subsonic filter is and does and why they must use one.

if u ask this question on like 100000 forums your going to get the same answers...usually... reconing is your friend dont glue your going to just fuk it up again.. honestly what i think is that is caused by over excursion

It is clear overexcursion. Plus it's not even impossible to damage a subwoofer above tuning with enough power. There are a few ways to damage it.

RF T series amps have a fixed ssf @27 or 28hz, its either on or off. this is one of the things i dont like about those amps

RF T series amps have a fixed ssf @27 or 28hz, its either on or off. this is one of the things i dont like about those amps

yeah is there anyway i can get around this e.g buying a external crossover ???

yeah is there anyway i can get around this e.g buying a external crossover ???

You can turn it off and then buy an external subsonic filter to get the crossover point where you want it.