Sign in to follow this  
MKader17

2 Way for the Silverado

I blew the tweets on my DLS components and its time for an upgrade. I just got the H701/C701 installed recently so now I have full control of crossovers, slopes, etc... However, I can't go 3 way because of budget constraints and the constraint of me not wanting to do fiberglass work in 100*+ weather.

So what I'm looking for is a killer 2 way setup with a 6.5"+ speaker and a tweet (can do large format). Initial budget is/was $300 but it is flexible.

As far as prior experience I have heard TMax's CA18 and LPG tweet (I think that's it) and love the mid. So I am considering a variation of that woofer. As far as tweets I haven't been impressed by really any since my first set of components when I heard a real tweeter. I'm hoping I can change that for myself. M5 has recommended the OW1's to me but I'm not sure my budget can justify it.

That should be all the information required, so have at it!

Come on guys, where's the love.

Thought I would mention that a 7" woofer will fit easily and the tweet will need good off axis response.

I really like the 7" Vifa MG mids (yellow cone) and Peerless 1" silk tweeters in my HT. But I don't know how you would listen to them before buying. But you may want to check their graphs on partsexpress (not sure if they still sell the vifa though) to see their off-axis response.

May I ask what year your truck is? That would help me in what sizes/placement I could recommend.

2002. It has the big speaker grill, a lot of stuff can fit behind it

Yea, I know all to well just how much room is back there.

ON <<<< the door itself you can fit an 8", on the door panel you can fit up to two 6 1/2 mids behind the factory grill, tweets in there as well and I recommend tweets dead center of the A-pillar. Direction depends on the tweeter itself.

If you have the ext cab, raise that rear seat up 2" if you still need the rear seat, as I do and did, for the added room.

I can tell you what will/wont fit in all 3 types of GM trucks, std cab, ext cab, crew cab. As there's one of each owned by myself and family. I helped put systems in theirs too.

It's Extended cab. I have 2.25" seat lift with a 12" Icon in 2.25 Cuft tuned to 34ish.

I have heard the pillars is a bad place in a Silverado

I'm highly considering ER18RNX midbass with 27TDFC tweeter, which is setup used on the Zaph site. The review says they are very good off-axis

By the way, I'm not sure why anyone would mount speakers to the door panel, much less 2 6.5"s and what does my space under my back seat have anything to do with the question?

Unfortunately these types of questions are always hard to answer as there are hundreds of options and combinations.

But I will say that the SB Acoustics drivers have really had my interest lately. Zaph always has great things to say about them, and Mark K and some of the other objective testers have all had good things to say about them. They aren't the best in any one category, but seem to fair very well over all and on top of that are affordable. They have a ring radiator type tweeter which Zaph rated pretty well. Though Zaph doesn't give off axis plots, being a ring radiator style driver it's off axis response could possibly suffer a bit.

By the way, I'm not sure why anyone would mount speakers to the door panel, much less 2 6.5"s and what does my space under my back seat have anything to do with the question?

Why not? Re-enforce the back of the door panel and you have the extra stiffness for the added speakers and the grill covers them up to look stock still.

As I mentioned, for the added space. Though I left out for the sub/s. I did a 2" lift and have a 3 cf box. Amp rack mounted on the back wall.....that's all.

I have played w/many a locations for tweets and that's the best so far. I've tried above the speaker grill in that triangular section on the top of the door. SUCKED! made custom pods for the mid and tweet in place of the original speaker grill, mid sounded good, but the tweeter SUCKED, no matter what direction it was pointed at. There's to many relfections/obstuctions in our type of truck and being that tweeters are so directional the best place I have found, and many others too, is in the A-pillars.

I don't have the time on some of these forums or the post counts, but I've been in this game for over 16 years.

Edited by smgreen20