Sign in to follow this  
mwerling1212

blown tweeter

well i got a little happy with my volume knob today, and blew my driver side tweeter. i admit it was my fault. but anyway, i cant find any tweets for sale, so i was wondering if i could buy a different set for the mids. They are polk momo 6.5's. any cheap tweeters you could suggest? thanks!

You can get tweeters for cheap in alot of places. Walmart even sells tweeters. Pretty much anywhere that sells car audio equipment sells tweeters. You could probably find a higher quality tweeter on ebay for cheap as well.

You can get tweeters for cheap in alot of places. Walmart even sells tweeters. Pretty much anywhere that sells car audio equipment sells tweeters. You could probably find a higher quality tweeter on ebay for cheap as well.

why would you ever buy at walmart or ebay?

what do u consider cheap

walmart tweeters would probably sound worse than hearing your parents having sex

Edited by Lucky 76

walmart tweeters would probably sound worse than hearing you parents having sex

That right there ^ is sig worthy.

You can't really just buy any tweeter and use them with your passives, at least and expect them to sound decent. If you are too cheap to replace the whole set or convert them to active you will have to find a tweeter that is very close in efficiency and impedance to what you have. Of course those specs aren't listed on comp sets so you'll have to measure them which isn't hard but isn't trivial either.

Of course if you don't care how they sound there are 100's of options.

well i dont want to try active because i dont think i am capable of doing it right. lol. And i do care how it sounds, but i think if i got a set that are "close" to the same as mine, i wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Do you know any that are comparable to mine?

just call polk and get replacement tweeters ... they shouldnt be more that 50 a set for replacement ... also see if the warranty is still valid

just call polk and get replacement tweeters ... they shouldnt be more that 50 a set for replacement ... also see if the warranty is still valid

Yeah I was going to say the same thing. If you just want a new tweeter, call Polk.

he asked for cheap tweeters that was i refered to the cheapest method possible...you get what you pay for if you want cheap you sacrifice quality....if you want quality your gonna pay a little extra whether its 10 dollars more or 30 dollars more...if he wants something that will sound good hook him up with a full set of focal components and i'm sure his ears would be rather pleased

fyi walmart tweeters don't sound like my parents having sex.............................................they sound like nails on a chalk board

he asked for cheap tweeters that was i refered to the cheapest method possible...you get what you pay for if you want cheap you sacrifice quality....if you want quality your gonna pay a little extra whether its 10 dollars more or 30 dollars more...if he wants something that will sound good hook him up with a full set of focal components and i'm sure his ears would be rather pleased

cheap tweeters being key words ... not a $200+ component set

Actually I completely disagree with everything you recommended. Walmart would be a terrible place to buy a cheap tweeter.

Here is a cheap tweeter:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=275-035

And if you prefer metal:

http://madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1767

Both of those tweeters are "cheap" and both are a significant step up from what came on the Polk set. Nearly an order of magnitude better. :) However, I am also sure that the parameters of either of those tweets is not comparable with the Polk and could sound terrible with the Polk crossover. An alternative would be to use a tweeter like this and build your own passive to go with it. A first order slope is easy to make, but you'd still have to do some sort of Lpad most likely (again rather easy to make).

M5 is correct: Good / Inexpensive tweeters are available, it's the proper match that's harder.

Assuming you have one good tweet left you could send me, I can easily do measurements / get specs on the good one / find a match, etc. Pls. PM or e-mail me

for more info., or check my site. (I tried PM'ing you, first, but I guess you don't have that set to work?)

One word of caution: Not many small (3/4" / 1") domes can handle much power with a 1st order crossover, unless the crossover is set rather high in frequency.

well i got a little happy with my volume knob today, and blew my driver side tweeter. i admit it was my fault. but anyway, i cant find any tweets for sale, so i was wondering if i could buy a different set for the mids. They are polk momo 6.5's. any cheap tweeters you could suggest? thanks!

True, but I'd be money that the Polk tweeter is crossed above 4k. Not how I'd do things when I have a choice, but a somewhat logical trade off if you are meeting a price point. A 2nd order isn't really any harder to make, but if you don't measure and guess wrong I'd rather go higher and shallower.

Hi, I replied your PM to me -- if you don't receive it, just contact me by e-mail or through my site (best). :fing34: