i sold my friend my old pioneer ts-w3002d4 subs and a hifonics bxi2006d amp ... i had 4 of these subs wired for 2 ohm in my car (didnt feel like waiting a month for the d2 ohms) and i had them facing up in a sealed box and the excursion was great on them even with roughly 1300 watts at 2 ohm ... we built a ported box tuned to 28hz facing the trunk and now the subs barely move at 1 ohm with 2000 watts powering them ... why is this? i checked the ohm load and it is indeed 1 ohm

Excursion is different in ported boxes than sealed boxes. If you're playing a 30 hz tone, the sub will move a lot in a sealed box but basically not at all in a ported box tuned to 28 hz.

we played a wide range of music and it didnt really change ... also did a 50 hz test tone (only one i had at the moment) didnt really get much more .... the sealed was actually larger (1.6 cu ft) and the ported is 1.4 cu ft. would this make a significant difference?

we played a wide range of music and it didnt really change ... also did a 50 hz test tone (only one i had at the moment) didnt really get much more .... the sealed was actually larger (1.6 cu ft) and the ported is 1.4 cu ft. would this make a significant difference?

Think about it this way ... a subwoofer creates two areas of air mass, One from the front and another from the rear. With that being said a sealed captures the rear air mass and uses that the push the woofer as well as the singal showing more excursion. In a ported the air excapes allowing not a lot of movement. But in a ported u wont see the full excursion unless u are right near the port feq.

Think about it this way ... a subwoofer creates two areas of air mass, One from the front and another from the rear. With that being said a sealed captures the rear air mass and uses that the push the woofer as well as the singal showing more excursion. In a ported the air excapes allowing not a lot of movement. But in a ported u wont see the full excursion unless u are right near the port feq.

that makes perfect sense thanks

But in a ported u wont see the full excursion unless u are right near the port feq.

Less excusion near port freq., more excursion a bit above (around 36-40hz )or below tuning.(20hz)

But in a ported u wont see the full excursion unless u are right near the port feq.

Less excusion near port freq., more excursion a bit above (around 36-40hz )or below tuning.(20hz)

My bad thanks for the correction Krill007 and Lucky 76 you are welcome