Sign in to follow this  
M1K3

Buying new setup next week...a few questions

Hi all. I've been lurking on these forums for a while doing as much research as possible, but I still have a few questions. Let's start with some info...

I currently have two mtx jackhammer jh55 12's in an mtx ported box (about 4.8 cubic feet). They're being pushed by an mtx 600xd...600 watts at 2ohms. So each sub is getting 300 watts. They're in the back of my Toyota FJ Cruiser. It was my first setup that I got about a year ago.

So anyway, I'm looking to upgrade. I'm selling my subs and amp on Monday...luckily getting $400 for them fing05.gif

I'm on a tight budget(18 year old about to go to college haha) but I really want some nice Fi subs to bump in my FJ =D

Originally, I was thinking of getting one 15" BL and putting it in a ported box about 4 cubic feet or so. Size isn't a problem seeing as I have a big trunk area in my FJ. I'd be running it off of a Hifonics BXi-1606D at 1-ohm. I know I should really get a sundown, but I really can't afford it. I can get the Hifonics for $200 so I'm going to have to stick with that amp unless I find an equivalent for the same money.

My other option that I'm thinking is getting two 12" SSDs and putting them in a ported box about 4 cubic feet or so. I'd also be running these off the Hifonics BXi-1606D.

I'm basically asking which you think would be best for the money. I'm looking primarily for SPL. I guess I'm a little afraid that my new setup will end up not being as loud as the MTX 12s. Which will be louder? Will either be louder than the MTX's? I'm open to suggestions.

Also, stock electrical. The new Toyota's have pretty decent alternators by what I've heard, and I really can't afford a new one or the big 3. I have 4-gauge wiring now, but open to upgrading to 0/1 gauge if necessary.

Thanks so much! Sorry for the incredibly long post. But the more info, the better, eh? ^_^

Hi all. I've been lurking on these forums for a while doing as much research as possible, but I still have a few questions. Let's start with some info...

I currently have two mtx jackhammer jh55 12's in an mtx ported box (about 4.8 cubic feet). They're being pushed by an mtx 600xd...600 watts at 2ohms. So each sub is getting 300 watts. They're in the back of my Toyota FJ Cruiser. It was my first setup that I got about a year ago.

So anyway, I'm looking to upgrade. I'm selling my subs and amp on Monday...luckily getting $400 for them fing05.gif

I'm on a tight budget(18 year old about to go to college haha) but I really want some nice Fi subs to bump in my FJ =D

Originally, I was thinking of getting one 15" BL and putting it in a ported box about 4 cubic feet or so. Size isn't a problem seeing as I have a big trunk area in my FJ. I'd be running it off of a Hifonics BXi-1606D at 1-ohm. I know I should really get a sundown, but I really can't afford it. I can get the Hifonics for $200 so I'm going to have to stick with that amp unless I find an equivalent for the same money.

My other option that I'm thinking is getting two 12" SSDs and putting them in a ported box about 4 cubic feet or so. I'd also be running these off the Hifonics BXi-1606D.

I'm basically asking which you think would be best for the money. I'm looking primarily for SPL. I guess I'm a little afraid that my new setup will end up not being as loud as the MTX 12s. Which will be louder? Will either be louder than the MTX's? I'm open to suggestions.

Also, stock electrical. The new Toyota's have pretty decent alternators by what I've heard, and I really can't afford a new one or the big 3. I have 4-gauge wiring now, but open to upgrading to 0/1 gauge if necessary.

Thanks so much! Sorry for the incredibly long post. But the more info, the better, eh? happy.gif

So what is your budget and how set are you on an fi sub??

Thanks so much! Sorry for the incredibly long post. But the more info, the better, eh? ^_^

the big three is only a couple feet of wire and ring terminals.. not that expensive :) and running that kind of power, get some 1/0 wire, for sure.

sqjeep: I'm hoping to spend less than $400 for the sub(s).

Pretty set on Fi, but definitely open to suggestions.

watts09: Could you direct me to a link for the big three? I'm a bit unclear about it.

Would either of the setups I mentioned be louder than the two 12" mtx subs/600-watt amp combo?

sqjeep: I'm hoping to spend less than $400 for the sub(s).

Pretty set on Fi, but definitely open to suggestions.

watts09: Could you direct me to a link for the big three? I'm a bit unclear about it.

Would either of the setups I mentioned be louder than the two 12" mtx subs/600-watt amp combo?

Big Three - http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~73496~PN~1

loud vs. louder questions aren't the best. it all depends on install and a million other factors. but i would say that a bl would be louder, just cuz i love mine. i only have ~1200 going to it, just watch your gain if you do go with that much power. dont be clipping

loud vs. louder questions aren't the best. it all depends on install and a million other factors. but i would say that a bl would be louder, just cuz i love mine. i only have ~1200 going to it, just watch your gain if you do go with that much power. dont be clipping

I helped my bro set up a BL 12 in his truck on a bxi-2006d a while back, it takes it fine at 1 ohm. I'd choose the two 12s just because there's more cone area than 1 15. If the one 15 is cheaper for you though, and money is tight, I'd get the one sub and upgrade later. Just spend the time and money on a good enclosure and wire. My tahoe held the 2006d at 13.5+v with it's factory 130a alt and a good battery, so if yours is similar you should be fine. If you check the electrical section of this site there are numerous posts about the big 3 and how to do it.

If you stick with 2 SSD 12s and give them a good box with more than double the power you should have a nice increase in output. Hope it works out for you.

I'm just saying if all the factors are equal except the sub itself.

Guessing that your vehicle has a 130amp alt and already have the amp you mentioned the bl is your best choice. If you don't have the amp or welling to sell to get a few extra bucks. You could buy some of the package deals that ssa has. Like the icon 12 and a saz1000d for 560. A icon 15 and a saz1000d for 580. Or 2 dcons 12s and sax125.2 for 485.

Edited by sqjeep

Guessing that your vehicle has a 130amp alt and already have the amp you mentioned the bl is your best choice. If you don't have the amp or welling to sell to get a few extra bucks. You could buy some of the package deals that ssa has. Like the icon 12 and a saz1000d for 560. A icon 15 and a saz1000d for 580. Or 2 dcons 12s and sax125.2 for 485.

Thanks for the advice, I was unaware of those deals.

I'm pretty set on an Fi sub I think.

One thing I don't like about my mtx 12s is that they can't get low enough. I listen to some rap, and some metal. They sound pretty good for metal...but they don't get deep enough for rap songs. That's why I'm looking into a 15".

I haven't bought the new amp yet. I'm also looking into the US AMPS XT4000D. I found a really good deal on one of those.

I'm leaning towards the BL 15. It'll save me a little bit of money, plus I like deeper bass. I got sick of the lack of range on my 12s pretty quickly.

What do y'all think of this setup: one 15" Fi BL in a ~4 cubic ft enclosure tuned to ~32hz, running off a US Amps XT4000D at 1ohm (1500-watts). With 1/0 gauge wiring, and maybe the big three?

Think it would out-bump my mtx 12" 600-watt setup?

Your 12's can't hit the deep bass because the box wasn't made for it, not because 12" woofers aren't made for it. 18" all the way down to 8" all play the same bass and just as deep, the only difference is output.

Your 12's can't hit the deep bass because the box wasn't made for it, not because 12" woofers aren't made for it. 18" all the way down to 8" all play the same bass and just as deep, the only difference is output.

Is it because of the port length? It's an Mtx box made for the subs. Roughly 4.8 cubic feet. I don't know the port length, it's a "side-firing" vent.

Is it because of the port length? It's an Mtx box made for the subs. Roughly 4.8 cubic feet. I don't know the port length, it's a "side-firing" vent.

The port length combined with the port area and internal volume of the enclosure determine tuning. The box is probably tuned very high, around 45Hz, closer to where the vehicle peaks so the subs seem much louder, but can't get low as you noticed.

What he is saying is that premaded boxes aren't not that good I almost positive they are always tuned on the high side. Having the mtx's in a custom made box they would sound a lot better.

What he is saying is that premaded boxes aren't not that good I almost positive they are always tuned on the high side. Having the mtx's in a custom made box they would sound a lot better.

Ah gotcha. That's probably why they get much louder at a mid-low frequency than a deep one. Well I'm definitely selling those, made a deal with a friend of mine.

I guess I just need to figure out the pro's and con's between one 15" BL and two 12" SSDs. Any advice there is greatly appreciated!

Ah gotcha. That's probably why they get much louder at a mid-low frequency than a deep one. Well I'm definitely selling those, made a deal with a friend of mine.

I guess I just need to figure out the pro's and con's between one 15" BL and two 12" SSDs. Any advice there is greatly appreciated!

12's. More power handling, head dissipation, cone area, motor force, and only $100 more than the 15" BL.

With my single ssd I have a voltage drop down to 13.8 on my stock jeep alt. So having 2 on a stock alt from my experience would not be good. So the bl would be better in that aspect. Also you would be allowing the bl to get to its full potential. Where the 2 ssds would be underpowered by about 500 watts.

12's. More power handling, head dissipation, cone area, motor force, and only $100 more than the 15" BL.

The SSD is a very good woofer!

Edited by OldSkool_08

$100 is a lot to a college kid without a job haha ;)

But that's probably a smart idea. Thanks a ton for the help.

Think I'll see a big difference over the Mtx 12s? I'd assume I will, seeing as i'll be running twice the power, and I'll have them in a custom box. Plus they're Fi, not Mtx haha.

With my single ssd I have a voltage drop down to 13.8 on my stock jeep alt. So having 2 on a stock alt from my experience would not be good. So the bl would be better in that aspect. Also you would be allowing the bl to get to its full potential. Where the 2 ssds would be underpowered by about 500 watts.

The SSD's and the BL would be evenly powered. There is no such thing as "underpowering" either. But that has NOTHING to do with this. With his size alternator, an aftermarket AGM battery would be beneficial.

$100 is a lot to a college kid without a job haha ;)

But that's probably a smart idea. Thanks a ton for the help.

Think I'll see a big difference over the Mtx 12s? I'd assume I will, seeing as i'll be running twice the power, and I'll have them in a custom box. Plus they're Fi, not Mtx haha.

You will see a night and day difference.

The SSD's and the BL would be evenly powered. There is no such thing as "underpowering" either. But that has NOTHING to do with this. With his size alternator, an aftermarket AGM battery would be beneficial.

Sry I didn't see he was looking a talking about a different amp. .......

Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it!

I'm gonna go with two 12" SSDs. And I'm going to do the big 3 and get 1/0 gauge wiring for the amp.

I found a Hifonics BXi-2006D amp on ebay for $250, with a 3-year warranty. Would that be the best for the money? Or would I be better off with less watts from a better brand? I don't really want to spend more than that on an amp.

I'm gonna go with two 12" SSDs. And I'm going to do the big 3 and get 1/0 gauge wiring for the amp.

I found a Hifonics BXi-2006D amp on ebay for $250, with a 3-year warranty. Would that be the best for the money? Or would I be better off with less watts from a better brand? I don't really want to spend more than that on an amp.

Should be fine, mine worked well for the price.

Should be fine, mine worked well for the price.

Thanks!

Do you(or anybody) think it's worth it to pay $38 more for the BXi-2010D, which is this years model? New, as opposed to a refurbished BXi-2006D.

Sign in to follow this