Chevy350TPI

Best Enclosures

For those with hatchbacks and/or hatchback experience.

Folding rear seats, so large enclosures will work.

What enclosure has worked best for you?

CRX style?

Sub up, back, forward, or angled towards glass?

Port up, back, forwatd, or angled towards glass?

Daily driver. I'm tempted to try something in the Mazda for the uberwoofer. Can be pretty large, so uncommon enclosures can work as well. It'll boil down to having the sub and port firing forward between the seats or any of the above ways.

75% of the time: CRX - sub up (approx 45* off the glass angle), port back firing into the center of the trunk. ~4-8" away from the rear "tailgate".

20% of the time: Sub firing fwd with ports up off of glass.

This should be good :D

6-8 cubes, ported around 32-35hz tuning should give you nice output and still sound alright.

-Nick

I tried firing up with the shiva in my friends teg, i didnt like it.

Foward firing i have never liked.

Right now its sub back ports on the side.

If i flip the opposite side seat down it gets a bit louder

chitty thing is that maybe one person has tried a large enclosure with this sub. That and BBP isn't any help to me at all right now.

I might just bite the bullet and go sub up with a large port firing back.

steve, from the installs I have worked on or heard, for out put and SPL, do what nick said (CRX Style), but if you want a little more bottom end you need to let the waves have a little longer to travel, so I think if you want more bottom end but less output/SPL fire reward along with the port,

I just think with a low end monster such as the uber you could drop bottom arse with a rear fire enclosure, I mean a small hatch is just like a mini version of my explorer or my Merkur and these had very similar properties

Thanks for the link^.

If I did something like that, I'd likely go with a longer enclosure and huge port as I only have the one driver.

Or a basic rectangle taking up the entire back seat area.

Or sub up port back.

Ridiculous.

For SPL, I always got the best results using sub up, port up or CRX-style ...

For daily driving, I hate having the sub firing up because you can't put anything over the box ... I usually go sub forward, port forward because most people don't use enough damping material, so rattles are very apparent. I assume you've damped yours very well, so I'd try sub and port backwards ...

ok,ill try to jump into this topic without knowing what car it is,im assuming if its Mazda its probably like a protege 5 or some thing to its nature,i played with quite a few hatch boxes when i was Builing the set up in the Focus,i found for Killer low end and decent SPL #s we threw the sub up along with port at a 33 degree angle,that was a 15 degree tilt off of the rear window angle,reflecting off the rear window slowed the wave down enough to give us crazy lows,but build up enough pressure to flex the upper front window just shy of 2 inches.

im not saying that this is the best box for you,just anouther option,it took alot of time getting the degrees just perfect,but after it was all said and done,People at the last show where amazed at what a single driver is capable of

Thanks for the info - I'll take all of that into consideration.

The car is a Mazda 323.