Sign in to follow this  
imhungnurnot

Using WinISD, what are the differences between the alignments?

What are the differences between the alignments QB3 Quasi-butterworth, BB4/SBB4 (Super-)boom box, C4/SC4 (Sub-)Chebyshev, EBS3 extended bass shelf -3 dB, and EBS6 extended bass shelf -6dB when using WinISD?

I researched these and shouldn't the super boom alignment make a peak on the response curve? When I changed between alignments it seemed none of them modeled an enclosure for SPL. What to do if i am interested in SPL design?

if u are interested in ANY design for car audio, do NOT use this program.

It cannot give you no where near accurate information. Trust me.... i made a whole topic about it earlier a week or so ago because it was giving out completely false information.

if u are interested in ANY design for car audio, do NOT use this program.

It cannot give you no where near accurate information. Trust me.... i made a whole topic about it earlier a week or so ago because it was giving out completely false information.

That's because you were trying to take the SPL graphs and make them work in your vehicle. The program was never designed for that.

Don't worry about the presets. You can pick any of them and then just change the box size, tuning, etc. when you actually open the project and it will become a "custom" box. They're kinda like the "powerful," "vocal," "flat," etc. EQ presets on a Pioneer head unit, if you've ever seen those. It'll pick out an alignment for you, but 99% of the time you'll want to go in and change the EQ settings yourself individually to get the best sound. So just pick one and then change the box size and tune to what you want, and it will change the graphs accordingly and forget what you picked in the first place.

sorta, i was trying to use it so i could figure out what i was tuned to.... you can find a port's peak note in low volume since the car's peak note won't interfere with this finding at low volume... however WinISD was still highly inaccurate in this finding.

What it is is it can't model every sub out there properly.

These DC subs i have and my Audioque's i used to run, winisd said they must be in at least 8 cubes net before the low end would come alive.... Of course that's highly false for a 15.

The only thing the program can calculate is port length.

Because all other graphs rely on each other for consistent information... if one graph is wrong, all is wrong.

sorta, i was trying to use it so i could figure out what i was tuned to.... you can find a port's peak note in low volume since the car's peak note won't interfere with this finding at low volume... however WinISD was still highly inaccurate in this finding.

These DC subs i have and my Audioque's i used to run, winisd said they must be in at least 8 cubes net before the low end would come alive.... Of course that's highly false for a 15.

Because all other graphs rely on each other for consistent information... if one graph is wrong, all is wrong.

So I will be fine using the program to determine port length based off of the volume of the box and the tuning i enter into the program?

yes, just make sure you choose the right end corretion-

For custom flares and slot ports, that's trial and error

yes, just make sure you choose the right end corretion-

For custom flares and slot ports, that's trial and error

So if i flare one end, and choose one flanged end in WinISD. It deducts length off of the port length.. would i still have to deduct half of the height of the port from the port length when using one side of the box as one side of the port?

Edited by Im Hung N ur Not

That post is laughable. Just because you do not understand the program doesn't mean it is giving you the wrong information. It does work and work for every woofer. The program was NEVER meant for you to just hit the "optimal" button and use that as a box. If you can't think and don't know what you are doing it will lead you down the wrong path (as will all modeling programs that do not take into account the specific environment). Just because you used it wrong doesn't mean it doesn't work.