slim2fattycake

What do you think of a 18" Nightshade for the hometheater?

Right now I have an MJ18-M in 11 cubes net tuned to 20hz with about 650 watts. I was wondering if I would get more output with an 18" Nightshade at the low end in the same enclosure? I listen to music about 15% and watch movies and play games 85%. I have a behringer EP1500 watt amp. Is it worth switching or not? I can get a trade for the nightshade is why I am asking. WinSD shows about the same spl.

I'd do it, but i know nothing about home theater. In my head, more Xmax, and more power means louder, in the correct encolsure however. Then T/S parameters and room acoustics factor into it.

Edited by DeepSubBoy

for edited purposes, screw winisd when it comes to "what it shows"

Because of the fact that i have proven to myself that it can't graph all speakers right, how do u know which ones it does graph right? if any?

Keep the Mach 5 in there.

There's nothing about that driver designed for HT.

It's the equivalent of running a Top Fuel Dragster in a Formula 1 race.

Yes, but with more power handling and more excursion, wouldn't the NS be able to output more than the MJ anyways? Would it be different with a different enclosure? I would be willing to do a new box if it will significantly outperform the MJ under 25hz.

Power handling and excursion mean squat. Really...

The NightShade is made for SPL. You'd need a huge enclosure to try and reach 25Hz with it and you'd probably hit it's mechanical limits before doing so. It has an Fs of 40+Hz for Christ's sake.

Home audio and Home Theater are nothing like car audio. Throwing more power at it, or adding more throw does not equal more output. There are too many varaibles within the home to contend with.

If you're not satisfied with the MJ the way it is now, try a different alignment.

There's nothing about that driver designed for HT.

It's the equivalent of running a Top Fuel Dragster in a Formula 1 race.

Agreed. To me, the Fs and VAS of the Nightshade rule it out fairly easily. It works fine in a car because you have cabin gain down low, but you won't have that in a home theater. I don't think it'll sound good in a box tuned to 20 hz.

Exactly what do you want to gain? Sub-20 hz output? Does that amp have a subsonic filter on it, and if so, are you using it?

25hz and lower. Like I said, I watch movies and play video more with this setup then listen to music.

Yes, I have an Ed eQ.2 processor which I have the subsonic filter at 17hz.

I was really ponder about this to see if its worth trading for the NS. Does the Vas need to be higher on the NS? I already looked at the Fs and yes, the MJ's Fs is a lot lower.

Edited by phi

The whole driver needs to be redesigned to work properly in this application. IT does what is was designed for very well, and this is not HT duty.

I'd say lengthen the port to get it to 15 hz and lower the subsonic. Could even try sealed. I'm not sure how that driver reacts that low.

Well would it be worth it to switch from the Mj-18M to the NS? I wouldn't want to be stuck with another driver that I cannot use for anything else if it cannot be used for the home theater. I am leaning with tirefryr.

I'd keep the MJ if you truly want a HT box.

for edited purposes, screw winisd when it comes to "what it shows"

Because of the fact that i have proven to myself that it can't graph all speakers right, how do u know which ones it does graph right? if any?

Obviously you need a lesson in how to use WinISD. The only thing you've proven to us by your comment is that you really don't understand how drivers work and more obviously how to use WinISD.

I am keeping the MJ-18M.

///M5 can you tell me how it is that we need to use WinSD? I am confused as to why I get almost about the same spl output with the NS and MJ-18M in the same box even though I changed the input power to 1500 watts.

Please don't put a Nightshade in your house...The suspension probably wouldn't handle 20 Hz. anyways.