Lucky 76

Chris' Wall Build in the Aviator vids p.35

Hahahah believe it. You guys already gave me sponsorship on my 4 12" icons but I already took that out. Let's just say I was inspired.

Mark, I am confused at where a couple of my pages ran off to. I am missing page 3 on this topic and my cancelation topic in subwoofer/speakers. Where did they run off to?

Shawn. This is straight from Aaron on tuning.

"Hey Christopher,

I feel, to make the most out of their smooth response, and huge displacement, for a really clean bottom end I would suggest turning 29/30 hz. But if you want a little more pronounced bottom end, tune to 33/34 hz.

Thanks,

Aaron

SSA Inc."

I like the lows a real lot but I also want it to sound proportionate. Which should I go with? 29/30 hZ?

I think you will have so much "lows" with your setup that you shall be amazed !!!

Whatever tuning frequencies you choose!!

You're speaking of 4 Xcons 18's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Doh.gif

I would love to hear a setup like that.

ok, i'm gonna start drawin out the design.

You say you bought 9 sheets of 0.75" thick MDF?

Don't be surprised if that's just the half of it!

I never try to get people to spend unnecessary money but at the tuning level you will be running, very low, the need to double or triple wall some sides of the box is going to be mandatory.

It is of experienced knowledge that using multiple sheets does not necessarily just strengthen the heck out of a wall like you may think, but what it will help greatly is the prevention of resonation on the wall(s) itself.

You do not want to be blastin it and the box resonating and flexing like crazy. There will be more to it than just wood, it will just be a while until i get to the next bracing step.

we got a problem man, the baffle size isn't large enough for such a largely required port...

i have just got done designing the largest squared and expanded squared port and i do not approve of such design as the port area is lacking...

I have also designed the baffle for use for 4 or 6" aeroports and they too do not reach their recommended port area either.

The expanded squared port just does make it but is a complicated port and do not suggest you try and make it.

You may NOT be able to do a wall. I am suggesting it may not be a good idea to try.

In that instance, a largely built box would accommodate. I will be talking to a good friend of mine who knows a little bit about suvs and see what he recommends and get back with you.

Why can we not build a t port or a combo or a regular port and aero port? What is the lowest tuning frequency you can tune the box to? We need to build a wall lol! Its a must!

i dont know really why it is so mandatory but it's HIGHLY possible to get louder without a wall then to use a wall.... if you did not know that!

The only reason to go with a wall is to maximize cone area, in my opinion, so u can have plenty of room for equipment(batts and amps)

In your case... you have plenty of room for both, but the baffle for a wall says otherwise.

A port could still be made, 306 sqin worth, but that's only 11sqin per cube.

I'm not sayin this is horrible, it would work and probably without port noise due to the low power(yea, i'm serious) but to maximize your install, the port will be restricting pressure greatly.

A box vs a wall-

Box will have a loading area to use.. MASSIVE db gains over a wall.

Box can be adjusted physically to achieve possibly even higher gains.

Box is never permanent install and can be removed relatively easy.

Wall has no loading area and only works better as the volume in front of it gets smaller and smaller. (for your vehicle, you would have tons of volume to pressurize).

Wall cannot be moved once installed so once it's secured, better hope it's the best design ever... u get what i'm sayin?

Wall is permanent in terms of not easy capability of removing quickly.

It is very common for non walls to be louder than walls... trust me, for your vehicle and what i'm seeing, a non wall should be better.

If you insist otherwise, i will continue with the wall but you will not do too good in competition like you should with the equipment you have, that's a guarantee. Music would be good enough

There is no possibly way to meet the proper port area? We cannot make a t port or have the port on the top bottom and through the middle?

Also what is the proper amount of port we should be using for this box?

i have a design that can make the port completely take up the entire middle section of the baffle and then diamond shape the middle in between all 4 subs to gain roughly an additional 50 sqin equaling the BARE MINIMUM of 12.5sqin of port per cube.

If that's what u want... then ok but it wil. not be easy to make. If you can properly angle the wood to make it work then i'll go ahead but the port area is small for comp use.

And i'll warn you again, the port WILL be hard to make... the port will be right up against all 4 subs to accomplish this port area.

Also what is the proper amount of port we should be using for this box?

For competition use - roughly 500sqin minimum to 750sqin maximum

For daily use - 336sqin minimum to 448sqin maximum

Port area without diamond - 306sqin

Port area with diamond - ~360sqin

Ouch! Well that obviously is not going to be cutting it. What if I were to go 8 of the 12-15" Icons? Would the port area needed be smaller? If not what can we do to make just a regular box? What will it look like? The reason I liked the wall idea was because it sealed everything off and would have made everything look nicer.

hmm, i was under the impression you already had or purchased the equipment?

If not, then give me a moment, :)

Having total control of the design including equipment... just gets better, :)

Give me a few days so i can do rough draft designs before i find the right cone area for a wall.

Ya as long as they are SSA products and can be doable with 4 sundown sax1500s then we are golden. The 18s would have just been delish to look at because they are gargantous =) Whatever you feel will do me best. Thanks!!!!

OK man, i got some designs!

And this will ensure a port area of up to 500sqin!!!

This will be MASSIVE for comp use, MASSIVE! Easily shrinkable for daily music listening at lower notes!

Here is selections-

3 18s = 763.4 sqin

4 15s = 706.9 sqin

6 12s = 678.6 sqin

9 10s = 706.6 sqin

Those are surface area comparisons between subs.

3 18s is the ideal choice for best potential in the lanes.

personally... if u know how to set gains for both music (safe gain setting which is proper way) and for comp use, CLip the hell out of it without failure, then i'd suggest 3 2000ds at the minimum.

If money was a problem, 3 AQ3500ds would be fine. Yes that's excessive power and their is such things as burps and quick show offs.

I do not suggest prolonged usage of such power to Xcons for more than a few seconds so it's up to you on the power choice.

However, 3 18s would be nice.

Because 3 18s requires less room, the wall would not be as deep as you may think leaving plenty of room in the back.

I guess well have to go with 4 15s =( I already bought the 4 sundown 1500s so That will have to do =( Sounds terrible considering I wanted the 4 18s. There is no possible way to make the port length longer by extending the box to the back more?

you know, if u could have squeezed and extra 6 inches of width out of the vehicle that u could run 4 18s!

If you gotta take your door panels off in the back or something.. u could do it then, just 6 inches of width...

You told me 50"... get 56" and then u can run 4 18s.

port length is not the problem, it's port area.

for all previous options, maximum port area is 496sqin.

for 4 18s, if u squeeze another 6" of width out of that vehicle, it would be 496 sqin.

I am almost positive I can squeeze 3 on each side. This is just the front correct? What about near the window though?

Would this be louder than if I were to have 4 15s? If so how much or how less

it would need to be 56" external width the entire depth until you reach the "hump" in the floor.

If you can't, then the depth can be as short as 14" but port would be placed straight down the middle which slightly hurts for competition.