maddmatt02

one, two, or three subs for 12-1500 watts

ok, I am going to be getting some equipment for christmas, as well as some money I bet to spend on it myself. I figured I should start my research to see what I should ask for.

Im looking at getting a sundown sae1200D, audioque AQ1200D or maybe saving some money and getting an autotek or hifonics 15/1600 watt amp. looking at others, but whatever I get, I should at least end up with at least 1200 true watts.

my main question is how many subs to look at before I really do my research to pick one.

I dont want to spend any more than about 300 bucks on the sub/subs. Im looking at 3 10's or 12's sealed, 2 12's or 15's ported, or one badass 12 or 15 ported.

so like 3 - IA 187 10's sealed vs 1 - 12 or 15 flatlyne or death row.

3 AQ SDC2.5 10's sealed (really pushing price) vs 1 HDC315

a single Mach5Audio IXL-15.2.2 ported

2- eD e3.12's ported vs a single 13Av.2 ported (Im sure noone would recommend eD, never had a sub but loved my amps)

a single RL-p 12 or 15 ported

2 - 12" DCON's ported vs 1 - icon 15" ported

3 - RE SRX 10's sealed vs 1 - SX/SEX/SXX 12/15

2- IDQ12's vs 1 IDMAX (if I can get one)

1 - Orion HCCA 12

2 - Fi SSD 12's vs a single BL 15 or Q 15.

of course, cheaper is better for me and I saw some 15's around 2-225 that would be even better than a 300+ sub, but thats the road ill go down if I decide to go with a single sub.

alright, I know some are more for SQ, some for SPL, and not all will give me my optimal 1 ohm load. I just want to know what is the better route to go, more cone area or less cone area with alot more excursion?

I will be able to devote probably 4-5 ft^3 of airspace for the box, so after sub and port I might only end up with 3-3.5, maybe not enough to satisfy some of those drivers, but Ill measure and get a more accurate number tomorrow.

and I basically ONLY listen to rap/hip hop, sometimes I might drop in some old foghat or zepplin or something, but not very often. my main concern is SPL, not SQ, but I dont want it to sound like crap when loud.

but Ive had audiobahn AW1200x's that were in huge high tuned boxes that sounded good enough to me, and the type r's I had once was more SQ than Id ever need to have.

Don't buy the Hifonics, anything from eD, or AQ and get a pair of 12's.

Your list doesn't make so much sense, for instance you'd HATE the IDQ's.

I know I wouldnt want everything on the list, but I was just comparing multiple lower end subs vs a single upper end. the fact that Id hate the IDQ's is something I hope Id figure out with research after I decide which route to research.

I wish subs prices didnt go up from a few years ago, I got my 12" type r's for 115 shipped new and my audiobahn high excursions for 75 shipped new, and cant find those prices anywhere. because a nine.2X to a pair of ported type R's was damn loud. lots of flexing.

Keep in mind, with an amplifier like the new SAE-1200D, it is easily capable of 1500 watts, so the choices with a single 750 - 1000watt rms drivers are going to need conservative use of the gain. I would love it if you picked the Dcon's, but that is just too much power if you are not careful. So the 187's or SSD's, orBL idea's are front runners for me based off gathered you want from your 1st post. Chances are the single BL will be the best choice to go with.

The Audioque, FI, Dcon And RE Would All Be A Great Choice.

Keep in mind, with an amplifier like the new SAE-1200D, it is easily capable of 1500 watts, so the choices with a single 750 - 1000watt rms drivers are going to need conservative use of the gain. I would love it if you picked the Dcon's, but that is just too much power if you are not careful. So the 187's or SSD's, orBL idea's are front runners for me based off gathered you want from your 1st post. Chances are the single BL will be the best choice to go with.

x2, from what was read in your first post a single 15" FI BL with BP Power and 1000-1500 rms will do you justice; I would of recommended 2 FI SSD 12"s but you said your not an SQ guy and want to get loud. just my .02

single 12" bl. its the best choice for you i think, but im a little biased...

its alittle over the 300$ (IIRC) you want to spend but it worth it trust me.

ok, Ive decided to go with a single 12, if I get an amp with the 1200+ watts, heres the contenders. going from cheapest to most expensive. I have checked and can get all in a D2 configuration. the asterisk and number is just the way there ranked right now, nut not much real reason, just price, looks, descriptions, and reading some stuff online.

Mach5Audio IXL 12.2.2 (like this idea as its only 200) (whats a good box size for this one?) *2

Audioque HDC312 (not sure why but its the one Im going for right now, 250) *1

Fi BL 12 *3

SSA ICON 12 (Fi as well as this are 275) *4

RE SXX12 (300) *5 (just got a low end RE driver for the wifes car, and like to try different brands)

I looked at stereo integrity but dont know prices, and only one driver on the page.

DC sound labs, again no prices and not sure which one to go with, lvl 4? at least the power handling is right

ascendant audio isnt out but I dont know any pricing.

I also gave myself a few options in the lower price/power bracket just in case. not sure what amp Id go with, but the subs are the RE SEX12, IA lethal injection 12, and Fi SSD 12, (all 200 or less)

I eliminated the 15 because I have the width and depth to get a fair amount of volume but just dont really have the height to get a 15 in there, unless its up-firing which of course costs me a couple inches in height and now I have to have it eat even more of the trunk.

also, a few years ago, I had set my mind on trying out a soundsplinter next, and looking at the RLP 12, its just within the price range, looks good, lots of xmax, but wont handle the power of the big amp. when it reaches full excursion on 6-700 watts, will it be comparable to a sub with similar excursion but much more power handling?

Making a decision based on power handling will not yield you the loudest setup. Personally I'd axe the AQ and RE off your list and go with one of the others. The last three will be more box dependent than anything.

so out of the mach5, ssa, and Fi, which would do best in the smallest box? or did you mean last 3 as in the SSD/lethal injection/SEX.

and Im all for less power with same output, cheaper amp, less electrical problems, and possibly cheaper sub, but probably not. so if I built an optimum box, and had around 750 watts, would the RLP be a good choice or no?

and why do you not like RE or AQ, seems many others do ( as well as eD, but ive already counted them out anyways since the Av.2 is 350)

I measured again, and I can easily get 4.6 ft^3 before sub/port displavement. I could get more but just have to find out about a port exiting on a sloped front (can you do it?, is the port length calculated to the average? [34" at bottom, 30" at top= 32" pot length?) I could also have alot more height if I slope the top and again just have to find out about ports and I can come out farther but id like some trunk. even with the height I cant go 15 though because I might make it front firing so I can drop whatever in the trunk and only worry about it hitting the box and not the sub. and the height by the pass thru cant take a 15. I read though that the BL takes a box 1.5-2.5, so I dont need to worry about more space anyways.

in a 2.0 ft^3 box tuned to 33, what sub would still play the lowest? and sound the best taking in over 1k watts?

all i have ot say is that i love my 12" BL, it really opened my eyes to what "loud" is. i have mine in a 2.5 cu ft port box tuned to 34 hz with 39 sq inches of port area. and it plays the lows very nice, and it also yeilds some good db numbers. (144.6)

By last three I meant the non-RE/AQ. The RLp isn't an output fiend so regardless of power I don't think it is right for you. A BTL will be louder than anything on your list if that is truly your goal.

if Im going to spend that much, IF, would the BTL be better than the XCON?

I know you said no to it already, but I was watching youtube videos and saw some BL's and some HDC3's, watched quite a few of both, but more of the BL videos had a clip or right by the sub, the one audioque vid that did show it, it sounded like it had a lot of mechanical noise (was MOVING though, so might have been pushing it too far) but the ones that didnt show right next to it were loud and flexed the vehicles a ton and sounded fine, but wasnt right by the sub.

was this kids camera just shitty? do they just not sound good when loud and thats why you dont recommend them?

Im leaning towards the BL right now, I guess 100 bucks isnt too bad for the BTL, but when im adding it to a 300 dollar sub budget already it starts to sound like alot... also, can I get away with a BTL w/o all the options if Im only giving it around 12-1400 watts (sounds weird to say that... ONLY)

is a AQ/SAE 1200D enough power for a BTL or would it be a shame to not give it 2k+ watts?

Edited by maddmatt02

what kind of vehical is this going into? if its in the trunk, dont worry about the mechanical noise, cause oyu wont hear it. and usually its the camera's fault for the mechanical noises. but my BL does botttom out on 1800 watts (on certain notes), but 1500 it handle with no problems at all, just gotta be carefull.

im not sure about the BTL question..... i would try to save up a little more and get the 2200 if your going ot get the btl.

click my sig to see my BL vids my newest ones have a really good camera used.

going into a pos 93 accord sedan for now. if I ever sell my camry Ill probably buy something a bit nicer. whatever its final resting place is, will most likely be a hatchback. integra or civic, or a yaris hatch if my car can get in on the cash 4 clunkers deal.

i would put 3 dcon 10" wired to 1.34 ohms on the sae 1200 and make the biggest ported box you can. or if you want trunk space do sealed.

By last three I meant the non-RE/AQ. The RLp isn't an output fiend so regardless of power I don't think it is right for you. A BTL will be louder than anything on your list if that is truly your goal.

just incase u missed this, and to clear up misconceptions, the btl would be louder (assuming equal install, etc). im not sure if anyone pointed this out, (and please correct me if im wrong) but the btl, due to having the strongest motor force, would be a more effective use of power. (anyone who says your not giving it enough power is full of shit, u dont need x amount of watts for the sub to make noise)

i think this was the point m5 was trying to make but if im wrong correct me or delete this.

i would put 3 dcon 10" wired to 1.34 ohms on the sae 1200 and make the biggest ported box you can. or if you want trunk space do sealed.

respectably, why would you do that? 3 10's have hardly any more cone area then a 2 12's and the cost wouldn't justify any gain in output, if it was even audible...

edit: the load at the amp would also be at 1ohm vs 1.33

the only thing about 3 10's would be that they can take more power then the same 12 inch version

but with the same budget you can get a different model 12 that can handle the power....

Edited by lithium

if Im going to spend that much, IF, would the BTL be better than the XCON?

I know you said no to it already, but I was watching youtube videos and saw some BL's and some HDC3's, watched quite a few of both, but more of the BL videos had a clip or right by the sub, the one audioque vid that did show it, it sounded like it had a lot of mechanical noise (was MOVING though, so might have been pushing it too far) but the ones that didnt show right next to it were loud and flexed the vehicles a ton and sounded fine, but wasnt right by the sub.

was this kids camera just shitty? do they just not sound good when loud and thats why you dont recommend them?

Im leaning towards the BL right now, I guess 100 bucks isnt too bad for the BTL, but when im adding it to a 300 dollar sub budget already it starts to sound like alot... also, can I get away with a BTL w/o all the options if Im only giving it around 12-1400 watts (sounds weird to say that... ONLY)

is a AQ/SAE 1200D enough power for a BTL or would it be a shame to not give it 2k+ watts?

If output is your #1 goal, the BTL will be it. As for power, the 1500 or so the SAE-1200D does, will be plenty for the BTL.

I looked at stereo integrity but dont know prices, and only one driver on the page.

DC sound labs, again no prices and not sure which one to go with, lvl 4? at least the power handling is right

ascendant audio isnt out but I dont know any pricing.

None of the newer SI lines would suit you at all. But if you could find a 15" Mag v.3, that would be something to consider IMO.

what would a BTL do off of 200 watts?

I got my cd player coming, and was going to get a cheap 2 channel amp. I would use that to power my fronts for a while, get the sub, and wire the coils in series for 4 ohms, and run it off the amp bridged for only about 200 watts, and then when I get the big amp put the 2 channel back on the fronts. because if I buy the BTL it might delay the amp purchase a little while, and would rather have it pounding a little instead of nothing while waiting for my amp.

as for amps, how are the MB quarts discus series? theres a 1500 watt mono amp that I can get for just under 200 bucks. also, is the SAE1200D being completely replaced by the v2 anytime soon? I know the preorder ends in november, but any chance the first series will sell out long before that? Id like to get in on one for 260 right now, but dont have the spare cash yet. Im leaving the state to work for a while, so I wont really have bills to pay because I wont have rent to pay, and will only be paying the utilities back home, so a good chance I can get some of my equipment when I get back in october

Edited by maddmatt02

what would a BTL do off of 200 watts?

as for amps, how are the MB quarts discus series? theres a 1500 watt mono amp that I can get for just under 200 bucks.

If you only had 10w and compared all the subs that you are choosing between and the BTL, the BTL will be the loudest.

The MB Discuss is another Maxxsonics amp and there is a reason it is under 200 bones. For resale and longevity I personally wouldn't do it.

alright, got some wiring and RCA's coming to install my small 2 channel under the passenger seat, Im just watching used 2 channels on ebay because I dont wanna spend a bunch on a new one for the comps.

hopefully Ill be buying my sub before I fly home so its here when I get back.

Ill at least have the deck, bridged 2 ch., wiring, and sub so when I get back I can install a system into a car thats worth less than the stereo... :WTFBubble:

how serious is the sundowns problems regarding vibration in the v1's? I havent read of failures, but thats one of the claims about the v2.

alright, got some wiring and RCA's coming to install my small 2 channel under the passenger seat, Im just watching used 2 channels on ebay because I dont wanna spend a bunch on a new one for the comps.

hopefully Ill be buying my sub before I fly home so its here when I get back.

Ill at least have the deck, bridged 2 ch., wiring, and sub so when I get back I can install a system into a car thats worth less than the stereo... :WTFBubble:

how serious is the sundowns problems regarding vibration in the v1's? I havent read of failures, but thats one of the claims about the v2.

I dont know how serious they are, email Jacob if interested in them and Im sure he will give you ideas on where to put them or how to install them were there seeing the least amount of vibrations (I use padded feet for my subwoofer amps).

so far, aside from one install, Ive always had the amp right on the box, never had a problem, but also never had a box thats gonna wanna bust like this one should.

I was planning on making a carpeted peice of mdf to fit the seat back and mount my sub amp there.

also, was checking the for sale section and had questions about 2 products.

a pair of sundown SA12's I can get for 320 shipped, and a fusion 2000.1 for 210 shipped that ive never heard of before.

either one something I should jump on while I can get em for these prices?