jcarter1885

Sub combination for Sundown SAZ-2000D

Right now I currently have a Saturn Ion stock everything, my front stage is getting worked on just waiting on some tweeters to add and it will be complete so no need to worry about that. I will be getting a 200A alternator, 2-XS Power D3100's/Kinetick HC2400/Shuriken SK-BT120 for batteries (the alternator will be wired with 4/0 as with primary batter, the primary battery to secondary battery hook-up wil be 2/0 gauge, and the rest is 1/0 for system).

I have 3-12" Kicker CVX's in a 5.79ft.^3 @ 25.94 hz and I currently trying to sell one individually or all three together but that process is still being worked out. I luv the lows that is why my box is tuned so low but the next one wont be. I listen to rap, old school, r&b and most of the time chopped and screwed music. My priority when it comes to a subs is for them to dish out lows and then output. Hopefully if I sell one 12"CVX then I can keep two an make a box for two upcoming twelves and throw those 2-CVX's in their for the time being.

I was thinking about 1-15" (XCON) or 2-12" (ICONS, Q's or whatever else anyone will mention) in 4-4.50ft^3 @ 29-31 Hz, so any input on subwoofers and port tuning frequency would be greaty appreciated.

I will also more than likely set my amps gain to 1500 - 1750 Rms and there is no budget considering I will be buying these over time (my build will hopefully be completed by next spring and summer at the latest).

Thanks Jay

are you going to compete at all?

if so i'd go with the two 12's

if not i'd go with the one 15

you'll have to make a big box either way.. i just see the two 12's equalling 24"s of cone versus the lesser 15"s of cone.

you'll have to make a big box either way.. i just see the two 12's equalling 24"s of cone versus the lesser 15"s of cone.

I cant say I will never compete since I havent but SPL wont be a big factor in this install but showing up to a competition and seeing what numbers I get would be nice. I dont think I want to compete in the car I have now, I want to buy something else to compete in later on in life( next year or two).

haha orrrrr keep it and make the first walled off saturn (if it would be) lol but nah jk.

but hmm since you say spl isn't a biggie... i guess the one 15 would be easier..

easier to make box (only one hole), easier to design the box, easier to identify and solve problems, and easier to wire up etc etc

idk the prices but i'm guessing the one 15 would be cheaper all in all including shipping (weight)? and now that i think of weight.. the one 15 could weigh less than two twelves.. but it could be different with the woofers you decide to choose

Just giving you somethings to think about. ;)

haha orrrrr keep it and make the first walled off saturn (if it would be) lol but nah jk.

but hmm since you say spl isn't a biggie... i guess the one 15 would be easier..

easier to make box (only one hole), easier to design the box, easier to identify and solve problems, and easier to wire up etc etc

idk the prices but i'm guessing the one 15 would be cheaper all in all including shipping (weight)? and now that i think of weight.. the one 15 could weigh less than two twelves.. but it could be different with the woofers you decide to choose

Just giving you somethings to think about. ;)

Oh Im keeping the Saturn its paid for, hell yeah baby!!!!!!!!! Im not worried about weight right now or wiring or what would be easier cause I have three subs now and it that doesnt make a diffence to me. Im just looking for a good loud daily driver that will hammer the lows all day when I throw my chopped and screwed music on, Im leaning more towards to 12"s but I would love to hear what the SSA Family has to put into this new setup.

Just one 15' SSA Xcon will make you forget your 3 CVX so quick !!!

Give him the good box and be careful with the gain. You will not regret it.

I heared one with "only" 1000-1200 watts rms and they pound so hard : it's insane !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just one 15' SSA Xcon will make you forget your 3 CVX so quick !!!Give him the good box and be careful with the gain. You will not regret it.

I heared one with "only" 1000-1200 watts rms and they pound so hard : it's insane !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I doubt it even though I know it will sound way better but yeah I know how to set the gains so that wont be a problem and it will see more than 1000-1200 watts.

Look into the new Sundown SA-12. Great sounding woofer that will go low and do it loudly!

Incriminator Lethal Injections are another great choice but with your amp, might recommend the Death Row series. I love my 15" Lethal Injections, they have great sound quality along with getting loud.

A lot of options here on SSA, that I think whatever choice you make will be a good one.

1 15" has 176.625 sqin of cone area

2 12" has 226.08 sqin of cone area.

I know that My xcon pounds the lows, but I have an 18 which is actually more than both of those. I have heard 2 15" icons and the pound the lows. I like both drivers, If it were me though I would go with the 2 12's. More cone area and I would love to see them on 2000 watts.

Thanks guys after debating this issue for 2 days I decided to go with the 2-12"s, since I will still be able to keep my system (just gonna sell one of the cvx's and amp to build a new box for 2-12"s).

What subs should I go for in a future upgrade, SSA ICONS or FI Q's so I can build the box for them (they will be played on a SAZ-2000D at 1500-2000 rms)? What tuning frequency (I luv lows, listen to mostly r&b and chopped/screwed music with rap and old school played occassionally)?

Thanks guys.

I would choose two 12" icons ported to 30 hz.

I have around 4-4.5 ft^3 of space available, what would be a good size for this setup? Thanks for your input.

I have around 4-4.5 ft^3 of space available, what would be a good size for this setup? Thanks for your input.

If you go Icons, they will love that box, so will the Q's I believe.

My only downfall is that I just went to a local car audio shop to ask them some questions about building my box unless I have my own set of tools by then, they looked up the subs parameters and were trying to pu them into WinISd Pro. I was telling him that I wanted a box around 4-4.5ft^3 @ 30-31Hz, he was saying lets let the program decide what will be best so after loading it into WinISD it said I should tune around 35-40Hz because he usually looks to where the box has a 12db peak at (thats the frequency he will use to tune the box at and 40Hz was the highest). I was like those arent even the recommendations of what the company said to roll with, is using WinISD good to design boxes and if so is there a way I can get the full T/S Parameters for a Icon 12"D1 and Xcon 15"D2 so I can use them in WinISD?

The shop also tried calling you guys from the number on your homepage and it didnt work so I just wanted to let you guys know that if you didnt already.

Edited by jay-cee

My only downfall is that I just went to a local car audio shop to ask them some questions about building my box unless I have my own set of tools by then, they looked up the subs parameters and were trying to pu them into WinISd Pro. I was telling him that I wanted a box around 4-4.5ft^3 @ 30-31Hz, he was saying lets let the program decide what will be best so after loading it into WinISD it said I should tune around 35-40Hz because he usually looks to where the box has a 12db peak at (thats the frequency he will use to tune the box at and 40Hz was the highest). I was like those arent even the recommendations of what the company said to roll with, is using WinISD good to design boxes and if so is there a way I can get the full T/S Parameters for a Icon 12"D1 and Xcon 15"D2 so I can use them in WinISD?

The shop also tried calling you guys from the number on your homepage and it didnt work so I just wanted to let you guys know that if you didnt already.

The VOIP modem is having issues, we will have it working soon. IF you want, you can PM me for our other number. The Icon D1 specs are close enough to the D2 specs that you can use those, and the Xcon D2 specs are on the SSA Store (link at the top).

Also, real life experience in vehicle testing >> WinISD.

I would never suggest tuning anything like an Icon or a Q in the 40hz range. They need to be in the high 20's to low 30's for a quality daily driver.

I agree. WinISD can be useful, but how the shop is using it is not helpful at all.

Is that 4-4.5 cubic feet of space before port and sub displacement? If so, just make the box as large as possible to get the most net volume out of a sufficient port. Are you planning to use aeros or slot port?

4.5ft^3 is after displacements (subs, port and bracing), I will be using a slot port.

Edited by jay-cee

So I will be selling subs to one person and the box to a friend who wants it. Now I will be starting from scratch, sub and port will be backward facing toward trunk opening powered by a Sundown SAZ-2000D @ 1ohm. I want to embark on something new and get a sub that will pound the lows with authority, enclosure after displacement 4-4.4ft^3 @ 30-32Hz (but still undecided, could go up or down: I listen to chopped/screwed, rap, r&b and old school). My budget is $350 or less per sub and I want 2-12" subwoofers, which sub and tuning frequency do you recommend?

SoundSplinter RL-p

SSA Icon

Mach 5 Audio IXL (when the new voice coil configuration comes out)

Sundown Audio SA-12 (on steroids, with some extra features to handle more power already talked to Jacob)

Incriminator Audio Death Row

DC Level 4

FI Q

So I will be selling subs to one person and the box to a friend who wants it. Now I will be starting from scratch, sub and port will be backward facing toward trunk opening powered by a Sundown SAZ-2000D @ 1ohm. I want to embark on something new and get a sub that will pound the lows with authority, enclosure after displacement 4-4.4ft^3 @ 30-32Hz (but still undecided, could go up or down: I listen to chopped/screwed, rap, r&b and old school). My budget is $350 or less per sub and I want 2-12" subwoofers, which sub and tuning frequency do you recommend?

SoundSplinter RL-p

SSA Icon

Sundown Audio SA-12 (on steroids, with some extra features to handle more power already talked to Jacob)

DC Level 4

FI Q

My vote is the custom Sundown SA-12 or the SSA ICON!

SoundSplinter is out of the RL-p 12 according to the website.

SoundSplinter RL-p

SSA Icon

DC Level 4

FI Q

The good thing about the Sundowns is it will match the amps(3) and Im getting a hell of deal on them :wacky: .

SoundSplinter RL-p

SSA Icon

DC Level 4

FI Q

The good thing about the Sundowns is it will match the amps(3) and Im getting a hell of deal on them :wacky: .

Used or new?

Very good question denim considering we talked about everything else except for that aspect. Im not stuck on the Sundown's just want to hear everyone's opinion.

I narrowed my choices down to 1-15" SSA Xcon(D2) or 2-12" DC Level 4(D1) in 4ft^3 @ 30-32Hz with 56-64 in^2 of Port Area, that internal volume is after displacements (subs, bracing and port).

Appreciate ya, I just gotta get all these decisions out the way and since Im unemployed at the moment I will be getting one thing at a time instead of everything together. I just need a: H/O Alternator, 2 batteries, marine dual battery charger, subs and box, 4 channel amp, Mach 5 Audio's and tweeters, plenty of deadening.

I just seen you build and might still the bed liner idea from you but I want to do my whole box.