Sign in to follow this  
Hell-Razor

Fi BTL 18"

I pretty much have all of this setup to be ordered then I started really thinking about things last night. I started thinking if I really wanted to go for a big boom or have somewhat sq within it. Then I was looking around at Q's and thought about nuking the BTL and going to a Q. Well here are my overall goals, I would like to be able to listen to more than just rap / bass cds and that's all I have heard people playing the BTL's on. I do listen to some rap but I like other music as well. Some examples would be stuff like this:

, example 2,
. And among all other things just general metal and rock and country. I would also like to be able to go to some competitions and put up some numbers eventually. Now I am told the BTL can be used for SQ if the install, box and dampening are done correctly. Can the BTL can do all of this? Or am I not going to be able to listen to anything (ie examples) except rap if I got the BTL (check out my front ends in my signature as well). My second concern was if my front end speakers will be able to keep up with the BTL. I dont want to have to turn the gain down on the sub to listen to most music. I understand for some you may have to but most of the songs I wouldn't want to. I do like my songs a little bass heavy though.

Maybe a 18" Q will do what I am looking for?

Edited by Hell-Razor

If your looking for a sq install the subwoofer should be the last thing your worried about. Focus more on your tweets and mids and how they are installed if thats your goal. The BTL is a spl subwoofer that can sound pretty good in a good enclosure. The Q is a sound quality driver that can get pretty loud in the right enclosure. Its all depends on what your goal is.

My goals are to be loud but sound good. To be able to listen to most kinds of music without having to change (much) and to be able to do competitions without getting my ass handed to me. Also I would really like the "holey cow" factor whenever somebody sits in the passenger seat and wants to bail out...

In my opinion go with the BTL. I have one tuned to 35hz and it sounds great. Most people tune a little lower.

Alright that makes me feel a little better that you guys are recommending the BTL. And yeah I do have the electrical to go with the BTL. But it looks like after talking to a friend that I may not have the space for it. My entire trunk measured out comes to around 16.3 cubic feet. I know I have enough for the box (and probably two 18s" if we just go with that) but not enough for it to breathe....

Edited by Hell-Razor

I have 2 18 btl's at 33 hz and they sure as hell sound damn good excellent subs guys

i see you like pendulum, haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg_Rx6u3Hus

at about 2 minutes in, i love playing it through the BTL

how does this sound on it? I really want to hear a 18" when it kicks into gear at 1:07... Also I wanna hear it bangin to

and hell, i want to hear it at the beginning, 0:33, 1:15, 2:29, 3:14, 3:45, 4:12, 4:33, the bass drop at 5:05 and 5:27, the drop at 6:10 is going to rattle the doors off, 6:35...screw it I want to hear the entire song.... Edited by Hell-Razor

If you can't fit 1 18" look into 1 15" or 2 12" BTL's

overall what would hit harder? i know its not really a fair question but 1 15 or 2 12? I do know the 12's have more cone area and will move more air and take the same power...

not to say 1 15'' cant be louder then 2 12s cuz its possible depending on arrangement. but 2 12s have 2x the coil and 2x the motor. just something to think about

overall what would hit harder? i know its not really a fair question but 1 15 or 2 12? I do know the 12's have more cone area and will move more air and take the same power...

As bad as I want 15" subwoofers since I only had 10"s and 12"s, if I can fit two 12"s in there perfectly then im going for the 12"s (more cone area plus more motor force on same power should be louder, plus with the 12"s im getting big box isnt a requirement leaving more room for my amps to breathe). Its just gonna be one of those all nite decisions to see what you will give up or trade off for one or the either but both will do the job and sound good, just remember install and box are 90-95% of the install and equipment is the last 5-10%. Hope all goes well and good luck with everything.

Sign in to follow this