Hi-

I am going to add a little midbass to my ride (it doesn't really have any atm). I am going to buy 4 MLI-65 midbass woofers. I am going to make a sealed enclosure for all 4 for the rear deck. Any recommendations on how big this should be?

Thanks.

Why not use 1 per door ? They should sound wicked in decently deadened doors.

I'd love to, but my car only has holes for 5.25 speakers. I have some rf power 5.25's in the front and it's not nearly enough.

Why not use 1 per door ? They should sound wicked in decently deadened doors.

They did in my last install. :)

I'd love to, but my car only has holes for 5.25 speakers. I have some rf power 5.25's in the front and it's not nearly enough.

see if you can build out a baffle out to fit bigger drivers. my factory speakers size was 5.25 and i fit 8s im my doors w/ no cutting of the door metal..

I would see about building them out as well! 1 pair up front should be adequate.

Definitely put them up front. Makes no sense to me to put them in the rear as it would be way easier to get monster midbass from a sub in the rear than mids anyway. Bringing them up front will have all sorts of benefits though. :)

I would see about building them out as well! 1 pair up front should be adequate.

I agree. Mine did awesome on a well deadened door and 55watts or so. :)

Thanks everyone! I'd like to retain the 5.25's in the front right now, but later on I plan on making a fiberglass door panel for the 5.25's, and 2 mli-65's in each door. I didn't realize it made that much of a difference having them up front. Unfortunately I am in college and I am poor lol, I think I am going to have to use some of the mdf I have laying around to make the box I described. I've never actually fiberglassed something like that before, anyone know how much (in general) that would set me back?

Custom glass work will run you between $500-1500 depending on what needs to be done.

No that was paying someone to do it. $50-200 depending on what stuff you already have at home to do it yourself.

Ah ok. Thanks. I'll definitely be doing that in the future then. I don't have anything right now, so it's a bit much to do right away. Not having money sucks. lol.

Sounds like an interesting project. Good luck with it.

I dont wanna hijack this thread, but it could help this OP too. if they went through with their original plans and put the 4 midbass in the rear deck, what should the cutoff be on the LPF to them to keep the soundstage sounding like its coming from in front of you?

I dont wanna hijack this thread, but it could help this OP too. if they went through with their original plans and put the 4 midbass in the rear deck, what should the cutoff be on the LPF to them to keep the soundstage sounding like its coming from in front of you?

I can directional hear 50Hz, so ie you shouldn't use midbasses for that application but subs. Easy enough to make an IXL play into the 150Hz range. Way better solution if you just want output from the rear.

Actually, thanks I would like to know as well.

I think you went and checked your thread without seeing the second page. my question was the last post on page one, and he already answered in the first post on this (2nd) page.

nobody said they dont sound good, or wont work back there, its being said that it would be better to put them up front if possible, because you want the sound coming at you from the front, and not the back.

and you have no crossover on them at all? no LP, no HP? what kind of enclosure?

hi just answering his question

in boxes 2 per box 1 5" 4 " port , sq ft some where around 1.5 cu,

passive cross to tweeter in box also, zobel , they go low no crying or pops, funny really how well they work, daily driver

I'm going to fabricate 2 boxes on the rear deck temporarily until I have the time/money/materials to make custom door panels. I'll post some pictures sometime whenever I can get to it (unfortunately it seems to be far away...)

This is certainly a different setup. I'll be watching the outcome :)

Interesting, I've only now found the *real* midbass benefits of these lovely little drivers as they are now only playing 50-500hz compared to 63/80-2.5khz before. Only the pair in some well deadened doors and 200wrms per driver BAM I can't say complete bass up front (obviously not subbass stuff) but certainly helped a lot. With the less "range" of freq's to play and a notch or two up from minimum on the gains and I'm VERY impressed.

Jono

Interesting, I've only now found the *real* midbass benefits of these lovely little drivers as they are now only playing 50-500hz compared to 63/80-2.5khz before. Only the pair in some well deadened doors and 200wrms per driver BAM I can't say complete bass up front (obviously not subbass stuff) but certainly helped a lot. With the less "range" of freq's to play and a notch or two up from minimum on the gains and I'm VERY impressed.

Jono

:drink40: