Julian

Trupan Light

Im interested in Turpan, if you'd divulge where you get it from?

I don't want to mess around with MDF, hearing the horror stories.

Thanks, Julian.

Im interested in Turpan, if you'd divulge where you get it from?

I don't want to mess around with MDF, hearing the horror stories.

Thanks, Julian.

What MDF horror stories have you heard, please share with us.

a lot of dust and glue floating around in the air when its being ripped, people coughing up blood, I've heard it cuts evenly and smoother, routes easier, and holds screws much better than MDF. and it's not as hard on equipment as MDF

a lot of dust and glue floating around in the air when its being ripped, people coughing up blood, I've heard it cuts evenly and smoother, routes easier, and holds screws much better than MDF. and it's not as hard on equipment as MDF

What do you mean by MDF being hard on equipment?

Please explain more, I havent coughed up blood (none of my friends have either and they build boxes all day long). Instead of writing small statements, please give better explanantions so I can further understand. If this was the case then why do everybody and there mother use MDF (95% of the time if not more). If you build your box correctly you dont need screws or nails, so that is not to relevant (plus I used nails in my box).

What do you mean by MDF being hard on equipment?

Please explain more, I havent coughed up blood (none of my friends have either and they build boxes all day long). Instead of writing small statements, please give better explanantions so I can further understand. If this was the case then why do everybody and there mother use MDF (95% of the time if not more). If you build your box correctly you dont need screws or nails, so that is not to relevant (plus I used nails in my box).

I agree. I've never heard of people coughing up blood or anything like that. me and my friend build boxes out of MDF for people out of a garage and never has he said anything like that. Yes there is going to be dust. when is there not going to be dust in the air when working with wood?? If your worried about the strength of MDF. you could go with birch wood. it's lighter but more dense that MDF.

Next time I build a box I will wear a mask and goggles for protection but dont really need it (better safe than sorry).

Next time I build a box I will wear a mask and goggles for protection but dont really need it (better safe than sorry).

when i'm sanding or using the table saw. then yes i were goggles. but if i'm just assembling, no i don't

I have had more than one person tell me that MDF dust can cause cancer! Funny thing is almost everything can give you cancer... I'm not worried

i would assume that inhaling small particals of anything could hurt you. especially wood. the same concept goes for wearing a mask when sanding bondo.

Only reason you should be coughing up blood when working with MDF is inhaling the dust. I always use masks when dealing with materials that have a lot of particulate matter flying off them, be it drywall, MDF, cement board or fiberglass insulation. Shit will injure or kill you if you let it, be safe!

Yeah that's what i've been reading basically.

also im worried about the MDF splitting due to screws.

If you wear a respirator no trouble.

If you pre-drill your holes, no problem.

No matter what material you use you really should follow both those steps.

about the fact of everyone using MDF instead of trupan, Id use the trupan if it wasnt for the fact MDF is at every home depot, lowes, and local lumber yard, and I have no clue where to get the trupan from. its only 60% the weight of MDF isnt it?

"First is its weight. Trupan Light is only 80% of the overall weight of regular MDF. This will yield a much lighter enclosure overall" from FC website.

I have not done TONS of research on this topic, however I understand that MDF is relativiely high in Formaldhyde. It is used in the glues to make the product. Trupan, is supposed to be free of this apparently.

However, when cutting or routing wood, a respirator should ALWAYS be used. Chemicals or not, fine dust is harmful to breathe in.

I get Trupan at a local lumberyard. Check around, they should be able to order it in for you if they do not stock it.

i JUST now noticed this, you're located in garden plains, KS; I'm located in Liberty MO where do you purchase your turpan? you're about 231 miles away. and how much do you get a sheet for?

i JUST now noticed this, you're located in garden plains, KS; I'm located in Liberty MO where do you purchase your turpan? you're about 231 miles away. and how much do you get a sheet for?

I get it from a local lumberyard, Fisher Lumber. Runs a little over $30 per sheet.

Ah so about double the price of MDF.

Man, if 30 dollars is double the price of MDF and these were both 4X8 sheets then you guys can get MDF for dirt cheap. MDF is $27 after tax for a 4x8 sheet at the local lowes.

Man, if 30 dollars is double the price of MDF and these were both 4X8 sheets then you guys can get MDF for dirt cheap. MDF is $27 after tax for a 4x8 sheet at the local lowes.

I havent purchased MDF for well over 7 or 8 years, so I cant tell you what it runs per sheet.

At the Home Depot by my house in Houston, we used to pull off the sticker. Then they would have to look it up, and the other Home Depot for a while at least, would sell it for $20.

same here dude when he said 30 i was like thats not a big deal