tieone38

Kappa VS Reference

I'm looking into some new speakers for the rear spot in my ride (I have only stock as of now), although I have gone all kicker as far as the other speakers so far I want to throw either some Infinity or polk audio in the rear. I guess my question is what are better (or how are they different) Kappa or Reference style speakers?? Also I may scrap the whole Infinity/Polk idea and just go with some 6' Alpine type R's, but I've heard they have issues with the tweeters can anyone confirm? Anyway thanks for your time and be patient with my beginner lever questions, thanks.

Have you listened to any of them? Better in this case is solely subjective, not sure why you'd care. Also unsure what you mean by "issues"

**I own a couple different Alpine tweets and will say out of the major brands they normally pick winners; however, that is very set dependent and I don't buy sets but replacements and use them active

Stick with Kicker and go with the SS line. They are great.

Yea, I've listened to both the Kappa and reference Infinitys. I Guess what my question was whats the main difference between the two, sound wise I think the Kappas may have had a little better bass. The Alpine Type Rs had a Tweeter on their 6" model that often times caused distortion with other speakers, thats what I heard anyway.

Kicker ss? alright I'll check them out. Thanks for the fast response' Y'all.

I Agree With Tirefryr On This One, When You Decide To Upgrade Though, Ditch The Rears And Find A Suitable Component Set For The Front (Or Two). Seeing As You Have A Basic Setup For Now, Just Go With The SS Line From Kicker.

Yea, I am leaning towards Polk.

As for kicker I may have to go with the KS or QS models. All the 6.5 SS are a little expensive for me atm.

Find them used or on Ebay or forums. The SS components have a FABULOUS tweet, as do the RS series from the early 90s.

OP I sent you a pm.

Yea, I've listened to both the Kappa and reference Infinitys. I Guess what my question was whats the main difference between the two, sound wise I think the Kappas may have had a little better bass. The Alpine Type Rs had a Tweeter on their 6" model that often times caused distortion with other speakers, thats what I heard anyway.

Kicker ss? alright I'll check them out. Thanks for the fast response' Y'all.

Caused distortion in other speakers? That doesn't make sense at all.

The most glaring difference between kappa and reference are the tweeters. The kappa uses metal, while reference uses silk. You can easily tell the difference when listening.

i have the kappa's and they sound very good for the price. I switched out the mid bass's to kicker SS's and it made a world of change. More authority and much more precise than the kappa mid bass. Wish i could get my hands on the matching tweeters too.

The SS's are that much nicer than the Infinity Kappas, huh? I think I'll check Ebay and try to find a deal on them....after I check them out at my neighborhood dealer (provided they have them in stock).

And thanks for the Info on the tweeter differences on the reference and Kappa infinity's. About the type R's, yea that sounded a little weird to me as well, but thats just something I heard from a few difference sources.

but thats just something I heard from a few very questionable sources.

fixed

I have all Infinity Kappa's in my car and I have had several amps on them from Deck power to my USAMP and I can tell you they are Power Hungry!

I ran them off deck power for 6 months are was very disappointed no bass at all and just highs, then put them on a PG ZX475ti 4-channel and they sounded much better but still crappy bass, now I have them powered by a USAMPS XT1600.4 V2 Amp and all I can say is WOW they WOKE UP!

They don't even sound like the same speakers, they needs lots of power to sound good.

I'm very happy with them ive had them for 4 years now and still going strong, so they have my vote.

BTW Kappa's are much better than References, the REF's are entry level the Kappa's are the upper end.

ive also had type'r's they did get a tad bit louder but the sound quality wasnt as good as the kappa's

Edited by Steveman09

I have some Infinity Kappa's if interested or still looking, great speakers (sound ver clear amd crisp).