tejcurrent

Tahoe Rebuild 10kw

I am downgrading to have room for my work/ new children. I removed almost everything about a year ago and finally have time to put things in. I have a 6 month old and another on the way, so I have to haul around a lot of kid stuff right now, as well as tools and equipment for work.

Box will be ~10ft net with about 115sq of port. It's a bit small, but I need 1/2 of the back for cargo, and I figure it should be fine with the power I'm planning on using and box rise and all.

I will have 10 runs of 1/0- Knu Fleks, Shok industries. Only 4 D 3100s for now, but I will be running good alt power. For now I have 2 alts and an MLA module (300a @ idle, 15.6v), soon to be going with DC Power and ~ 700amps @ idle. If I need more batteries with that much alt power I will add as needed, but I don't have the budget at the moment.

Equipment:

2 oldschool BTL 18s ('06)

American Bass 1000.1

Realm 6.5s (considering 3-way active)

Eclipse 4ch (don't remember model)

Alpine h/u 9831

Not worth mentioning the rest.

Slow start today, got the battery rack and amp rack built, the majority of the wood is cut, just need to do the finish cuts and assemble tomorrow. Then wire everything up the next day probably.

Temporary alt setup:

Mechman6.jpg

DSC01795.jpg

DSC01796.jpg

DSC01798.jpg

RPD19.jpg

RPD18.jpg

Oct_09_2BTL_001.jpg

Oct_09_2BTL_002.jpg

Oct_09_2BTL_003.jpg

More to come in the next few weeks. My goals here are to leave plenty of room to haul, with 150+ @ 30hz. Any comments/advice are appreciated.

damn, me and shizzzon was just talking about that amp earlier tonight and we talked about high powered alternators with that much power at idle too.

Which dc power alt line are you getting? 350 at idle? shit. What does it do at 2k rpm? I wished I had a bigger engine. lol.

subscribing.

damn, me and shizzzon was just talking about that amp earlier tonight and we talked about high powered alternators with that much power at idle too.

Which dc power alt line are you getting? 350 at idle? shit. What does it do at 2k rpm? I wished I had a bigger engine. lol.

subscribing.

I'm running Mechman at the moment, 250a unit is rated around 160-170 at idle. I'm running 2 alts now, but will probably go to 3 or 4. The dc alts are rated 180 idle for the 270, but I believe there are larger units that do more than 200 at idle. I really don't want to speak for the product till I've bought and tried it though.

This amp is miserable! It looks awesome, but moving 70 + lbs around gently and without scuffing/scratching it is not very easy.

Thanks!

Im tuned in :popcorn: , be back after I get something to drink.

Wow 2 kids under 1 and you wanna go small with 10Kw of power!!! What does the wife say? I know my wife hates me having just a 125.1 sundown and a 10" Icon with our 2 year old!!

You got yourself a awesome wifey there, if she is letting you do this lol.

The wife is not thrilled lol :)

She hated the 4 18s, but I told her I'm not going to sell everything off. If I have it sitting around the house cluttering things up I may as well install it, right? :D

After year of riding around unable to put anything in the back of the vehicle this is a good compromise in my opinion, though she'd be happy if I restored everything to the way it was from the factory.

I usually turn the subs entirely off when my wife is a passenger anyway, and I plan to do that with my children. For anyone thinking of going down that route- I'm much smarter than to subject my kids to that kind of music volume, I listen to talk radio most of the time with the family in the car anyway.

Thanks guys!

You got a good woman there buddy. My kids are all older (youngest 10-oldest 16) and although I don't crank it when I have them, every now and then they love to hear the "boom boom" as they call it.......lol

Thanks, we've been together 7 years now, dated through part of high school, she's been great. We still have quite a while on the kids, but it will be a long time before they will actually hear things.

I didn't get much done today, only had an hour or so, but tomorrow the fun starts.

I have a friend who should be getting me some 1/2" copper buss bars, but till then I decided not to use fuse holders, just 1/4" aluminum buss bars. The amp needs 800-1000 amps of fusing depending on who you talk to and where you're reading, I have 250s and 200s so I'm debating what to use. I never thought I'd get to use my 12" miter saw that works good on masonry and metal, it was like Christmas to get to use it for once lol.

Oct_09_2BTL_004.jpg

2 bars cut to fit

Oct_09_2BTL_005.jpg

Oct_09_2BTL_006.jpg

Mocked up to figure out where to drill things.

Oct_09_2BTL_007.jpg

The aluminum bars over the amp aren't screwed in place, so things look crooked but it's straight now. They're just extra security, whatever it's worth.

Oct_09_2BTL_008.jpg

Almost how I want it, it's temporary till the copper comes in. The fuse holders were really just plastic with a bolt to hold wire and fuse together, so this has about 100x more metal regardless.

I have gotten my moneys worth out of this saw.

Oct_09_2BTL_009.jpg

Cut everything so tomorrow all I have to do is assemble.

Oct_09_2BTL_010.jpg

I used a circular saw for the last box, honestly I will never again if I don't have to, it's just so much faster to use the table saw. And perfect cuts every time is nice too.

Oct_09_2BTL_012.jpg

Assembly tomorrow, I can't even hook things up till the rest of my wire comes in so I might be driving around with subs and amp just not even fully hooked up :bull:

Sometimes its just the thought of the equipment in the car that still gets you excited even though its not hooked up (you will be riding around listening to a song imagining the bass lines and how they would sound).

i like where this is going...... that amp is awesome....... loving the four sets of power input....FTW :woot:

chop

IAK

These pics were taken with my phone because I forgot my camera at home. I have to upload the ones from my camera so I'll post these in the mean time. Today I assembled the box completely, I just have to throw some terminals in (using bolts again) and the subs/wiring.

Started with the bottom and sides

Oct_09_2BTL_013.jpg

Oct_09_2BTL_014.jpg

Back wall, indented to fit over the amp rack.

3/4 round over on the face at the port opening

Oct_09_2BTL_015.jpg

Oct_09_2BTL_016.jpg

And the front is on

Oct_09_2BTL_017.jpg

Oct_09_2BTL_018.jpg

Ready for the top and to cut some holes.

Oct_09_2BTL_019.jpg

Oct_09_2BTL_020.jpg

Got a new toy a few weeks ago I've been dying to use. I've had a rotozip, but there was a set on sale with tons of attachments at Lowes one day. It's a circle jig for the rotozip that cuts up to 20" diameter holes.

Oct_09_2BTL_023.jpg

Oct_09_2BTL_024.jpg

Small review: If you don't have a jasper or good router jig, but have a rotozip buy this. It's like $20 by itself, and can be helpful. It is extremely easy to use, and pretty accurate.

On the downside it has a tendency to start drifting off it's mark after a while, but not bad. The base for the rotozip is adjustable in height so you can sort of plunge, but without the plunge router bass it isn't very sturdy so you may have some dimples in your perfect holes.

Overall it's pretty quick, small, and better than a jigsaw.

First hole in the first layer.

Oct_09_2BTL_021.jpg

I'll have more pictures as soon as I get them off my camera and resize them. Some time tonight.

I swung by my house for lunch to grab my camera and subs. Just took a quick pic of them, I bought them in Oct 06, so there have been quite a few changes since I bought these lol:

Oct_09_2BTL_025.jpg

I wasn't completely happy with the way the rotozip cut the holes compared to my router, but it did a good enough job anyway. Finished with the wood work

Oct_09_2BTL_026.jpg

Oct_09_2BTL_027.jpg

5/8" all thread bracing:

Oct_09_2BTL_028.jpg

Oct_09_2BTL_029.jpg

Drilling for the rod

Oct_09_2BTL_030.jpg

More drilling lol it seemed to take forever.

Oct_09_2BTL_032.jpg

The bottom with the rod countersunk.

Oct_09_2BTL_033.jpg

Top to bottom bracing:

Oct_09_2BTL_034.jpg

More drilling:

Oct_09_2BTL_035.jpg

And finished

Oct_09_2BTL_035.jpg

Tomorrow I just need to put terminals in and wire it up, hope to get it done but I'll be pretty busy with work. I found out there is no store within an hour of me that carries 1/0 or terminals. It's retarded.

O damn. I just realized that amp has 4 sets of power/grounds lmao.

Btw I like the way you countersunk the threaded rod. I am going to have to steal that idea from you.

Im enjoying the progress, take a break and have a :drink40: .

Btw I like the way you countersunk the threaded rod. I am going to have to steal that idea from you.

Thanks, go right ahead. I bought metal plates from Lowes a while back to save ^ft, but just used mdf instead since I couldn't find the metal when I needed it. It's by the concrete/wood area I think, some of the framing supplies.

Looking good so far. :)

Thanks.

I didn't have much time today between work and a doctors visit. I found out I have to have my nose re-broken from an old injury so I can breath and get it not so crooked lol. Might be out of things for a few days soon, but hopefully I'll get it all together before the surgery.

Cut the ground runs from the amp to the battery.

Oct_09_2BTL_037.jpg

Shok industries 1/0. Seems like rf or kicker flex. 5200 strand count. I'll upload some comparison pics but it's pretty much like any other good 1/0- I just really like the black.

Oct_09_2BTL_038.jpg

Got the terminals in today. I used to run a bolt for every wire input so I can change the wiring from outside the box, but honestly that's not really an option here - just 2 ohms.

Oct_09_2BTL_039.jpg

Slapped the fuses in place. Can't wait to get copper, should make it look a bit nicer.

Oct_09_2BTL_040.jpg

I was going to run some temporary wire just to get things going till my red knu comes in, but the old stinger stuff I have just isn't flexible enough, and I can't see wasting ring terminals just for a week or so.

Just posted this pic because of all those who bched about the tinsels on their original BTLs. This sub was bought in October of '06, played on a 2000w hifonics amp for a few months till I bought memphis 4kws and ran like that for 2 years. There's barely any wear visible at all. Tinsel slap my azz.

Oct_09_2BTL_041.jpg

Now watch me f it up lol.

Wiring the subs up tomorrow, probably running my grounds too.

That shok cable is looking nice. I am also loving the leads on that btl. Looking nice and fat =)

I'm going to tune into this one. I like the look of everything so far :woot:

Very nice start! I like your idea on your fuse block!

Wired the subs up yesterday. Each sub in series then parallel @ 2 ohms final load.

All I need is power wire and it's ready to test. I have a feeling I'll be rebuilding again soon, which is why I spent so little effort making things look nice.

Oct_09_2BTL_043.jpg

Oct_09_2BTL_044.jpg

Oct_09_2BTL_045.jpg

Oct_09_2BTL_046.jpg

Oct_09_2BTL_047.jpg

Oct_09_2BTL_048.jpg

Plenty of room left for baby stuff. We went pumpkin shopping yesterday and bought several while hauling all kinds of other stuff.

Oct_09_2BTL_052.jpg

It is really time consuming to tighten that nut 1/4 turn at a time. There just isn't enough room to fit anything else in there lol.

Oct_09_2BTL_049.jpg

Oct_09_2BTL_042.jpg

Oct_09_2BTL_050.jpg

Oct_09_2BTL_051.jpg

Looks like tedious work! But fun! Those amp terminals are ridiculous. That amp is crazy lookin. Nice goin so far. It looks good. And plenty of room for groceries and things! Just keep tellin yourself that and it will stick. fing05.gif

Edited by bigrank916