tejcurrent

Tahoe Rebuild 10kw

Looks like tedious work! But fun! Those amp terminals are ridiculous. That amp is crazy lookin. Nice goin so far. It looks good. And plenty of room for groceries and things! Just keep tellin yourself that and it will stick. fing05.gif

Yeah, there is still a lot of room left over. I bet it's really loud too. But why are you going to rebuild it again?

nice seed your planting in that trunk! watch it grow as you children do! mine did! really good lookin work

There are some metals that work better, stainless and the zinc coated stuff, can't remember which I bought though. I've been using it for years, I just can't remember lol.

You an me both! I rush ordered the last 50ft of knu, so this should all be in by Wednesday. I still have some Shok I can start crimping/soldering terminals on.

:)

looks really good!

Such a big box, and you have so moch room left?!!! Damn, that's a huge trunk!

What is this amp? I see 1000.1 written on it, but it might be 10 000 watts. It looks like a beast!

Do you like it?

looks really good!

Such a big box, and you have so moch room left?!!! Damn, that's a huge trunk!

What is this amp? I see 1000.1 written on it, but it might be 10 000 watts. It looks like a beast!

Do you like it?

It's an American Bass 1000.1, basically two 500.1s in a case. They're named like the power they put out with a 0 dropped off the end.

From the AB website they say, "14.4 11200 Watt @2 OHM", but I believe it's more like 9600-10,000 watts rms. I'm hoping to keep things around 15 volts but it'll probably drop around 14-14.5. My goal is to get the charging system keeping things steady at 2 ohms, then dropping it to 1ohm on 2 subs able to handle 6-7kw each, or back to 4 btls. Since I've never read of a single problem at 1/2 ohm on the 500.1 I feel pretty confident. If it doesn't go out on me it should be good for quite a bit of power.

I like it better than having to mount multiple amps, but I really haven't tried it out yet, I know it's not the highest selling model or brand out there, but they make great products.

Today I wired up my line driver, I'll have to upload pics tomorrow. Pretty much soldered in power wire and ran all the connections. I'm using the Memphis unit I had before. It's a pain to adjust the amps output with where it's located and how it's held down. Plus my Alpine H/U has 1v pre-out.

It's much easier to change the input voltage to the amp, though until I get the rest of my alts/batteries I probably wont be able to crank it up full tilt anyway.

It's done except for wiring the amp to power. I don't have enough power wire. It's in transit- 50ft roll of 1/0 Knu Fleks for the last runs of power and the wire for the amp. Should be here Wednesday.

I thought I had a ton of crimp ring terminals, but unfortunately I found out I was short after ordering the wire. I ordered the terminals from a local shop, so should have another 40 by Wed. too. Now I'm trying to figure out a rack for the fuse holders under the hood.

Again, more pics tomorrow, but given the wire comes in on time I'll have it up and running Wednesday night/Thursday morning.

That memphis driver is a great piece. I had one in my old setup and it truly does help.

That reminds me I need to post that bitch on the for sale section lol.

Thanks!

I crimped and soldered the ground wires today:

Oct_09_2BTL_053.jpg

I use 1/2" pex crimpers and a bolt to help round the edges in. Really fast and easy. It holds great by itself, but I soldered the ends anyway.

Oct_09_2BTL_054.jpg

Oct_09_2BTL_056.jpg

Oct_09_2BTL_058.jpg

Oct_09_2BTL_059.jpg

Tomorrow the power wire should arrive, and given the terminals come in too everything will get wired up. I suppose if it gets in too late it will be Thursday morning, but that's all that's left to have it playing.

ready to see some vids

car audio work in the living room = FTW !!!

hey do you have a sec to post a pic of the crimper / bolt combo in action?

chop

I love how it happens right there in the living room.

car audio work in the living room = FTW !!!

hey do you have a sec to post a pic of the crimper / bolt combo in action?

chop

Scifi channel was having a zombie marathon yesterday, I couldn't miss that lol- had to crimp inside.

Oct_09_2BTL_057.jpg

There's a quick pic, it's hard to do while holding a camera too. I just hold the wire/terminal with one hand, and push down with the other.

Keep the pictures coming.

Today with everything in I hauled 100 linear feet of molding, a bunch of paint and stuff, 2 people, and a 36x80 wood door in the back half of my vehicle with plenty of room to spare.

I'm really trying to buy the E-350 van off my mom and use that for work. There's sooo much room in that thing I could wall it off with these 2 18s, shove a crap of batteries in, and still build a separate wall in back for tools and stuff. Don't see that happening though :(

Wire came in today, but the mfers who were supposed to get my 1/0 terminals didn't. I could have ordered offline if I wanted them tomorrow. I HATE dealing with shops because I have only dealt with 1 that was decent. They lie to get business, don't know wtf they're doing. How do you have 4 15's in a wall do less than 140db? Ask a shop anywhere near Myrtle Beach SC, they can recreate their demo car for you.

/Rant.

50 ft of Kolossus Fleks. It feels like more than 21lbs but thats the shipping weight.

Oct_09_2BTL_061.jpg

Oct_09_2BTL_062.jpg

Shok vs Knu - black is shock, red is knu.

Oct_09_2BTL_063.jpg

This is some thick wire, the wire has a lower strand count than the shok, but is certainly much thicker. It has a poon jacket though, very thin, but very flexible.

Oct_09_2BTL_064.jpg

Unlike most wire I've used it's actually thick enough to hold a terminal in place, it's very hard to jam all the wire in without losing a few strands.

Oct_09_2BTL_065.jpg

Oct_09_2BTL_066.jpg

Crimped and ready for solder. No pics of that since it's just repetition.

Oct_09_2BTL_067.jpg

More pics tomorrow after I hook up the amp. I don't know when that will be since I don't have terminals to hook up all the wire.

Mechman6.jpg

Mechman7.jpg

Just thought I'd add a few pics of under the hood. I'm getting ready to change that, but dual alts, K&N intake makes it easy to do alt work and see what's going on in there.

I also figure since this is the official build log I'll add some pics of my Second Skin Install from when I did my doors:

A door pack of Damplifier Pro, plus 2 gallons of Spectrum.

RPD17.jpg

RPD5.jpg

I put 1 layer of damplifier on the inner and outer parts of the rear doors, but there was not enough to go around on the front. I put 1 layer on the entire outer skin, and some around the panels where the speakers rest.

FDD3.jpg

RDD12.jpg

Cleaned well with acetone and ready for Spectrum.

FPD3.jpg

RPD31.jpg

FDD5.jpg

FPD4.jpg

I put 2-3 coats on top of the Damplifier, and went heavier where there I couldn't get the mat.

speakers3.jpg

speakers6.jpg

speakers5.jpg

I got the components for free, I can't complain especially for the money. I'd love to do a nice 2 or 3-way active setup though, but there is no local shop I trust to help with the process and I don't have time right now. Anyway, just wanted to throw some pics up of the rest of the truck.

I bet that shop did not even order the stuff yet. When they order it comes in the next day or a couple days. I used to work in a shop and the manager wouldn't order for a couple weeks. He would say it was out of stock lol.

I bet that shop did not even order the stuff yet. When they order it comes in the next day or a couple days. I used to work in a shop and the manager wouldn't order for a couple weeks. He would say it was out of stock lol.

They told me I had to hurry up and order Monday because they were about to order that afternoon, and that everything normally gets in 1 or 2 days later. He pretty much guaranteed it by Wednesday.

I wouldn't be pissed if they told me it could be the end of the week, but don't make promises you can't keep, you know?