I have a question, I was rolling down the highway when one of my friends in my backseat heard sparks shooting from the battery (which was when I looked back to see my battery posts red hot and melted. I have the Kinetik HC1800 in the back, and just a stock Interstate battery in the front along with the Big 3 in 1/0 wiring. What would be the cause of this major problem??? And yes I did stop in the middle of the road to fan out the smoke in the back :( :(

PS Ill get pictures of the demolished battery if you would like :P

get some pics!! this i wnat to see! lol..

i personally haven't heard or seen this before so ya!!

Sounds like something may have arced the + and - terminals and shorted the battery out on itself?

OOH! Get pics, but if it's at all possible, try to get it red hot again! :)

Alrighty heres some pics of the battery itself and the 1/0 wire connector...

DSC01136.jpg

Negative post...

DSC01137.jpg

Positive post

DSC01138.jpg

Anddddd the 1/0 wire and connector

DSC01139.jpg

Keep in mind these posts were red hot when and shooting sparks,oh yeahhh look at that LIQUID METAL

that liquid metal is HOT stuff omg! i guess with like 5000amp short curcuit it would kill something and melt steel!! wow man!

i would for sure get intouch with kinetik first to see what they say and tell'em you got pics lol!

b/c if the battery failed under normal, then it is there fault and you get a free one! (i hope for your sake)

Edited by CrazyKenKid

This is normal for Kinetik's. .These types of batteries do this from time to time, don't worry about it....

I hope u didn't believe that, lol

When it was red hot and smokin.. did u by any chance notice if the connections on both power and ground posts on the batt were secured tightly?

also, once u took the terminals off, have u traced to where these cables go and make sure it's secured tightly there too?

\

Oh.. and do NOT use that battery anymore either.

Curious too, have u inspected your other battery up front?

This is normal for Kinetik's. .These types of batteries do this from time to time, don't worry about it....

I hope u didn't believe that, lol

When it was red hot and smokin.. did u by any chance notice if the connections on both power and ground posts on the batt were secured tightly?

also, once u took the terminals off, have u traced to where these cables go and make sure it's secured tightly there too?

\

Oh.. and do NOT use that battery anymore either.

Curious too, have u inspected your other battery up front?

Well I didnt notice if they were screwed on tightly or not because they were already melted to the posts, along with the washers (The washers are in the giant puddle of molten lava :P) No I didnt check the front battery yet because I was too busy on trying not to get my carpet on fire! Haha tomorrow before school Im going to check the front battery. Which batteries do you guys suggest I get? .... I know some people who have these but have no problems at all, maybe Im just one of the lucky ones :(

well first contact kinetik and see if they can do anything for you! you never know you might get lucky!! lol! but if you are looking for a new battery go deka or XS

it's more important at this point to figure out the reason before replacing it.

Just out of curiosity.. take a multimeter and connect it to both posts set to ohms and see if it reads somethin on the battery. Very VERY slim chance but it shouldnt read anything. If it does... then the battery shorted itself... again very unlikely.

Without knowing how the terminals were on the battery.. i can speculate that one or both terminals on both posts were loose and was arc welding.

So, going by speculation, how were the cables secured on the battery?

ahah i just got back from tighening mine down jsut to be sure lol!!!

just the one i assume! he hasn't checked the front battery yet lol!

Edited by CrazyKenKid

just the one i assume! he hasn't checked the front battery yet lol!

Watch it... the front may be WORSE :) ... (be ready for more pics :) :) ) haha just kidding

it's more important at this point to figure out the reason before replacing it.

Just out of curiosity.. take a multimeter and connect it to both posts set to ohms and see if it reads somethin on the battery. Very VERY slim chance but it shouldnt read anything. If it does... then the battery shorted itself... again very unlikely.

Without knowing how the terminals were on the battery.. i can speculate that one or both terminals on both posts were loose and was arc welding.

So, going by speculation, how were the cables secured on the battery?

They were both screwed on with the little butterfly looking twisties, about as tight as my little arms could twist them, and yes they took a little work to get them off as well.

lol wire-ties! that is teh best idea i have heard of yet! lmoa! i guess they have a metal center so why not! lol!

lol wire-ties! that is teh best idea i have heard of yet! lmoa! i guess they have a metal center so why not! lol!

So youre calling me mentally CHALLENGED?!?!? .... tell me something I dont know :P :P :P hahahah just kiddin'

But Im calling the Kinetik peeps tomorrow to see what they can figure out, and Ill go from there. (Good thing I didnt put my darling Fi 18" Qs in yet, the good ole' Kicker L5 took the brunt of the impact! ...)

L5! nice! got some pics? this i wnat to see!! how is the amp? any damage?

Yes L5.. :) my temporary system until I get my box finished and the amp ordered. I have to check that stuff out tomorrow, since it was a little dark when I was doing all this stuff, and my garage is full things for my 12 cu ft. box. Ya know you never get anything done when the weather doesn't like you.. :P

Yes L5.. :) my temporary system until I get my box finished and the amp ordered. I have to check that stuff out tomorrow, since it was a little dark when I was doing all this stuff, and my garage is full things for my 12 cu ft. box. Ya know you never get anything done when the weather doesn't like you.. :P

o that happens all to often up here in canada lol normally we got snow and then the polar bears come around and wnat to play lmoa! jk!

o that happens all to often up here in canada lol normally we got snow and then the polar bears come around and wnat to play lmoa! jk!

Well I guess Ive hit a Black Bear on the highway doing 70 up in Minnesota, just north of Minneapolis... oh dont worry, I went back the next day to take pictures, Ive got some pics if you want to see that too :) Jaw was ripped off.... And keep in mind I hit it with a small Honda Accord...