Rob562

why do people run 2 or 3 runs of zero gauge

Im going to be running a power hungry setup. two sundown 2000d to 2 orion hcca 15.2 subs.1 sundown 100.4 and 125.2. 3 sets of componets front & rear doors & kick panels. My question is why do people run 2 or 3 lines of 0 gauge to the back? also im running a 300amp alt 1 kinetik 2000 under the hood and two 2400s for the audio. im piecing everything together rite now should be done in a month. just waiting on the componets

Im going to be running a power hungry setup. two sundown 2000d to 2 orion hcca 15.2 subs.1 sundown 100.4 and 125.2. 3 sets of componets front & rear doors & kick panels. My question is why do people run 2 or 3 lines of 0 gauge to the back? also im running a 300amp alt 1 kinetik 2000 under the hood and two 2400s for the audio. im piecing everything together rite now should be done in a month. just waiting on the componets

Glad you could join us.

Usually to get more power back there from the alternator/main battery to the battery bank. The more ground wires you use the least voltage drops you have which helps it stay stable during idle if not bumping hard. More experienced people will chime in.

well here are my thoughts!

multiple runs are more for burps, when u only have just the one batt under the hood, not any in the rear, so they can run like 14k off a little like kinetik 1400 for example.

for a multiple battery setup it is just a waste of money. but if you are going the spl road doulbe it up!

O and this is your FIRST post! (he is a virgin) so i must say

WELCOME to the Forums! this forum hosts some of the sharpest ppl in car audio today! welcome and enjoy your stay! lol ;) and ask any and all question you have AS long as you read the noob posting guild first! and do some reseach before just asking! and google is your friend!

More copper is equal to more space for the current to flow through. An example is the flow of water, the bigger the pipe, the more water can flow through easily.

In my opinion, it would be advantageous for you to do this. Sounds like you are off to a great start!

100_0304.jpg

That's one of my buddies rides.

Stock alt, stock batt i believe and a whole bank of battcap 2000s in the back of the truck bed in a tool box.

He's powering 2 Sundown 3000Ds off of a single 12" sub doin close to a 149 right now.

HERE IS THE REASON-

Multi runs of power is to ensure lowest possible voltage drop.

Multi runs of ground is to ensure that if the ground location being used on the rear batts isn't good enough, the parallel ground run from front to rear batts will compensate to ALSO ensure lowest possible voltage drop.

That pic above, as of right now, he's got ALL spots ran. 16 runs of 2/0 cable for power and ground.

One run of 0 awg will support 280 or so amps if you use the 700 circular mills per amp of current draw rule. The idea behind 2,3,4 runs is to lower the opposition to electron transfer lessen the volatge drop from the source (alt) to the amps, or to make the electrical system as efficient as possible.

so what would be a good amount of runs for power and ground for my system. also i have another 300amp alt should i run this one too (two 300amp alts dual) or just one 300amp alt.

It was my understanding from a physics standpoint, that the electrical power will travel the w/e the quickest way is. for example, if running a 8 foot 4 gauge wire from alty to batt, and running a 5 foot 0 gauge from alty to batt, the power would travel through the 0 gauge, therefore making that 8 foot of 4 gauge useless. My personal thought is that statement holds true, but when that cable can longer handle the current being drawn, that second cable would see current. remember, this is saying multiple cables from same source to same connection on other end.

I am actually a little interested in this, as it seems in reality multiple runs even from same source to same battery help, although a physicist would tell me different.

It was my understanding from a physics standpoint, that the electrical power will travel the w/e the quickest way is. for example, if running a 8 foot 4 gauge wire from alty to batt, and running a 5 foot 0 gauge from alty to batt, the power would travel through the 0 gauge, therefore making that 8 foot of 4 gauge useless. My personal thought is that statement holds true, but when that cable can longer handle the current being drawn, that second cable would see current. remember, this is saying multiple cables from same source to same connection on other end.

I am actually a little interested in this, as it seems in reality multiple runs even from same source to same battery help, although a physicist would tell me different.

put a clamp on each run

you will see current on all runs

it will be about the same each

if you have a higher resistance on one of your runs it will have less current than the rest but still carry current

not one run untill capacity then the next then the next ect........

100_0304.jpg

That's one of my buddies rides.

Stock alt, stock batt i believe and a whole bank of battcap 2000s in the back of the truck bed in a tool box.

He's powering 2 Sundown 3000Ds off of a single 12" sub doin close to a 149 right now.

HERE IS THE REASON-

Multi runs of power is to ensure lowest possible voltage drop.

Multi runs of ground is to ensure that if the ground location being used on the rear batts isn't good enough, the parallel ground run from front to rear batts will compensate to ALSO ensure lowest possible voltage drop.

That pic above, as of right now, he's got ALL spots ran. 16 runs of 2/0 cable for power and ground.

He actually doesnt have stock batt, he has Batcap 3000 under the hood and 2 Batcap 3000's in the bed in a custom built battery box. Is runnin stock alt for now however. I dont actually think he has all 16 runs hooked up right now, I think its just 8, 4 runs of each.

Weak sauce. I have 35ft of 8 gauge speaker wire. lol. Beat that Ben.

Interesting point! But also keep in mind that in a parallel circuit the current WILL DIVIDE UP based on the resistance! So each lead will show some value of current!

in a parellel circuit we know that it=i1+i2+i3....(current total= current 1 + current 2 + current 3+ etc... so in our case Current total = Run1+Run2+Run3!)

Physics proves this wrong completely. Current will not choose either wire. What you said goes against the most basic electrical equation, Ohms law. The current will be divided between whatever wires are running depending on their resistance. The higher resistance wire will get less current but current will run through it none the less. You can pump a ton of current through wires not rated for that amount of current, you just could run into melting or burning up wires if that amount of current is sustained for a period of time.

As for multiple runs of cable to a battery pack in the rear, it is just for maximum current to the batteries and the amps.

edit: Nvm previous post answered this. Shoulda read all the way down.

you are kind a right but more wrong! lol!

in a series setup current will take the path of least resistance (easiest way it can, like students we cut corners all the time) so if you have a line and you have resister and you attach another piece of wire from just before the resistor to past the end of the resistor you will get no current flow though the resistor, this is called making a short! but in parellel current adds! and in series current is constant! sorry if this is came out really vague lol!

Very good explaination. I could have worded my explaination better. Current in a parallel circuit will exist in all parallel resistors or wires, the amount just depends on the resistance of a component or wire length. And like stated in the previous post, the current in all parallel branches will add to the total current of a circuit

Your series analogy is dead on.

Good thing I'm not a teacher. :)