Sign in to follow this  
TheHammer

New 12"(SI D2) vs old 12"(SI Mag)

First off let me say that I love the look of the old SI Magnum especially the Claw basket.

The new SI D2 looks ok, but besides looks is there big differences in the models?

The new one looks to have less cone area (maybe more similar to a 10" cone and a huge surround.)

I'm sure there is a thread describing the newer driver, but how about a comparison?

Advantages?

Disadvantages?

General differences?

PS.. The 8"s never materialized .. any future plans for those, or 10"s??

The Hammer

First off let me say that I love the look of the old SI Magnum especially the Claw basket.

The new SI D2 looks ok, but besides looks is there big differences in the models?

The new one looks to have less cone area (maybe more similar to a 10" cone and a huge surround.)

I'm sure there is a thread describing the newer driver, but how about a comparison?

Advantages?

Disadvantages?

General differences?

PS.. The 8"s never materialized .. any future plans for those, or 10"s??

The Hammer

You can compare the old and new models on the website...there's a link for the older Mag's specs. Looks to be only a 0.002m^2 difference in the Sd of the drivers (the 12's anyways).

I'm pretty sure the old vs. the new has been covered already in another thread. If not, then it can be said the new mag is better than the old one in every way. :slayer:

it can be said the new mag is better than the old one in every way.  :slayer:

Well, I think that the statement above is too much of a blanket statement.

Very minor differences that may or maynot be noticed from the drivers seat doesn't make it "better in every way" to me.

Is the new one require 30% less power?

That's the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the reply, just lookng for a little more detail then a blanket marketing statement.

"New and Improved" doesn't sell me laundry detergent or subwoofers.

I'm thinking that the Magnum was a good design, so I'm wondering specifically what was changed to be improved in the design?

The Hammer (* now springtime fresh)

it can be said the new mag is better than the old one in every way.  :slayer:

Well, I think that the statement above is too much of a blanket statement.

Very minor differences that may or maynot be noticed from the drivers seat doesn't make it "better in every way" to me.

Is the new one require 30% less power?

That's the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the reply, just lookng for a little more detail then a blanket marketing statement.

"New and Improved" doesn't sell me laundry detergent or subwoofers.

I'm thinking that the Magnum was a good design, so I'm wondering specifically what was changed to be improved in the design?

The Hammer (* now springtime fresh)

i agree

You should list some valid reasons why its better.

- Motor tolerances are tighter (should help power handling)

- The glue joints are stronger

- The cone is stronger

- The surround is a higher quality material

- More low-end extension

Some of the basics right there... Nick may have some more for you.

In my listening with the new 15" driver I am certain that it sounds even better than the previous incarnation. And I was very impressed with the old 15" D2.

Just relaying what I was told...I haven't even been able to listen to the protos... :(

What Jake said. The motor is totally new, re-vamped, but does not necessarily take less power to get the same results. Power handling is the same and overall output at moderate levels is the same...except the low-end. The low-end of the new drivers is better along with maintaining the SQ associated with the previous versions.

And as Damian posted, the "huge" surround isn't really larger in the grand scheme of things compared to the last surround we used. Every single material is better than the previous versions. The web page illustrates it well I think. The cone is stronger, coil is taller (not by much), peak excursion has risen, Xmax will stay the same, the spiders are better, voice coil leads move power to the coil more efficiently and will last longer than the previous wound-in leads, and the glue joints are going to hold up really really well. The only thing that got "smaller" were the magnets, and that's because there was no need for a 3'rd slug or a different thickness/diameter of magnet to get the desired results. All of this is explained, or at least listed, on the 12" web page though.

12's and 15's are first priority...

Later on..possibly i'd say - but for the time being, no.

It didn't get louder to the ear straight swap in my install, but went deeper. Just throwin' in my .02.

The 15 was louder to the ear on my straight swap with the Proto and that was with a non 100% version.