SpeakerBoy

Building my first box.

I recently found my Visonik 12" woofer and i decided to build a box for it. I have ~$120 for supplies so nothing elaborate. My plan is a little under 4cuft (before displacement) tuned at ~26hz. I would like to use aero ports. The woofer is rated at 250rms, but handled 400rms from my RF200.2 like a champ. I have ~140wrms of clean power to play with, from my HT amp (Samsung HT in a box, very nice system for $220, on sale) I am switching it out for the current woofer, the 8" that is currently in the corner. My parents always turn the sub level way down when they watch movies (frustrating lol) So its mostly for my chopped and screwed music, that i can't fit on my iPod shuffle. I am using 3/4" mdf and the dimensions are 2'x2'x1' How many of what size aero ports do i need? I can't figure it out, and it takes too long to enter all the info on my Wii.

Does anyone know of where i could go to get these peices cut for me, in the event i cannot locate a tablesaw/router?

So far i know to pre-drill holes in the mdf. I will be gluing and screwing the pieces together, and then clamping the pieces while they dry.

I am buying full-thread drywall screws, liquid nails for wood, maybe some paint.

I also found my trim ring :)

I am getting excited, can't wait to hear it.

Use Titebond, Screw That Liquid Nails Crap. Sounds Good. Pics Of The Build Or Die.

Use Titebond, Screw That Liquid Nails Crap. Sounds Good. Pics Of The Build Or Die.

liquid nails is amazing stuff. why do you think contractors use it on your subfloor sheething? and to hold boards to concrete? weve used it on my buddies house and screwed up on one and it pulled like 1/4" of concrete up with the board. the problem is that most people dont allow ample time for it to dry. it takes at least 48 hours to FULLY dry. then its indestructable.

MDF to MDF will be STRONGER with wood glue. Liquid Nails is not effective for boxes.

If this is for in home use, why 26Hz?

MDF to MDF will be STRONGER with wood glue. Liquid Nails is not effective for boxes.

I listen to alot of chopped and screwed music.

Any particular brand you like?

Edited by DeepSubBoy

I have had no problems with liquid nails, so I guess its a preference thing or a subjective thing. I will use liquid nails as glue until somebody does a test or so showing how wood glue is better than liquid nails. Just my .02

I listen to alot of chopped and screwed music.

Any particular brand you like?

Titebond. Particualrly Titebond II, Just Like Everyone Else Will Tell You.

I've Seen People Use Liquid Nails And Tried It Myself Once Just To See If It Was As Good As People Say.

Sledgehammer To The Box Don't Lie, It Came Loose At The Joints, If You Use Wood Glue (Titebond), The Wood Itself Will Break Before The Joint Ever Will. Just Made Some Little 12"x12"x12" Cubes For The Test, Fun Little Experiment, Should've Videoed It.

I'm Not Saying It's Not Good For What It's Intented For, Just Not Really Effective In This Environment, As Sean Said.

Well see thats the type of information that I wanted to hear to make me switch over from liquid nails to wood glue. I go overkill also when it comes to boxes I use liquid nails as my sealent, is that going to far?

I've Seen That Done, That Should Be Fine, I Just Run A Bead Of Wood Glue Or If I Have It On Hand, Caulk. Of Course I Paint My Enclosures, I Hate Carpet For Some Reason. So, Lots Of Sanding.

Sledgehammer To The Box Don't Lie, It Came Loose At The Joints, If You Use Wood Glue (Titebond), The Wood Itself Will Break Before The Joint Ever Will. Just Made Some Little 12"x12"x12" Cubes For The Test, Fun Little Experiment, Should've Videoed It.

I'm Not Saying It's Not Good For What It's Intented For, Just Not Really Effective In This Environment, As Sean Said.

ill build two boxes just like you had stated above and let it dry for one week and do the test. i guarentee you that the wood will break before the liquid nails. the joints will not come apart at all. ive dropped a box i built back in high school from about 15 feet and it just dented a corner. never broke. hell ill even build 2 L shaped Bracket like things and see which one works better. and ill build it this week end. not just to prove a point. but to see for my self. oh and with liquid nails stay away from the small projects type. that would be considered the pl200 version. you need pl400 or better. thats the heavy duty liquid nails. pl800 is the best, thats what you glue concrete to concrete with! lol

which type of wood glue should i use for the tests? what about gorilla wood glue has any one used that stuff?

Please do the test so it can clarify alot of things for me to, they say Titebond is better glue than Guerilla Glue but I never used it so I wouldnt know.

Titebond II. I Let Them Both Cure For 3 Days.

I do know titebond II works very well but im biased since i have never worked with liquid nails but have heard nothing but good from either i think its more preference honestly

Your not going to hear much, that's way to low with not enough cone.

That's just my thought.

I use Titebond II, once set up your joint will not come apart. Plus I like the fact it cleans up easily and has no smell!

Wood glue.

2 Drills are helpful one to predrill holes and one to drive the screws in.

Measure 4 times cut once.

If using a table saw cut all your pieces that are to be the same length before moving the gate.

Don't rush take your time.

Where could i rent a tablesaw (menards, lowes, ace?) i tried home depot, but they only have a compound mitre saw.

I was wondering, can you stain mdf?

Where could i rent a tablesaw (menards, lowes, ace?) i tried home depot, but they only have a compound mitre saw.

Home depot does tool rentals. im not sure about the rest...

you could fiberglass then paint it. stain would look wierd IMO.

Home depot does tool rentals. im not sure about the rest...

you could fiberglass then paint it. stain would look wierd IMO.

Home depot down by the mall doesnt have a table saw. I forgot to ask about a router though. And i can check lowes down 59....and the home depot across the street, once i get some time.

Are Transmission line boxes hard to build? I'm not really looking to build one now, but i am curious as to how you would calculate the box size for a 12" t-line.

Edited by DeepSubBoy

Hard to build? No. But the design is far from trivial. Search a bit and ask more specific questions.

Hard to build? No. But the design is far from trivial. Search a bit and ask more specific questions.

Sorry, i was kinda vague. I'll read a bit before i ask next time.

I use Titebond II, once set up your joint will not come apart. Plus I like the fact it cleans up easily and has no smell!

i found somthing funny on the bottle of titebond II that might interest some people. it says right on it. not for structural or load bearing applications... i laughed hard. but i was unable to build the test boxes this past weekend. next weekend will be better hopfully.

EDIT: link to titebond II look in limitations.

Edited by Anton Miller

So i got the wood, my uncle has a router, just down the street. Before we cut out the piece for the port, what would a 2" piece of pvc put me at tuning wise? The box is 6"x9.5"x12" made from .5" mdf. I have two feet of pipe, so i can make two ports. My goal is around 30-34hz. Where would these lengths put me at:

8" = ?

10" = ?

12" = ?

18" = ?

Or just throw me a round port calc. WinISD gives me lengths like 300" or more, I can't figure out why.

Edited by DeepSubBoy

You DO NOT have a big enough box to bother to port, I thought you figured that out in your other thread. *at least not for sub-bass duty

Silicone shouldnt be no more than 1 tube IIRC (I ended up getting some clear silicone), but cant remember how much glue I used (no more than one bottle right since thats all I bought-Titebond II).

Cant wait to get this box started, havent built one since August of 2008, over a year ago.