porkchop

Three 12" Kicker CompVR's in a Chevy Caprice

My neighbor wanted a new box for his Caprice to house three 12" Kicker CompVR's.

The box he had was three seperate, one cube chambers, sealed.

After I built the box, I stumbled across what would be any audio guys nightmare.

I have never seen so many failed attempts to cut corners and rig a system, from front to back!!!

I spent the better part of two hours removing items, no joke.

I brought home 5 amps and two Kroger plastic shopping bags full of wire.

After everything was removed, I redone the trunk area.

I did not take too many pics, however, He will be bringing the car back next weekend and drop it off for me to finish upgradeing the wiring,

as well as a big three upgrade, installing a nw head unit, and attempt to make sense of the five different speaker brand and four sizes,

that supposedly form the mids and highs.....

it will include additional trash bags for sure!

okay small build log for the box.....

like i said, Three 12" Kicker CompVR's. (4 ohms)

5.75 cubes, 87 sq. in. of port, tuned to 34 hz.

currently they are wired series / paralled, 2.67 ohms

the amp is a P.O.S. American Legacy LA-2278 ( it is called a 4000 watt amp!!! )

He has a fairly decent pioneer head unit, (model # = ?)

Thanks to rattlebox317 for the garage space! The rain sucked.

Image-65.jpg

doing these larger boxes (8.5 cubes gross) by your self, sorta sucks.

Image-64.jpg

single baffle, however i did add four 6" internal braces, sorta forming a 45 on the face and attatched to the top or bottom.

Image-62.jpg

3/4" MDF , Tight bond glue, 1 5/8 coarse thread drywall screws (pre-drill) , and silicone caulk.

Image-61.jpg

1994 Chevy Caprice ( bubble- body )

with less than 150 watts per sub and no electrical upgrade what so ever,

it wobbles the rear deck and has a decent amount of trunk flex.

Image-60.jpg

I will post up more pics next week,

let me know what you guys thinnk of it,

thanks for your input.

Chop

I bet that kid is lovin that box! Nice job Chop. :santa: Lets get a vid of that sucker.

thanks, let me get the amp and wiring up to snuff, then i will get mike over here to take a vid.

might talk him into four 10's from the sundown re-build thread.

then maybe get him to snatch up some mids from Jay-Cee.

i am going to run about 24 feet of 0 gauge welding cable through there!

Nice work chop :drink40: I know that had to be a pain in the a** to build by yourself :trippy:

pretty nice

Good work on the box, but doing it all yourself? Get that guy to but a bit of work into his own system! lol. Great job! :fing34:

thanks, let me get the amp and wiring up to snuff, then i will get mike over here to take a vid.

That would be a great idea as I have some available for him. Are those speakers in the rear deck that I see, it looks like two different little speaker combos next to each other between the factory speakers?

[u]then maybe get him to snatch up some mids from Jay-Cee.

That would be a great idea as I have some available for him. Are those speakers in the rear deck that I see, it looks like two different little speaker combos next to each other between the factory speakers?

yeah it is, i have not even attempted to look at them yet, there are those, as well as a pair of 6" x 9" 's in the rear deck, and a pair in the rear seat, and two different front door speakers..... if i had to guess it will be a few more days yet, i am thinking the weekend.

Good lookin work there Chop. Can't wait to see your next project. :drink40:

thank you sir,

I hope to start it soon.

chop

I like the box, a lot.

How does your customer like it, going from sealed to ported?

thank you sir,

I hope to start it soon.

chop

Chop you know that trouble maker Joe? lol

yeah it is, i have not even attempted to look at them yet, there are those, as well as a pair of 6" x 9" 's in the rear deck, and a pair in the rear seat, and two different front door speakers..... if i had to guess it will be a few more days yet, i am thinking the weekend.

What do you mean by he has a pair in the rear seat, actually cut out the seat and placed some in there. If so somebody stole my idea, I did that about three years ago to my car and another car for kicks but wont do it again.

thank you sir,

I hope to start it soon.

chop

Chop you know that trouble maker Joe? lol

yup, sure do bro, lol.

small world, huh?

What do you mean by he has a pair in the rear seat, actually cut out the seat and placed some in there. If so somebody stole my idea, I did that about three years ago to my car and another car for kicks but wont do it again.

man i wish it was that pretty, or thought provoked, no it is just two open faced speakers laying in opposing corners of the rear seat, like Grandma does with them little square pillows on the couch!

I like the box, a lot.

How does your customer like it, going from sealed to ported?

He liked it alot, quite a bit more output.

currently, there is no sound at all though.

The Legacy amp is supposed to be 2 ohm stable, and the subs were wired at 2.67 ohms, the amp is no longer powering up.

no led is on , no protect or power led, no issues with the fuses, all solid wiring, it just died.

Now, is it that Legacy is a P.O.S. ?

or is it that it knew I was not going to tolerrate it's existence but another week tops, before i replaced it? so it lost the will to live, and died, quitely in that trunk !

regardless, I can only assume that going from what would be less than 150 watts per sub to a closer 400 watts per sub, will only offer much improvement.

I have been super busy with work and also my new design, we will have to catch him this weekend and see how things go.

chop

What's the new amp going to be?

What's the new amp going to be?

i am not truly sure....

i believe at first he was wanting a small upgrade, then told me to see how far 400 to 500 dollars would get him, then .......nothing!

have not heard back from him yet.

would like to have 1200 to 1500 watts at 2 ohm stable.... should be easy enough to accomplish, if he goes this route.

he has a 15" Kicker L7 also, so sometimes it is on his mind to use it instead.

stay tuned, lol.

chop

* any suggestion or good deals , let me know fellas???*

*any one with something for sale that fits the bill? i will let him know whats up.*

The Legacy amp is supposed to be 2 ohm stable, and the subs were wired at 2.67 ohms, the amp is no longer powering up.

no led is on , no protect or power led, no issues with the fuses, all solid wiring, it just died.

or is it that it knew I was not going to tolerrate it's existence but another week tops, before i replaced it? so it lost the will to live, and died, quitely in that trunk !

chop

No, that amp is a POS. Its flea market brand if Im not mistaken. Id like to think you crushed its will to live but Im afraid the heartbeat was faint from the start. :lol:

chop

No, that amp is a POS. Its flea market brand if Im not mistaken. Id like to think you crushed its will to live but Im afraid the heartbeat was faint from the start. :lol:

lol, it is a 4000 watt amp though, lmao @ it.

chop

lol, it is a 4000 watt amp though, lmao @ it.

Its funny how these insane max ratings are so high, then when you get down to business, the rms is really a joke. Whoever does the marketing for this stuff is going straight to hell!