this is one of the best post on the subject i have heard yet. you are absolutely right you can not use a dmm to test peak or rms power but can test polarity and if the signal is there. this is why a lot of noobs get confused in long dragged out post were people are being confusing fighting over a stupid point. any ways to guesstimate power of a amp in either bridge mode or at it lowest ohm load i use volt time amps times .707 to find rms just like on a o scope but is not the true way of doing it. it more Guesstimating power rating then any thing just to see if it is close.

Read the damn manual and expect 80%. No bs formula necessary.

Just asking, not trying to start anything, but if this is so why is there such hate for the Hifonics amps that does 80% of their sad total wattage?

Why is there so much hate for a 1990 Daewoo and not for a 1990 Honda? Now add the fact that amplifiers do NOT have any sort of standardized testing...and you think its funny there is hate for a budget brand that will cut any corner possible to meet a price point?? A better question would be why are you defending a compromise? To me I'd much rather have a used piece of real electronics versus a new complete compromise.

What do you think the difference between a $50 headunit and a $300 headunit is if you aren't using any of the processing nor amplification?

Do I need to go on?

so now everbody that buy's an amp, has to go out and get a DMM meter and an o-scope just to prove the amp puts out what on the box , or maybe the amp manufacture would just throw those instruments in the box with the amp. what else does the consumer have to judge amp A to amp B. i really wanna know!!! Because you can never get a straight answer. ( so what i can't spell)

Blame the industry for screwing itself. No standardized testing means that there are no published specs that are comparable. Really simple actually.

Of course buying a meter is stupid, as is caring what the actual power is. Minimal changes in power mean jack shit. Instead buy something that is made with good components and will do what you need it to do.

so now everbody that buy's an amp, has to go out and get a DMM meter and an o-scope just to prove the amp puts out what on the box , or maybe the amp manufacture would just throw those instruments in the box with the amp. what else does the consumer have to judge amp A to amp B. i really wanna know!!! Because you can never get a straight answer. ( so what i can't spell)

Blame the industry for screwing itself. No standardized testing means that there are no published specs that are comparable. Really simple actually.

Of course buying a meter is stupid, as is caring what the actual power is. Minimal changes in power mean jack shit. Instead buy something that is made with good components and will do what you need it to do.

Well said, it is some things you can buy cheap but if your gonna use it consistently and need to rely on it for daily abuse then go for greater quality. Just my .02

Just asking, not trying to start anything, but if this is so why is there such hate for the Hifonics amps that does 80% of their sad total wattage?

Why is there so much hate for a 1990 Daewoo and not for a 1990 Honda? Now add the fact that amplifiers do NOT have any sort of standardized testing...and you think its funny there is hate for a budget brand that will cut any corner possible to meet a price point?? A better question would be why are you defending a compromise? To me I'd much rather have a used piece of real electronics versus a new complete compromise.

What do you think the difference between a $50 headunit and a $300 headunit is if you aren't using any of the processing nor amplification?

Do I need to go on?

Where do you get i think its funny from? I dont think paying for an amp rate at 2000 watts and getting an amp that puts out 1700 watts is funny in no way. I want what I paid for. Ive never or will ever own a Hifonics amp and am not defending anything the company makes. You said expect 80%, then when am amp puts out that 80% then its a bad amp. Like i said earlier, am not trying to start anything, but if thats what you expect out of an amp dont call it shit when it does that 80%, simiply.

Do I need to go on?

Where do you get i think its funny from? I dont think paying for an amp rate at 2000 watts and getting an amp that puts out 1700 watts is funny in no way. I want what I paid for. Ive never or will ever own a Hifonics amp and am not defending anything the company makes. You said expect 80%, then when am amp puts out that 80% then its a bad amp. Like i said earlier, am not trying to start anything, but if thats what you expect out of an amp dont call it shit when it does that 80%, simiply.

funny - websters dictionary, definition 3: warranting suspicion; deceitful; underhanded: We thought there was something funny about those extra charges.

Your "asking" sounded like defending. I don't understand your premise of 80% being bad, but not calling it shit.

Cant you just find out where the amp clips with an osciloscope and then square the output voltage and divide by the resistance?

Cant you just find out where the amp clips with an osciloscope and then square the output voltage and divide by the resistance?

By resistance do you mean impedance? If so, how are you measuring the impedance at that frequency?

Outside of chasing tenths there is absolutely no need to measure power anyways. Just set your gains with the scope at a non-clipping point and play away. If you are trying to eek every last drop out of a setup, different story but for something that will never see a competition it is a joke as you ear really can't tell the difference.

Do I need to go on?

funny - websters dictionary, definition 3: warranting suspicion; deceitful; underhanded: We thought there was something funny about those extra charges.

Your "asking" sounded like defending. I don't understand your premise of 80% being bad, but not calling it shit.

I thought we were discussing amps not grammer here but if it makes you feel better and to end it, your right. lol

Do I need to go on?

I thought we were discussing amps not grammer here but if it makes you feel better and to end it, your right. lol

We weren't discussing grammar. You asked for clarification on the funny comment so I gave it. I don't even know what you think I am right about as I don't at all understand your question. You are contradicting yourself in the posts above.

He was saying that if Hifonics is bad for there amps being 80%, then why when you gave that example of 80% for other amps; why arent they in the same category as being bad like the Hifonics?

By resistance do you mean impedance? If so, how are you measuring the impedance at that frequency?

Outside of chasing tenths there is absolutely no need to measure power anyways. Just set your gains with the scope at a non-clipping point and play away. If you are trying to eek every last drop out of a setup, different story but for something that will never see a competition it is a joke as you ear really can't tell the difference.

I am saying just tune the amp without any output load on it. This will give you where the amplifier clips. Then you can square the output voltage and divide by the impedance of preference. Say you wanted what it puts out at 1 ohm, couldnt you just divide the squared output voltage by 1?

He was saying that if Hifonics is bad for there amps being 80%, then why when you gave that example of 80% for other amps; why arent they in the same category as being bad like the Hifonics?

x2

Edited by wof131s

I am saying just tune the amp without any output load on it. This will give you where the amplifier clips. Then you can square the output voltage and divide by the impedance of preference. Say you wanted what it puts out at 1 ohm, couldnt you just divide the squared output voltage by 1?

Sorry I should have been more clear. Nominal impedance and installed impedance aren't always so close so it would be a crude approximation, but more than good enough if you aren't chasing tenths.

x2

Huh? The Kenwood is bad.

x2

Huh? The Kenwood is bad.

Bahahhaah!

x2

Huh? The Kenwood is bad.

He didnt understand or read the whole topic to know that were talking about kenwood amps from the star (that the OP had) when you were given that 80% efficiency rule for the formula.

I have been wondering what OP stands for for the past week. WTF IS OP?!?!!?

I have been wondering what OP stands for for the past week. WTF IS OP?!?!!?

Original Poster. Haha, that is how I feel about IIRC (do not know what it is till this day).

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly.

Wow and it was something simple too :trippy: