CrazyKenKid

1/0 crimping tools

So i was looking on ebay for some 1/0 plus crimping tools and i ran into these 3!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290366545106&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300369545241&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250506888778&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

and i was wondering if anyone had ANY experience with any of those 3 device used to crimp there terminals to the wires.

i currently use a vise/hammer and chisel and i have been noticing my wires are stiff if that makes sense?

so anyways if you have used these tools in the past please give a quick review of what you liked and or didn't like and if you would recommend it to me!

I have used the bottom two

Both work great for what they are. ( and the hammer crimp can be had for cheaper on weldingsupply.com) The hammer crimp worked better with larger gauges like 3/0 4/0. but the Hydraulic one is much easier when trying to crimp in car/ or under hood.

Hope that helps.

i am leaning towards the hydraulic one myself, b/c it is a decent price and i ALWAYS have a air line present!

thanks! anyone else?

I used to make alot of 2/0 cables as a forklift tech and have used the top one, its kinda klumsy but always ended up soldering them. get a mini torch and solder. thats my suggestion.

mini torch..like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/900-227-Butane-Mini-Soldering-Torch-w-CPSC-Approval_W0QQitemZ350291940001QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518f06d2a1

and thanks!

also for the hydrolic crimper do they make a SOLID crimp? steve siad the first 2 are a bit clumpsy so i guess how solid the first 2 would be, woudl depend on my strenght?

if you can get a hydraulic crimped lug off of a wire, your a bad ass. ill take a pic tomorrow of how solid it make a crimp.

the last one i've seen used. when they were doing my stuff a while ago. its pretty sweet. seems like a great buy for 50$

That would work. Does not have to be anything expensive. A larger one would hold more fuel, but anything would work. Check out Harbor Freight if you have one.

I crimp one side at a time with my wire cutters to get a closer fit the heat then lug and let the solder run into it to fill it up.

That would work. Does not have to be anything expensive. A larger one would hold more fuel, but anything would work. Check out Harbor Freight if you have one.

I crimp one side at a time with my wire cutters to get a closer fit the heat then lug and let the solder run into it to fill it up.

i don't know the hand hydrolic pump sounds preetty solid! but how solid is the solder?

if you can get a hydraulic crimped lug off of a wire, your a bad ass. ill take a pic tomorrow of how solid it make a crimp.

thanks!! this i wnat to see!!

Yeah even home depot sells a torch that will work great. i had only used the top one. it has to open so wide to fit the lug in it, its just not comfortable to use. the hydro option is pretty nice but a torch is only $20 at depot or lowes and having solder penetrate up your wires and hold the lug on ensures the best possible connection.

so maybe using both the hydrolic and the soldering tool would be ideal then!

You might want ask the sellers if it will work with car audio wire. the first one in your line up says in the listing wont work for audio. i have never had soldered wire lug come loose. i have had crimped wires come loose, but never used a hydrolic press. its kind of a toss up. i perfer a solid soldered lug.

by the first one you mean this one right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290366545106&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

which says

This Handheld Wire Crimping Tool is a must for any Professional Car Audio Installer or serious Autosound Enthusiast

it also says this is for standard and not oversized wire..umm interesting to note! thanks, i wll make sure i read up on it more before i make a buy!

but really thanks a lot for your input it has been a great help so far! you rock! thanks again!

This is the best way for sure. . .

Soldering is always the best idea. Some like to crimp slightly, just enough to hold the terminal in place. Then solder it also. A small torch and the small roll of solder is plenty for the big 3 a couple of times over. You can find this at the depot for less than $10.

I dont crimp at all anymore, personally. After getting the hang of working with the solder, I dont want to use anything else. Just heat the terminal and shove the solder in until it starts to overflow.

Iget a mini torch and solder. thats my suggestion.

X2.. This has always worked better than anything for me. Not the prettiest but it gets the job done for sure.

so you are saying heat up the lug and then put the solder in it! i think i will be doing this on the next instal! thanks for the advice!!

Just did it and works pretty good.

Edited by wof131s