M1K3

SSD stopped working

Hey everybody,

I have two 12" Fi SSD Dual 1-ohm subs(copper coil option only) in a ported enclosure being pushed by a Hifonics Bxi-2608D. Last week, one of the subs completely stopped working. No noise at all. :(

I took both of the subwoofers out and tried swapping them to the other sides. Still, the same subwoofer doesn't work when wired to the other subs wiring. So that tells me that it's a problem with the sub itself, not the amp.

When I push in on the sub, there is no grinding or anything of the sort. It's identical to the working subwoofer. Everything looks fine physically. So I tried hooking it up to a multimeter. One of the voice coils reads 1.1ohms, the other gives me nothing. On the working sub, both give me 1.1.

I also tried the AA battery test. One coil gives me a pop, the other doesn't.

I'm guessing one of my voice coils is blown. What do you all think?

And if one of them is blown, what do I do? Do I HAVE to send it to Fi, or could I take it to my local car audio shop(they actually know their stuff, unlike some places haha).

Thanks so much. Any help is appreciated.

Your lucky, it was thermal failure not mechanical, if it were mechanical you'd have to send it to Fi. Contact Fi about a recone but get the flatwound coil this time, 2,600 watts is too much for two SSD's, they are rated for 1,600 watts combined. Do the recone yourself it is not difficult.

Thanks for the quick reply Duran.

On the Fi website, they have an SSD recone kit available for $65. I can just order one of those then and get the flatwind coil? This is probably a dumb question, but if I were to change my other sub to a flatwind coil as well, would I have to order two since there are two voice coils? :noob:

Thanks for the quick reply Duran.

On the Fi website, they have an SSD recone kit available for $65. I can just order one of those then and get the flatwind coil? This is probably a dumb question, but if I were to change my other sub to a flatwind coil as well, would I have to order two since there are two voice coils? :noob:

You are correct, to change both subwoofers you need two recone kits. The flatwound coil will help thermally, more than the copper coil did.

Just FYI: You don't have to order two recone kits, you could upgrade the working one later if needed. But over time it will fail just like the other one.

Okay...so one recone kit covers both voice coils in the sub?

And having one sub with a copper coil and one with a flatwind coil won't sound weird? Like having two different subs? Haha.

Thanks again, you're a huge help.

And having one sub with a copper coil and one with a flatwind coil won't sound weird? Like having two different subs? Haha.

With dual voice coil subwoofers one VC is wound on top of the other, so when you buy a recone, it is technically two voice coils.

There is a chance you will notice a change in sound between the copper coil and flatwound aluminum coil, if you notice a sound and don't like, or the copper coil ends up failing, you can order another recone.

With dual voice coil subwoofers one VC is wound on top of the other, so when you buy a recone, it is technically two voice coils.

There is a chance you will notice a change in sound between the copper coil and flatwound aluminum coil, if you notice a sound and don't like, or the copper coil ends up failing, you can order another recone.

Awesome, thanks a ton. In the end this will probably prove to be a good thing since the flatwound coil will help me be able to peak a bit more. Am I right in assuming my decibel score will go up a little with both subwoofers reconed with the flatwound? Got my 2nd competition on January 16th...won my first one in my division with a 142.5db :woot:

Awesome, thanks a ton. In the end this will probably prove to be a good thing since the flatwound coil will help me be able to peak a bit more. Am I right in assuming my decibel score will go up a little with both subwoofers reconed with the flatwound? Got my 2nd competition on January 16th...won my first one in my division with a 142.5db :woot:

Right, the copper coil is meant for flat response, the flatwound coil will peak more.

That's a nice score, good luck at your next competition.

what division and for meca, I assume? I am in meca and i have 10" ssds. :D

curious too because according to the stats, nobody has posted a 142.5db the whole 2010 year.

curious too because according to the stats, nobody has posted a 142.5db the whole 2010 year.

Not all competitions are sanctioned guys ;)

I won my first competition and it wasn't a MECA or IASCA competition, just a local thing.

Yup it was a Meca competition.

You mean 2009? Haha. It might have been a 142.3. It was on Sunday, September 20th. I forget which division it was. It was the Tennessee state finals in White House, TN I believe.

did you play music or test tone? and what fusing did you have to run?

did you play music or test tone? and what fusing did you have to run?

Test tone. 35Hz. I tuned my system low since I didn't plan on competing and it sounds sick tuned nice and low :slayer:

I ran a 150 amp fuse.

The car could be on, too. For the amateur street classes, you have to have the car off and play music. Street class(what I competed in) and above, you can do test tone and car on.

Edited by M1K3

Not all competitions are sanctioned guys ;)

I won my first competition and it wasn't a MECA or IASCA competition, just a local thing.

I can usually tell what comp it is just on the date, that's how i knew it was MECA :)

Hate to break it to you but that flatwound coil will NOT fit in a copper coil gap. It will sit on the top plate...

I hope you didn't order it already..

Hate to break it to you but that flatwound coil will NOT fit in a copper coil gap. It will sit on the top plate...

Ahh for real? That sucks. Thanks for saving me a bunch of money, I was about to order it. :thanx:

No problem. Pick up a regular copper coil recone and don't abuse them :) They are only little subs and you have a TON of power for them...

Subsonic filters are very very key in this as well as gain settings.

I'm sorry Nick, and OP, I didn't realize they were different, if one was larger I figured the copper would be not the flatwound coil. Oh well :shrug:

No problem. Pick up a regular copper coil recone and don't abuse them :) They are only little subs and you have a TON of power for them...

Subsonic filters are very very key in this as well as gain settings.

With my stock alternator/battery, I'm definitely not getting nearly the full 2600 watts. But I do need to take better care of my babies.

I'm ordering the recone now...but I don't see chrome blue as a dustcap option, which is what I have now. Is that not available for recone kits? I can e-mail you about it if that's what you would prefer, by the way.

Also, what is the basket option for?

Edited by M1K3

I'd Also Like To Know About The Basket Option, Is It A Send In Option With Basket-Off-Motor Or A Fully Assembled Soft Part Assembly With/In Basket?

how do they sound on that amp?

Amazing! They knock really hard. And they actually sound nice. I tuned my box pretty low so rap sounds the best. But I love the setup.