Sign in to follow this  
joshtazz

popping noise

ok so ive had my sub for less than a month and today i heard strange pop. so i went to take a look and it just sound like a screw was loose.

so i took the sub out and it wasn't that. Then i played the sub out of the box and when i turned the volume to about 30/62 it started making the same noise.

it sounds like its coming from the center of the sub.

so my question is what could it be.

ill check tom. also it only does it on low notes and when up medium high. best way to describe the sound is like the middle part of the sub(where the fi logo is) is beating the inner part of the sub.

oh yeah that sounds like tinsel lead slap, does it do it when its played free aired?

how far is the cone moving?

did you check the glue joints while it was out of the box ?

where is subsonic filter set?

it seems to be moving the same

ill take a pic

set around 40

oh yeah that sounds like tinsel lead slap, does it do it when its played free aired?

yes it does i still have it out f the box and have not been playing it

ok so i just went out and looked at it and i thought it might be the tinsel slapping and i got my dad to look at it and he pointed it out right when he saw it.

so im pretty sure its the tinsel slapping.

so what do i do. thanks for the replys

What size is your box? and what is it tuned to?

Tell us more about the pop. . .loud clanking sound, soft tick sound?

i have run BTL's and Mayhem's for the last three years and never heard the tinsels slap. I have heard the coil hit the pole with 4000+ watts smile.gif

How old is the sub? Just curious, since it does not sound liek it has integrated leads.

I do not see the answer to how far the cone is moving. 1", 2", 3"?

While it is out of the box, move the cone up and down by hand. Do the glue joints all look ok where the cone meets the voice coil? Do they look ok around the spider landing?

What box is this sub in (cuft, tuning)? You have the subsonic set to 40 Hz?? edit - now I see why above.

Tell us more about the pop. . .loud clanking sound, soft tick sound?

i have run BTL's and Mayhem's for the last three years and never heard the tinsels slap. I have heard the coil hit the pole with 4000+ watts smile.gif

How old is the sub? Just curious, since it does not sound liek it has integrated leads.

I do not see the answer to how far the cone is moving. 1", 2", 3"?

While it is out of the box, move the cone up and down by hand. Do the glue joints all look ok where the cone meets the voice coil? Do they look ok around the spider landing?

What box is this sub in (cuft, tuning)? You have the subsonic set to 40 Hz?? edit - now I see why above.

i really dont know how old it is i bought it used and just had it reconed a month ago. sounds like when u put ur fingure on the sub as it plays

sub1.jpg

sub2.jpg

Edited by joshfi

I dont think it is tinsel lead slapping, from the looks of it they look to be tied down or something. Why is your box tuned so high, that is the question?

I dont think it is tinsel lead slapping, from the looks of it they look to be tied down or something. Why is your box tuned so high, that is the question?

its an old box i had from my last sub and it was tuned high for it. havent got around to ordering a new one.

video th_DSCF0706.jpg

Edited by joshfi

Who reconed the subwoofer? When you get it fixed I wouldnt even use it till I got the enclosure that is recommended to be used for the subwoofer, just my .02.

fi did and i know but it seemed like it would be ok

That looks like some very high tuning for a BTL and is not recommended. What amp was on this sub, what are the settings on your amp at?

am is sundown audio 1500d preamp was set with dmm sub is 40 hertz

What is the low pass set at? Did you have bass boost on your headunit or amp on? Did you use the loudness feature on your radio?

What is the low pass set at? Did you have bass boost on your headunit or amp on? Did you use the loudness feature on your radio?

low pass is set to 80 on hd and around thier on amp. and no i never used the bass boost or loudness because of what the box said when i got the sub :)

low pass is set to 80 on hd and around thier on amp. and no i never used the bass boost or loudness because of what the box said when i got the sub :)

That is good that you never used it, what did the box say (your box can talk to you)?

no the one it was shipped in it came with a list of tips that the gain is not a voulume knob and that loudness and bass boost screws with the sub.

Edited by joshfi

Sign in to follow this