jdcountryboy91

Fi Q questions

So from what I've read the Fi Q is a good SQ subwoofer. it is also in my power and price range. I was looking at the specs on the different sizes avalible and they all have the same RMS. What would be the advantage of getting a smaller or bigger Q? I will be powering it with a kicker zx750.1 which is a little underrated. I plan on putting it in a sealed enclosure for SQ unless yaw would recommend otherwise. It is going in a Chevrolet Tahoe. I listen to mainly rock and country music with a little rap here and there. i used to have a 15" Kicker L5 that died on me. It had very LOUD but very muddy bass. It didn't have much clarity at all.

thanks in advance!

So from what I've read the Fi Q is a good SQ subwoofer. it is also in my power and price range. I was looking at the specs on the different sizes avalible and they all have the same RMS. What would be the advantage of getting a smaller or bigger Q? I will be powering it with a kicker zx750.1 which is a little underrated. I plan on putting it in a sealed enclosure for SQ unless yaw would recommend otherwise. It is going in a Chevrolet Tahoe. I listen to mainly rock and country music with a little rap here and there. i used to have a 15" Kicker L5 that died on me. It had very LOUD but very muddy bass. It didn't have much clarity at all.

thanks in advance!

I would say the Q is a perfect match for you, that amp will be fine for it

What size would you recommend? What would be the advantage of either size since they all have the rame power rating?

What size would you recommend? What would be the advantage of either size since they all have the rame power rating?

Lets start with what are the max dimensions of your trunk?

Lets start with what are the max dimensions of your trunk?

well its a 2001 chevy tahoe. I can handle any size as far as trunk room goes. I would say its probably about 4ft by 4ft. I wasn't sure if there would be any difference in sound between the different sizes.

If you build the box to Fi's recommendations, the bigger you go, the louder it will be.

If you build the box to Fi's recommendations, the bigger you go, the louder it will be.

that's kind of what I thought since the bigger cone is going to move more air. I probably wouldn't go any bigger than the 15" just so I could have room to haul stuff if I needed to.

One 15 would be nice.. they are about to come out with the new Qs tho, if you haven't notice..

Power ratings are based on the coil and cooling of the subwoofer, not cone size.

One 15 would be nice.. they are about to come out with the new Qs tho, if you haven't notice..

yeah I noticed that on their site. Is that why they re so cheap or is that the normal price? $264 for the 15"

yeah I noticed that on their site. Is that why they re so cheap or is that the normal price? $264 for the 15"

Remember this isn't mainstream garbage ;)

what is the difference in the Q and the BL? They both have the same power ratings. I did notice that the BL is available in both an SPL and daily version.

what is the difference in the Q and the BL? They both have the same power ratings. I did notice that the BL is available in both an SPL and daily version.

The BL is more of a ground pounder sub and will be louder than the q in the right enclosure. The Q is more on the Sound quality side. All of Fi products are top notch

the bl is more get loud no matter what, while the q just sounds good and still can get loud.

The Q is recommended for sound quality setups ONLY.

The Q is an excellent choice.

Recap: So with my amp (kicker ZX750.1), It is sounding like the 15" BL would be a good sounding, loud sub. Would you guys go sealed or ported. I have always put my kickers in a sealed box for size restrictions and they tend to be a little punchier from what I've read. Fi says the BL will work well in either.

Recap: So with my amp (kicker ZX750.1), It is sounding like the 15" BL would be a good sounding, loud sub. Would you guys go sealed or ported. I have always put my kickers in a sealed box for size restrictions and they tend to be a little punchier from what I've read. Fi says the BL will work well in either.

Actually FI says a BL or BTL wont work in a sealed enclosure, so ported will be your best bet unless you meant the FI SSD.

Actually FI says a BL or BTL wont work in a sealed enclosure, so ported will be your best bet unless you meant the FI SSD.

oh ok. I was mistaken. I've been looking at a lot of subs here lately. I would prefer a sealed box just because of the size factor with a 15" sub. It looks like the Q is my best option then.

Edited by jdcountryboy91

I was under the impression a larger sub would hit louder and lower than the same sub with a smaller cone area so I was going by the biggest woofer I could fit and not the type of box it was in. This is my deciding question: Which is going to give me the best sounding bass with the most low end? a ported 10" or 12" or a sealed 15"??

Yeah usually that is the case but when you throw sealed vs. ported in the equation it changes some things up.

I would say a 12" ported over a 15" sealed. . .

t/s parameters of the sub and the box design determine how low the sub will play, not the size of the cone. . .

Yeah usually that is the case but when you throw sealed vs. ported in the equation it changes some things up.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have always heard that if you want a tight focused bass (SQ), go sealed. If you just want loud, boomy, undefined bass (SPL) go ported. Correct or no?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have always heard that if you want a tight focused bass (SQ), go sealed. If you just want loud, boomy, undefined bass (SPL) go ported. Correct or no?

Yeah and no, but you keep saying you want a 15" if it is going to hit louder. Not trying to bash you but I dont think you want SQ or you dont have a good definition of it. A ported box is not all about SPL, built correctly and tuned right will give you a great sounding enclosure that has the ability to get loud.