Sign in to follow this  
shakes

Properly Powering Your Stereo

Hi, I'm sort of new to this, I searched the topic but didn't find what I was looking for so please be patient.

I've been away from car audio for 7 or so years, a lot has changed and I would like to learn. I'm in the infancy of planning my stereo, I'm planning on running ~1500-2000watts RMS, the vehicle in question is a 1994 3/4 ton Suburban with a 454, 105 amp (I believe) alternator.

I definitely plan to upgrade the battery and my ground and use 0 gauge wiring, what exactly do I look for in a battery and at my power levels would it be wise to run a second battery? Furthermore, how exactly does one wire a second battery?

Should I upgrade my alternator as well? Or if it was between one or the other what would you do?

Sorry if these questions sound stupid but I have to ask and know instead of possibly making a costly mistake.

hey man here is how you wire a secondary battery in also it shows the big 3 mod! and if you need some more help just drop me a p/m i can help you with anything!!! seriouly just drop me a p/m i can help you with anything and you cna ask dumb questions to lol!! i like to help first timeers lol!! (old timers)

Untitled-7.jpg

Hey thanks for the diagram, thats exactly how I pictured it in my head but I just didn't know for sure as I've never seen it done.

Also make sure you either install a digital volt meter or turn on all lights and accessories with system at full tilt and check your voltage at the amp and batt to make sure its not dropping to low which can damage your amp and charging system. What kind of set up do you plan on running just out of curiosity.

Also make sure you either install a digital volt meter or turn on all lights and accessories with system at full tilt and check your voltage at the amp and batt to make sure its not dropping to low which can damage your amp and charging system. What kind of set up do you plan on running just out of curiosity.

Not set in stone yet, but I'm planning on 4 Sundown SA-8's powered by an MB Quart DSC-2000.1, or a similarly powered Hifonics. I'm still undecided on a head unit, speakers and 4 channel amp at the moment, just reading and learning before I make a final decision although I'm pretty much sold on the SA-8's, everything else is still up in the air. I'll definitely be running a volt meter. Luckily for me I have a few months still because I'm not about to stand out in my driveway doing all this work when it's 5 degrees outside.

If I search my garage long enough I can probably find enough wiring to throw my old school Shocker II in the truck for the time being, I just have to stop being so lazy.

Edited by shakes