Sign in to follow this  
CrownVic

Car audio career

Well its my senior year of highschool and i've been trying to figure out what to do with my life. I don't really have ideas but i was thinking about something to do with car audio. I enjoy tinkering with my system alot and think it would make a fun career. My question for ya'll would be does any body here besides the SSA owners do this as a career? Do you have any advice for me or guidance. I wanna eventually have a store that sells quality products very similar to the SSA store. Is there a school for this? Would there be a field i would need a degree in? Thanks for the help.

EDIT: If any body is in the field if you don't mind me asking, what kind of salary should i expect to see?

Edited by CrownVic

Salary typically depends on your experience. I installed for a few years, you gain a lot of experience but the market isn't great in most places.

It's one of those things where you have to be careful about putting all your eggs in one basket. I'd recommend going to school for something like electronics, or something at a technical school. Get a degree that you can always fall back on.

Well I know around here there are alot of caraudio shops but they all sell crappy stuff and have no idea what a tuning frequency is. Theres not comps around here though. Plenty of people wanting big bass though.

most people just do car audio on the side just because the money isnt there for it. There are schools out there, just dont know any. a buddy of mine went to school for audio and when he came out he couldnt find a job anywhere, just ended up working construction and doing installs on the side. Just keep it as a hobby, as soon as you turn a hobby into a career it will get boring. Like i love to build things, but construction was not a job i liked, i liked doing my own stuff, but things for other people just wasnt for me.

most people just do car audio on the side just because the money isnt there for it...Just keep it as a hobby, as soon as you turn a hobby into a career it will get boring.

That's the reason I worked another job when I was installing. When you start thinking of your hobby as "work" you soon find out that you hate working.

I see your point well i was thinking i could maybe get a job at the install bay at bestbuy while in school still.

Im still brainstorming. I plan on going to college to get a degree in something but I was just hoping to maybe get a job in something im interested. But yes i do plan on having a fall back plan like a business degree or something.

To duran: how was installing? Was there not enough business for it to be profitable or did you just tire of it?

Word of warning; Turning your hobby into your career can make the hobby side much less fun since it becomes "work". Doesn't happen to everyone, but happens a lot. I prefer to keep my hobbies just that, a hobby, for exactly that reason.

Don't expect to open a shop selling a bunch of brands that are unknown in your area and make a killing because you think those brands are great. Consumers typically buy what they know about, or don't buy what they've never heard of before.

Lastly....it's a really tough field to make a living at. IMO start out small as a part time thing and see how it goes.

As far as degrees; I would agree with the previous poster that it's probably a better idea to go to school in a field that is multi-purpose. Business, electrical or mechanical engineering, etc. IMO those "car audio" schools are a waste of money for what they teach and the price they charge.

Ok Thanks. Just out of curiosity do you happen to know the names of any of the CA schools?

I have the same goals you do and i went to school for product design and engineering technologies and plan to continue and get a mechanical engineering degree some time. in a while i plan on opening up an audio shop, well mainly an install shop, seeing as i realize that not many people want to buy car audio goods from a car audio shop (too expensive). start out in your garage in your spare time and maybe grow to something bigger as you get your name out there (also what im currently trying to do ;)).

I know there is a school in Canada somewhere and one in Arizona IIRC, IDK the names tho, the best school is experience, apply for the job at best buy and see where it goes. I got denied an installing job at best buy because i didn't have any certifications or anything like that, they didn't even bother to call they just sent an email (damn paperless way of applying there, they don't even see your face before saying yes or no to an interview).

I see your point well i was thinking i could maybe get a job at the install bay at bestbuy while in school still.

Im still brainstorming. I plan on going to college to get a degree in something but I was just hoping to maybe get a job in something im interested. But yes i do plan on having a fall back plan like a business degree or something.

To duran: how was installing? Was there not enough business for it to be profitable or did you just tire of it?

I loved it, I did what I enjoy and made some money doing it. It's hard to work so hard on other peoples stuff, doing custom fabrication and such, then have them come back a few days later saying "I turned up the gain knob cause it made my bass louder, played half a song, and the bass went away." :(

I work for Best Buy I am at there advacned level and I make around 17 an hr. Right now if your not working for a company like this it is kinda hard to find a car audio job that can be a real career . I am working on my master certification now . But honestly I am also trying ot become a manager for Best Buy and do the car audio as my hobby. There arent really many people that can say they retired from being a full time installer.

Since you want to run a store, I'd concentrate on Business and/or entrepreneurial management. Get an SA or SSA in that type of field. It's good schooling to have and if you were to go to Best Buy and try to manage the car audio dept. that would look a lot better than a electronics (or the like) degree.

I have a friend thats a corporate car audio schlub at best buy, he makes a good living, but he spent a lot of years in the store selling/managing/installing.

i have seen some do well and some sink.... it has alot of factors in it.

location? market> are two important ones off the top, how much income would you need to justify the effort?

I like the idea of starting off small, see how it goes, hell, perhaps even rent out a garage with a install bay for a 6 month lease?

not being a smart ass, but google search for schools in your area.

there are some schools out there and it looks like they would be cool as hell to attend.

I like the idea of getting some degrees that have many avenues also.

also keep in mind, you might have a unique approach that might take your ass right to the top.

look at that cat that runs unique auto sports, will castro, hell he started out detailing cars, how many shops are out there that does that?

what was the true expectations of that shop opening up, millions, i bet not, it was all his approach.

and if your ass does well, remember ol' chop encouraged you! lol.

chop

I loved it, I did what I enjoy and made some money doing it. It's hard to work so hard on other peoples stuff, doing custom fabrication and such, then have them come back a few days later saying "I turned up the gain knob cause it made my bass louder, played half a song, and the bass went away." :(

That reminds me of a story, when I worked at Best Buy, I got into an argument with some kid because he was looking at some mono amp and kept asking me how many watts it made in 2 ohm stereo, he ended up going to the manager to complain that I didn't know anything about car audio, manager tried to explain it to him, in the end he was pissed, said we were stupid and we lost the sale. Ignorance is a big part of any work, but when it's something you enjoy and have a passion for it can get a little personal and demoralize you thoughts on what you do.

That's pretty well dramatized but you get the idea.

Well i was going to apply to the install bay but it requires MECP certification and 6 months in field experience. I have neither of these. Should i just go try to get on part time at a local shop? How do i get MECP certified?

Well i was going to apply to the install bay but it requires MECP certification and 6 months in field experience. I have neither of these. Should i just go try to get on part time at a local shop? How do i get MECP certified?

X2

I am going to be honest most of the installers that work for best buy arent mecp certified even though they say its a requirement for being hired. It really depends on where you apply. I was lucky I worke at a shop for a few years until it closed and then I just kinda bounced around with a few jobs. But if you get hired they have the study guides for all the mecp test for you to study for it. But experience is always the best thing. I have a guy that i am training havve been for the past year and a half and heis coming along pretty good if you can fin someone to mentor you that will help with your experience.

Are you talking about Best Buy?

Get a job anywhere in the store, with the turnover rate and the dynamic structure of the business if you let the right people know your intentions you could be in car audio and eventually installing.

and whatever you do dont go to car audio school i learned that lesson on my own. you dont learn enough to justify the money you spend. is it fun yes lots of fun but you wont learn more than you would lurking around this forum and some others thats for sure.

I looked into the MECP certification. It seems like you just read the studyguide then go take a test and pay fee?

Is there a class to take or just study then take test?

mecp

read a little bit and i can go to my community college that i graduated from and take the basic test, like 85 bucks, no prerequisites!

perhaps this will help you out some.

chop

I looked into the MECP certification. It seems like you just read the studyguide then go take a test and pay fee?

Is there a class to take or just study then take test?

ha, you beat me to it, lol....