ngsm13

Adjusting FREQ/SLOPE for active setup...INPUT?

As title states,

Equipment:

-Alpine 9835 in 3-way mode, HP for Tweets, BP for Mids, LP for Subwoofer. 6/12/18/24 dB/oct slopes at various FREQ's.

- RE XXX 6.5's currently in .25-.3 cubes SEALED door pods. (2ohm)

-Vifa 1" Neodymium Textile Dome autosound Tweeters. (6ohm)

-Kicker KX 600.4, 150x2rms for mids @2ohms, ~45-50 x2rms for Tweeters.

I haven't even turned it on yet, but currently I have it setup as follows:

Sub: LP @63hz 24dB/oct

Mids: HP @63hz 24dB/oct, LP @2.5Khz 24dB/oct

Tweets: HP @2.5Khz 24dB/oct

I would like input as far as the FREQ/SLOPES go, ESPECIALLY the slopes. Is it ALWAYS good to go with steep slopes for ALL settings? Is it better to use say, 12,18 dB/oct slopes for one component or the other?

Please, give me some input. I'm going to head out right now...fire it up...and take a listen! Thank you

-Noah

You're just going to have to play with it. Best advice I can give. Sometimes the less slope, the better the blend. A lot of variables will come into play, like FR, power, sensitivity, reflections, driver placement. . . . Whatever sounds best to you.

You're just going to have to play with it.  Whatever sounds best to you.

:D

Well, fired it up and it sounds great. Now I just have to perfect it ;)!!!

NG

well you don't wanna crossover the sub at 63 and the mids at 63...you want the point were the two drivers frequencies ranges cross to be -3db. basically the same principle as subs. 2 drivers playing the same freq adds 3db. so where the 2 meet shoud be 3db down...which in the end will be level....for example...yours on top, example on bottom...

slope3id.jpg

well you don't wanna crossover the sub at 63 and the mids at 63...you want the point were the two drivers frequencies ranges cross to be -3db. basically the same principle as subs. 2 drivers playing the same freq adds 3db. so where the 2 meet shoud be 3db down...which in the end will be level....for example...yours on top, example on bottom...

slope3id.jpg

Only in theory. Man times I have actually had drivers overlap for best results. That's where the ear comes in with the slopes.

x2 to everything Tirefryr has said. Underlaps/overlaps/points/slopes/etc is all dependant upon the speakers/install/vehicle/etc.

I personally am a fan of steeper slopes and use them as much as possible/applicable. But sometimes shallower slopes are necessary.

If you have access to an RTA, it can come in handy here for setting appropriate points/slopes. But it all comes down to what sounds good.

Damn...

Well I'm gonna have to find some1 with an RTA around here.

BUT, bad news...for ABSOLUTELY NO REASON my Kicker went up in smoke. Really...no reason. I double checked all connections b4 i fired it up, then after it happened, I checked over connections again. Anyways, the white smoke came POURING out big time. Popped open the case, and 5 MOSFETS are not just fried...they are CHARRED and flaking off hardcore. So, I don't know what the deal is :(

NG

That sucks!

slope3id.jpg

Only in theory. Man times I have actually had drivers overlap for best results. That's where the ear comes in with the slopes.

Crossover points in my system (Premier P9 and DLS 6.3) are all overlapping, and my slopes are all very steep (18dB or greater). I still have to spend some more time tuning, (I need an RTA) and finally got around to sealing off those doorpods, they sound pretty tasty now. ;)

I am curious, not to thread hijack, but what is an RTA?

Real Time Analyzer

lets you see the levels of all the frequencies across the spectrum

noah you just suck at instaltions... you probably hooked the Rm in the ground and the (-) in the Rem but got the (+) right then took a dump in your fuse terminals because you didnt have the right amperage lying around then thought it would be fun tojust conect one of the speaker wires to the spekaer and the other to the (-).... ;)

MOSEFT > joooo!!!!

Noah=owned37.jpg

:fing34: