60ndown

rl-p infinite baffle works good

6the35.jpg

6the8p.jpg

6theee.jpg

6thegn.jpg

first impressions of the sound are sumptuous! :wub:

will post more as i get more listening time with it!

:slayer:

whoa, thats an interesting way to do it

badass looking though

I was planning on either hanging the Rl-p or a pair of IDMax's off my rear deck sooner or later :D

Definitely interested to hear what you think about it as you get more listening time in!

Thats really cool.

Pack the trunk with stuff and let us know how much the sound changes!

MORE INFO DAAAMMMMMN YOU!!!!

You can't just do something like this and say "hey look RL-p infinite baffle". We need your opinions, thoughts, in-depth anaylasis, comments on performance at both low and high levels. SQ, how well it blends with the rest of your system. Descriptions of your trunk, how well is it sealed off.

Daammnn you, that's like saying "You should see my killer install" and then don't post pics. Don't you realize we are a bunch of obsessive compulsives audio fanatics. Thats like cutting up steaks all day to feed to the wolves but then your forget the steaks and go visit the wolves all bloody and meaty smelling......

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simma down now !

It looks so out of place, yet so cool

You can't just do something like this and say "hey look RL-p infinite baffle". We need your opinions, thoughts, in-depth anaylasis, comments on performance at both low and high levels. SQ, how well it blends with the rest of your system. Descriptions of your trunk, how well is it sealed off.

Daammnn you, that's like saying "You should see my killer install" and then don't post pics. Don't you realize we are a bunch of obsessive compulsives audio fanatics. Thats like cutting up steaks all day to feed to the wolves but then your forget the steaks and go visit the wolves all bloody and meaty smelling......

thats a good image i will never forget,

going to see the wolves smelling of blood and meat, but nothing for them! ( a good way to get your ass eaten....eeerrr i mean :huh: )

psycho you should write a book!

i did give an idea of how it sounded after a mere 20 minute drive--"sumptuous" :wub:

now ive had a few more moments in the car i can safely say things are better than i first imagined.

let me say this for now.....imagine haveing an rl-p 12 immediately behind you, not more than 2.5 feet from the front of the woofer to the back of your head!

:slayer: wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyy!

:fing34:

OK HERE IT SOME

You can't just do something like this and say "hey look RL-p infinite baffle".

SURE I CAN

We need your opinions, thoughts, in-depth anaylasis, comments on performance,,

HARD TO SAY RIGHT NOW ,ITS ONLY BEEN IN THE CAR FOR A FEW HOURS AND I HAVE ONLY DRIVEN THE CAR A LITTLE.

at both low and high levels.

LOW TO MEDIUM LEVELS ARE INSANELY GOOD SQ,

I HAVENT TURNED IT UP TOO LOUD YET AS IM SLIGHTLY AFRAID OF DAMAGEING THE BEAUTY AS IT IS NOT CONTROLLED BY A BOX!...BUT ILL GET OVER IT :slayer:

how well it blends with the rest of your system.

WEIRD YOU ASK THAT,WHEN I FIRST WENT OUT WITH IT,A LITTLE 'SNOOPDOG' CD SPINNING I KEPT LOOKING DOWN AT MY FEET THINKING"WHO THE F&^K INSTALLED A PAIR OF 8 INCH MID BASS DOWN THERE WHEN I WASNT LOOKING :blink:

Descriptions of your trunk,

LOOK AT THE PICS ITS A 1989 MAZDA 626,AND THE ONLY THINGS I CARE ABOUT ARE THAT IT RUNS WELL AND IT SOUNDS AS GOOD AS POSSIBLE!

how well is it sealed off.

PRETTY GOOD,

Daammnn you, that's like saying "You should see my killer install" and then don't post pics.

I POSTED PICS! ITS A BIT GHETTO THO! :poop:

Don't you realize we are a bunch of obsessive compulsives audio fanatics.

JOIN THE CLUB BRO! I LIE AWAKE AT NIGHT...MOST NIGHTS THINKING ABOUT HOW I CAN MAKE IT BETTER :stupid:

Thats like cutting up steaks all day to feed to the wolves but then your forget the steaks and go visit the wolves all bloody and meaty smelling......

WRITE A BOOK,ITS A BEAUTIFUL IMAGE THAT WILL STAY WITH ME FOREVER..........THANKS.

awww yeahhh, that was a good fix

straight down the vein.......

but now I am itchin.....thinking about a AP box.....hmmmmmm

lol....chit now I'll be lying awake thinking about it...hahaha

.thinking about a AP box.....hmmmmmm

It should yield almost identical response as the IB setup. THe thing is, you need to completely seal the front from the rear same as in IB setup, so you might as well just stick with that.

To the original poster, if you think it sounds good now, you should try separating the front and rear waves 100%. You'll be even more pleased. Isn't it wonderful to have such a versatile driver?

.thinking about a AP box.....hmmmmmm

It should yield almost identical response as the IB setup. THe thing is, you need to completely seal the front from the rear same as in IB setup, so you might as well just stick with that.

To the original poster, if you think it sounds good now, you should try separating the front and rear waves 100%. You'll be even more pleased. Isn't it wonderful to have such a versatile driver?

i think the front and rear waves are completely seperated, the trunk is seald well from the rest of the car? and i installed the driver so it fires all its out-put straight into car cabin! i guess there is probably some leakage around the shelf and sides of the seats,but the reason i decided to try this in the first place is that the car is well made,and the seperation between the trunk and the cabin is good.im in n california,and if anyone wants to hear it id be glad to meet somewhere!

i guess life is a compramise most of the time? if you marry a girl with a skinny @ss, you aint gonna get no 'junk in the trunk'!

the rl-p mounted I.B. is 'insanely accurate' retains its ability to play 'really low' with 'demonic authority' has the best speed 'transient response?' i have ever heard in one of my cars, and gets 'plenty loud'.

i have heard it do a couple of things i wasnt sure about,this may be due to the fact that the seat is moveing slightly at higher volumes-lower notes,or the leaking air possibility,or maybe because i have the amp mounted so close it might be shakeing a bit...alot, and effecting somthing? and im sure i f i wanted to i could do some investigateing and find out,but as i said before im 41 this year, my days of listening to 100 and ? db are over, i value my hearing.

this sub mounting configuration have everthing i want, astonishing sq, evil lows, scary speed, and plenty of volume. i live in california and most of my driving is done with the windows open, even at 70mph the bass is 'in your face'.... and your kidneys............

my typeing is getting worse!

spelling has always been bad!

DO NOT DRINK 'MOUNTAIN DEW' FOR BREAKFAST!

wow, very interesting to hear

well its been i.b. for over a week now and yesterday i tried a 2cube slotported box tuned to 32-34hz? (dimensions were a little off as the cutsheet and desighn were slightly different) ididnt like slot ported one bit? some of my music has real real lows and with the ssf at about 30 i was missing all of it! in the i.b set up i get all of it , also i dont know about where a ported box rools off up higher bit it seemed to me that it wasnt playing anything above about 70 hz? afterplaying with the ported box for an hour and tweaking i realized it was never going to give me what i want. the i.b sounds great - on everything. untill i start to play loud, then it freaks out a bit, im going to build a box 1.25-ish, around the sub and then ill have a sealed box fireing straight into the cabin. meanwhile if anyone wants a free 2 cubed tuned to 32-34 hz box and your near n cal, come ne get it, otherwise its going on the fire!

I like hearing the SS sounds good IB, show it's versitility. Makes me want to play around with a aperiodic design. Keep the reviews flowing when you box it up.

FYI...subs arent meant to play above 70Hz, that is the region where the frequencies become directional.

Your SSF was set too high... tuned to 32Hz, the filter shouldn't even need to be used. They are supposed to set it to 1/2 octave below tuning, which turns out to be 24Hz, and unless you are playing tones or some crazy pipe organ stuff that plays that low...

The 1st sentence can be argued, but we wont go there

interesting? when sealed in this box the rl-p is not remarkeably different than in the i.b. arrangement after first listen? sq is different -not better or worse just 'preference subjective'.....

the rl-p,

ib is,

1. effortlessly low,

2.'breathy' in delivery,

3.very musical and non fatigueing

4.gets a little confused at higher volumes (probably because my trunk area is not perfectly sealed)

2.in this box,

1.almost as low??????????? really close????

2. more 'obvious'in its delivery

3.not confused at allat higher volumes.

4.a little 'boxy' (probably because its in a box)

so im going to leave it like this as long as i can and report more when ive had more time with it.cant say for sure i didnt enjoy the ib arrangement so much i wont seal that trunk up perfect? (lots of wood and fibreglass and time)??

ill get back!

8znzer.jpg

8znzoh.jpg

the strap was just to hold it while i screwed it..... :wub: (like my wife) :slayer:

FYI...subs arent meant to play above 70Hz, that is the region where the frequencies become directional.

Your SSF was set too high... tuned to 32Hz, the filter shouldn't even need to be used. They are supposed to set it to 1/2 octave below tuning, which turns out to be 24Hz, and unless you are playing tones or some crazy pipe organ stuff that plays that low...

mmmmmm?? welll my phoenix gold mono sub amp has a lowpass crossover variable from 300-30hz and my jvc head unit has a sub x over @ 60-80-100 and 120 so im guessing 'they' think we can get more from our subs than just 30-70? and the ss filter goes down to 5!

i play a lot of hip hop / rap and jazz some rock / metal dance rnb soul err actuall depending on my mood i listen to everyhing?,some of the bass guitars have 5 and 6 strings, i dont know what the freqs are of a 6 string bass but its WAY low....... and some of the rap hip hop stuff has synths etc on them that are stupid low..........if your box/sub/amp can get there! :woot:

Yes, you can get more... but the higher bass frequencies (from ~70-200Hz) are directional. If you want any sort of soundstage, they are to be reproduced by the midbass drivers.

Yes, you can get more... but the higher bass frequencies (from ~70-200Hz) are directional. If you want any sort of soundstage, they are to be reproduced by the midbass drivers.

not into soundstage, just tunes! my fronts are 4.5 and rears are 5.5 gotta get a bit a midbass somewhere!

had my first 'real crank' today...steve vai 'passion and warefare' not the best produced cd in the world but man does my car sound good...

after the line driver and some poly fill installed today i dont think ill be doing anything to it for a while!..................so loud, so tight, so deep.......